Let’s talk Ecodiesel

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
While the EFW will fix the problem part at no cost, it doesn't make up for time lost while waiting to get it fixed (or in some of my cases waiting for the dealer to get a part before they can even fix it since the dealer didn't stock most diesel exhaust parts), or the pain of being stuck in limp-home mode with a max speed of 15 mph until they can do a forced regen.
So, in summary, if you are on a trail too long it could need a regen? Which normally happens at highway speeds? (what are the parameters?) and if you can't regen you get limp mode and the only way to correct this situation is with a dealer visit or have a WITECH? (that may or may not work anymore since they are going with a cloud version hence no more WITECH or other device)
Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
So, in summary, if you are on a trail too long it could need a regen? Which normally happens at highway speeds? (what are the parameters?) and if you can't regen you get limp mode and the only way to correct this situation is with a dealer visit or have a WITECH? (that may or may not work anymore since they are going with a cloud version hence no more WITECH or other device)
The EcoDiesel emissions system is really meant to be run for long times at high speeds. Stop and go traffic, short hops, and probably harder core off roading/rock crawling don't work well with the emissions system. The emission system determines how often to run the regen cycle. It seems to be every 300 miles or so, but probably depends on the engine cycles or emission sensors. Normally this would occur while you are driving and never get a notice. Sometimes I'll get a message to the effect "regen cycle in progress...continue driving at highway speeds." It takes about 20 minutes for the regen cycle to complete. If you are say 5 minutes from work and turn the engine off, when you get back in it will try again. Unfortunately, it seems to be tied into the speedometer, and just running the engine at 3k RPM won't run the regen cycle (unless you run the dealer procedure using the WITECH).

If it can't complete the regen, eventually it will kick into a "limp home" mode where it will limit the vehicle speed to 15 MPH. So if you are somewhere where you cannot drive at freeway speeds, you can be royally f**ked. Only way to reset it is with a dealer visit. I only got stuck in limp home once. The local dealer (where I bought the GC from) was telling me he couldn't fit me in for a week. It was still under warranty at the time, so I made a stink with the manager, and got it fixed the next day.

I did have a NOx sensor fail. For that one the emissions system got into a mode where it would say "vehicle will not restart in 200 miles." Only took a few days until that countdown got close to zero. Luckily got the parts in and repaired just in time. Again, vehicle was running fine, but because some emission parameters were out of spec the vehicle was going to lock me out from even starting it.

The electronics on the EcoDiesel emission system is too restrictive and dealer dependent to fix. That's why I'll never buy another FCA diesel.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
It also tends to give you a couple hundred miles warning before any limp or no restart modes kick in.

Unless you are only using this thing on trails all the time with no long travel in between, you will never know when you need or it starts a Regen unless you pay attention to the mpg meter or have a GDE tune that pops it up on the dash.

As little as 25 miles at 45 and up with no super long stop lights is plenty to get a full Regen done.

It doesn't popup and tell you it needs a Regen from the factory unless it's been interrupted too many times and it's back pressure is high enough to warrant it. Even then you have to ignore that warning for a while before it goes into limp mode.

Again unless you only run trails for several weeks you are unlikely to run into any issues. Just take it on the highway once a month for a 25 mile trip.

Also, no restart modes simply disable the starter, not the actual running systems. There are threads on ram1500ecodiesel forums discussing shorting to contacts in the fuse box to restart in an emergency if this no restart message takes over.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I've had a regen occur while on Black bear Pass on my 2015 ecodiesel WK2. Never got over 5-10mph and stopped and took a lot of pics (I left the Jeep running). It took awhile, but it completed the whole regen on the trail. No highway speeds. I've also completed a few Regens in stop and go city traffic without reaching highway speeds.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I MIGHT be okay with it on the road. Hell, it might even be a neat thing to show off to people. But off road, or in extreme weather, I feel like this would be terrible. Last thing I want is to be on a 30 degree hill and the engine turns off to save fuel. I plan on getting an automatic (yeah yeah) but I do a lot of left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator. So, if I'm fully stopped with my foot on the brake, but I want to give it fuel, can I ??? Too many unknowns for me at the moment.
I had just driven down this and turned around to drive back up, guy with a camera told me to stop as it wanted to take a pic...YEA, not a good time for the engine to shut down and restart.

DSC_0042.jpeg

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Pretty sure in 4wd or at least 4 low disables auto start/stoo

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Tabernac! The Jeep site has the Ecodiesel option available for the GC and it's $4500. Since the GC already has an 8 sp auto, I assume the diesel option is gonna be stupid high on the JT.
It's important to notice the up charges for the diesel engines are compared to the base 6 cylinder engines. When I purchased my 2015 Ram 1500 the EcoDiesel was ~$1400 more expensive than the Hemi V8. The V8 was ~$1,400 more than the base engine. The dollar values may be off, but my point is that the EcoDiesel is more expensive but not as bad as many people report because they are comparing to the V6 engine in GC and Ram1500. Most people get the Hemi in the Ram 1500 so the up charge is not close to the $4,500 if you're looking at the Hemi anyway. Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored

spiveyracing

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
my only beef is you can't buy an air filter for the 3.0. even the local jeep dealer cant get them. guess ill have to buy a cold air intake to get a filter

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
you can try search for this part #
68293164AB

thats the pn i used at diesel filters online and it was physically the same as OEM when delivered
Sponsored