Diesel vs gas

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
What made me steer clear of wanting the eco diesel, and trust me, it was hard, was that I had seen a few reports of the ecodiesel has subpar quality crankshaft bearings and that at 150k miles, the bearings effectively exploded causing severe engine damage (to which FCA put out a recall or whatever simply saying to use a lighter weight oil or something to that extent). At that point I was like nope, no thank you. And since there is a good chance a fully loaded Rubicon with a diesel could push people to 70-80k after taxes, more expensive fuel, (potentially) more expensive registration, lower towing rating, and the headaches that exist from all the emissions control... yes, I'd rather just put a turbo on the pentastar to get closer to the diesel fuel economy/range.
Honestly I would have jumped on a Hemi powered gladiator in a heartbeat! More towing power, awesome sound, endless possibilities with supercharger kits, tried and true etc... I honestly would think about a v8 swap down the road if the gladiator feels like a pig with all the Gear/Tires/bumpers and all. I know its not a full size truck but I know a lot of us are nervous about the diesel and love that V8 sound/performance. What is more American then a V8 powered Jeep Pickup? :like:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Honestly I would have jumped on a Hemi powered gladiator in a heartbeat! More towing power, awesome sound, endless possibilities with supercharger kits, tried and true etc... I honestly would think about a v8 swap down the road if the gladiator feels like a pig with all the Gear/Tires/bumpers and all. I know its not a full size truck but I know a lot of us are nervous about the diesel and love that V8 sound/performance. What is more American then a V8 powered Jeep Pickup? :like:
A diesel powered one...

:CWL::CWL::CWL:

Reactions: JP1

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
I agree, so much so, that I was comparing the difference between a prodigy turbo and a hellcrate for work later on down the road.

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
A diesel powered one...

:CWL::CWL::CWL:
Agreed, if only the diesel of the New age was as reliable as the older ones. But time will tell with the new version, hopefully they worked out the issues of the last gen.

I agree, so much so, that I was comparing the difference between a prodigy turbo and a hellcrate for work later on down the road.
:devil:

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
We have a Ram 1500 that we bought new. We live at high elevation and drive the truck very short distances during the work week (1 mile one-way). We've started the truck in many single digit mornings and in temperatures as cold as -12*F. The truck is plugged in every night during the cold months. We've also towed a 7,000 lb. camper over some of the steepest mountain passes in the United States. We've towed the camper in 17 states from California to Florida. We now have 68,000 miles on the odometer. The only problems we've had is the MAP sensor plugging with soot and the EGR cooler leaking. The EGR cooler was covered under the extended warranty. Because I'm OCD, I replace the MAP sensor every 25,000 miles, but it could be cleaned. In all, I have been very impressed with how well the Ecodiesel has held up considering the abuse that we've put it through. There are a few things that I would like to bring clarity to. DEF is very cheap ($7.88 at Walmart for 2.5 gallon jug) and you don't use very much of it. I have all of my fuel and DEF records for 2018. Please take into consideration that at least 1/2 of the miles driven in 2018 were towing mileage, therefore more DEF was consumed.

2018 Total gallons of fuel consumed: 1,142.22
2018 Total fuel cost: $3,683.53
2018 Total gallons of DEF: 12.5 gallons
2018 Total Cost of DEF: $39.4

I also buy a 3 oil change bundle from my local dealer, which is MUCH cheaper than paying for them individually. My dealer will also change the fuel filer for free while doing the oil change as long as I supply the fuel filter.

It is true that I'm biased towards diesel, but my experiences with the Ecodiesel have been mostly positive. I'm looking forward to buying more Ecodiesel powered vehicles in the future.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Anyone here done a chip/tuner on a Pentastar?
Results?/Issues?

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I'd like to know exactly what they revised on the Gen 2 engine. Did they address the engines seizing up? Did they fix the camshaft sprocket issue? Is the Gen 2 engine going to actually be a 100,000+ mile engine? I'm going to have to see evidence before I'll even consider it after what I've seen with the Gen 1 engine.
It better be a 500,000 mile engine like other diesels can be.
Sponsored