First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Adventure Education Programs Director
Test drove a zr2 duramax this past summer. It didn't feel too sluggish and the interior felt pretty good for a mid size truck. I liked the fact you could get it with a full size bed as well. Curious to see how the Bison edition compares to the Rubicon. I don't think anything could best the open air experience, though.
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Shots fired! The gal raves about the Tacoma's ability to use ply wood in the bed of the truck. The JT has it's work cutout for it!

Surprised on how crappy the Ranger came out of that contest.
I’m not - the ranger is 8(!) years old, competing against much more modern trucks...

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I drove the Colorado diesel while waiting for the JL. I thought the diesel was under whelming. And I was driving an old 3.8 jeep rubcion with 35s 410 standard gears. I thought is was nice but underwhelming.

MY take is this the truck should have come with 315-70 17 rigth off the floor. I had a hummer h3 and I put a full 35 on it no problem. This is where I think the differnce between Jeep designers and Chevy designers really gets exposed. Jeep planned for you to swap on 315-70-17. Chevy did not!

imagine this truck stock with 35's? Then there is the overlanding side. How difficult would it have been to put an suv body a-la th the original blazer, with a removal shell. Instead what they did was stick the blazer name on a wimpy F--- suv. No salute to history there.

Finally If you have ever seen a blazer chalet It was a limited run fullsize blazer with a full camper on the back without really compromising the functionality of the blazer. so image this a ZR2 equiped with 35 straigt away and the ability ot order it as truck Suv or camper! hvaing owned a few chevy products inthe past. Lover that big ol 85 suburban with solid axels and lazy boy captians chairs. and a 95 2 door sport. As soon as chevy went to torsion bar suspension their product went into the tank. So I just don't think that the jeep gladiator is going to be challenged too much. Unless they screw the Pooch onthe price. '
JUST My Humble rant this morning .

Basically the same thing goes for the ford ranger.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I’m not - the ranger is 8(!) years old, competing against much more modern trucks...
wait, so the ranger that just came back to america, is the same ranger they've been selling overseas for 8 years?

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
wait, so the ranger that just came back to america, is the same ranger they've been selling overseas for 8 years?
A new Ranger is already in the works. Will be here most likely as a 2022 model. Ford is going to release the Bronco and then the new Ranger. The current Ranger is a T1 Global platform. The US Ranger has a new Powertrain and a few other minor features.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
A new Ranger is already in the works. Will be here most likely as a 2022 model. Ford is going to release the Bronco and then the new Ranger. The current Ranger is a T1 Global platform. The US Ranger has a new Powertrain and a few other minor features.
I'm interested to see what the new bronco will look like. I read NO 2 DOOR. That's a bummer, the 2 door rendering i saw looked sweet.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Honestly I was shocked by price and MPG of the midsize trucks. I test drove 8 different trucks over the weekend including zr2 diesel and trd pro. The MPG was almost the same as a full size (other than the diesel). The price was also a shock as the midsize trucks I was interested in were more expensive after discounts. I narrowed it down to GMC AT4, Tacoma TRD pro, ZR2 diesel and RAM rebel. The small trucks had a better MSRP but the dealers offered better discounts on the full size trucks. I checked at 3 dealers on the TRD PRO and all were at MSRP and would not budge. The ZR2's were coming in at $49 sticker 45K out the door. The GMC was 57k and $51 out the door. The ram was 52k and 45K out the door.

I ended up with the RAM in the end and will buy a gladiator in the future but it was interested to see the pricing.
I had a 2012 RAM. Was the best Full Size Truck I even owned, over the F-150 FX4, GMC Sierra, and Chevy ZR2 Pickupo and Blazer.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Nearly so . . . it has some "Americanization" to it .
What I would like to add to this equation, rather than start yet another COMPARE Thread is this . . . > TFL just came up with a Compare Video of the Colorado & Ranger, sighting they can't compare to GLAD. yet !
Puzzling to me is the fact that both these trucks are ~ 200 pounds Lighter than a comparable GLAD., and yet the engine/Tranny combos both have MORE Torque than the upcoming GLAD. One has More hp too; the other Less hp !
The GLAD. comes in at ~ 4600 pounds & only 285 hp & 260pf of torque - the least of the 3 ! Now on the JLU it hasn't been an "issue" best I can tell - it gets the job done and has for a long time (JK/JL - talking 3.6 only). These 2 (JKUR/JLUR) are more in line with the Colorado/Ranger weights . I'll toot my horn AGAIN - JT needs more hp & torque ! And why is it the Competition can come up with a substantial amount more torque with Similar engines ? Turbo ? I plead ignorance on that part; haven't done my homework . . . any insights ? I don't EVER indulge any curiosity/impulsiveness for anything other than the JLU / JT .

Sponsored

Jeepfreak

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Because it's a jeep and the others aren't ⛰⛺

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I'm interested to see what the new bronco will look like. I read NO 2 DOOR. That's a bummer, the 2 door rendering i saw looked sweet.
But... How will it handle plywood?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But... How will it handle plywood?
probably poorly. kids and adults will likely spit on them and write "not plywood rate" on their hood in the snow. poor bronco.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Wait, I don't have dual snorkels!
Sponsored