Sponsored

Do we know when the Ecodiesel will be released?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I was just browsing one of the Ram forums. Sounds like production will begin this summer with deliveries Aug maybe
Sponsored

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I was just browsing one of the Ram forums. Sounds like production will begin this summer with deliveries Aug maybe
For the RAM, but the JL and JT won't be until 2020.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
JL and JT won't be until 2020.
FCA exec at LA auto show stated Gladiator diesel availability is CY2020. This “commitment” could legitimately be met by FCA even if the diesel rolls out as late as Dec 31, 2020, approaching nearly 2 years out from now. This assumes no slips, no EPA issues, etc. I figure any date prior to Dec 31, 2020 will be icing on the cake. My realistic expectation is closer to mid-year 2021, but who knows...

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
FCA exec at LA auto show stated Gladiator diesel availability is CY2020. This “commitment” could legitimately be met by FCA even if the diesel rolls out as late as Dec 31, 2020, approaching nearly 2 years out from now. This assumes no slips, no EPA issues, etc. I figure any date prior to Dec 31, 2020 will be icing on the cake. My realistic expectation is closer to mid-year 2021, but who knows...
Well.... I guess I'll be getting a RAM or I bet the Ford Baby Raptor will come here with a diesel before they get the 3.0 in the Gladiator.

I crossed the Honda Ridgeline off my list (as soon as I knew it ever existed)

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I'm kinda tired of waiting and waiting and waiting..... I think I'm going to talk to my buddy who owns a GMC dealership and possibly order a GMC AT4- pretty cool off-roadability and decent $ for what you get Drive it for a few years and then see what the Gladiator is like.

Last edited:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the diesel has been tested in JT already, the emissions scandal has cleared, and Ram will commence selling ecodiesels this summer, so I believe JT will have diesel within a year

Evo_KnEvo

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura MDX, 2014 Subaru STi
So today I went by my local Jeep dealership to see when they expect to have a Gladiator on the lot so I can see one in person. They have 2 or 3 showing up in May. I’ve owned Jeeps for 25 years and I have decided to hold out for the diesel too. The sales guy today tells me that their corporate rep or whoever, just this week came by and told them to not even discuss it. Remove it from their memory. Apparently there is some issues with it and according to the rep it’s not likely to happen. I can’t imagine it’s BS to try and sell more gassers. They won’t be able to keep them on the lot even with the Pentastar. My last Jeep had a V8 and 37’s and was looking forward to the better MPG’s and torque with the diesel. I’m content on waiting at least another year for it. Jeep already hit a home run with this Gladiator. Offering a diesel would simply be a Grand Slam. They would be fool not to do it. Fingers crossed.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Funny how there are seldom positive rumors around the diesel...

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So today I went by my local Jeep dealership to see when they expect to have a Gladiator on the lot so I can see one in person. They have 2 or 3 showing up in May. I’ve owned Jeeps for 25 years and I have decided to hold out for the diesel too. The sales guy today tells me that their corporate rep or whoever, just this week came by and told them to not even discuss it. Remove it from their memory. Apparently there is some issues with it and according to the rep it’s not likely to happen. I can’t imagine it’s BS to try and sell more gassers. They won’t be able to keep them on the lot even with the Pentastar. My last Jeep had a V8 and 37’s and was looking forward to the better MPG’s and torque with the diesel. I’m content on waiting at least another year for it. Jeep already hit a home run with this Gladiator. Offering a diesel would simply be a Grand Slam. They would be fool not to do it. Fingers crossed.

Just not up with current news....

Sponsored

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
I certainly hope the guy was wrong. Seems like the dealership finding this out from their rep this week was pretty current.
Same thing here in Canada... Last week, one of my local dealerships was advising me not to hope too much for the diesel and that I would be well served by the Pentastar...

ryno79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dealerships are always going to say nothing further or any new options are coming as they want you to buy NOW, they don't want you to wait 6 months to a year +. However, for the diesel it really is anyone's guess.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
“They promised EcoDiesel for JL Wrangler for fall 2018. Then it became spring 2019. Then it became we don't know.”

FCA exec at 2018 LA Auto Show said diesel will be avaiable in CY2020. So, if it’s anytime prior to midnight on Dec 31, 2020, take that as better than expected.
Thats for the JT not the JL. The JL was promised at LA Auto show 2017 that it would be out this year then got pushed back to early 2019 (at least the last I heard). I'm curious if the JL will come out with it first or if they will start offering both the JL and JT in the diesel at the same time.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

More confirmation 4/22/2019

"First, Jim Morrison, confirmed that the light-duty EcoDiesel engine is still in development and on track to go on sale by the end of 2019. Considering this timing, we assume it be part of the 2020 Ram 1500 model year. It’s a 3.0-liter V6 turbo-diesel, which is the next iteration of the design that was there before. The power output has not been released, but this V6 diesel will also see duty in the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator vehicles in 2020".
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/04/re...0-ecodiesel-is-coming-by-the-end-of-the-year/

Edit: The story was obtained at NYIAS and several truck pubs are regurgitating the same article
Sponsored