looking for good trails with great scenery

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What are your favorite trails to ride on when you want to see beautiful scenery? The trails that require a bit of clearance and a 4x4, but aren't really about the technical crawling and sliding so much as the destinations they open up. I live in Southern Utah and get my fill of red rocks and deserts, so mountains, green forests, and water are what I long for.

I'm planning to get a Gladiator mainly so I can take my family (wife, preteen kids) on adventures. I'm coming from a Honda Accord, so other than the occasional trip with my dad and brothers, I haven't had access to a lot of what's out there.

So where do you go when you want to see something amazing and feel sorry for all the poor folks in crossovers? Realistically I will only make it to locations in the west that I can get to in a day or two, but I'd love to hear about places in the rest of the country, too. Maybe we'll fly out and rent something for a few days. We live in a big, beautiful country and I can't wait to see more of it!
Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Sedona Arizona is an amazing place and there are quite a lot of trails. I've only spent a short day there on my way back from Phoenix and ran Broken Arrow Trail, but there are many trails and its on my list to go back and spend more time there.

Ouray Colorado is another one of my favorites, I've been there a handful of times.

Moab Utah of course, has trails from easy to very difficult and everything in between.

Those are a few of my favorites.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Alpine loop in CO. I like to start in Telluride and end in Telluride. Up via Imogene, down via Black Bear and all the rest in between such as Ouray, Lake City, silverton etc..

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
2E10CA8E-6A1F-40C0-B31B-273273294ADF.jpeg
Alpine loop in CO. I like to start in Telluride and end in Telluride. Up via Imogene, down via Black Bear and all the rest in between such as Ouray, Lake City, silverton etc..

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
Personally I wouldn't recommend Black Bear Pass for an inexperienced driver (with his family) coming out of a Honda Accord....but the scenery *IS* something to behold.... Some of those turns are tough for Wranglers, much less Gladiators.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Funny to me because you live where everyone goes to fourh wheel. Ok so ...

Basically, you are in the four corners so you've got the San Juans, Raton Rass, the Mogollon Rim. I figure if you start now, by maybe five years you could get many days rides!

There's several overtop a mountain in Salida. You get up past tree line in that high mountain valley and you're happy. Lots of old mine roads.

Down from there into Taos.

Just south of the Grand Canyon into northern az is what you want too, ponderosa forest all day.

Earth view and see if you can foller this... A route I'd do, south of Page find a road 40 miles north of Flagstaff across Babbitt ranch. They lock people now but it should be public Access. Go across there to the road connecting Flagstaff and the grand canyon. Turn right, 5 miles, turn left on FR 144. Tons of roads in there. Follow that down to I-40. East on i-40 turning south onto 17. Right about 30 miles on to schnebley hill road into sedona. Take your camera!

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
Personally I wouldn't recommend Black Bear Pass for an inexperienced driver (with his family) coming out of a Honda Accord....but the scenery *IS* something to behold.... Some of those turns are tough for Wranglers, much less Gladiators.
Yeah, you have a point, I forgot about the Accord background. In that case, keep everything the same except drop back into Telluride via Ophir Pass instead of Black Bear.

I've done pretty much everything 5JeepsAZ mentioned also and you cannot go wrong there either. The areas around Flagstaff are pretty stunning, cannot wait to be back in the area in 2 weeks..

OP
OP

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Some great suggestions, thanks!

I definitely need to explore northern Arizona. With the Grand Canyon in the way, it's not "on the way" to anything and I've never spent any time there. I think my wife would have a heart attack if I took her down Black Bear pass.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Funny to me because you live where everyone goes to fourh wheel. Ok so ...

Basically, you are in the four corners so you've got the San Juans, Raton Rass, the Mogollon Rim. I figure if you start now, by maybe five years you could get many days rides!

There's several overtop a mountain in Salida. You get up past tree line in that high mountain valley and you're happy. Lots of old mine roads.

Down from there into Taos.

Just south of the Grand Canyon into northern az is what you want too, ponderosa forest all day.

Earth view and see if you can foller this... A route I'd do, south of Page find a road 40 miles north of Flagstaff across Babbitt ranch. They lock people now but it should be public Access. Go across there to the road connecting Flagstaff and the grand canyon. Turn right, 5 miles, turn left on FR 144. Tons of roads in there. Follow that down to I-40. East on i-40 turning south onto 17. Right about 30 miles on to schnebley hill road into sedona. Take your camera!
Hate to say it - not really, just kidding - but 5JeepsAZ Has got "the Goods" so far, for YOU !
IF you have Google Earth Pro (free) and do a google search your Supply of GREAT FORESTED MOUNTAINS, VALLEYS AND TRAILS will come to light ! In my neck of the woods I have Western Montana and Central Washington State (my home State) ! I usually just drive threw Idaho so I can't comment on It. Also The Olympic Peninsula (Rain Forest for the most part) is BEAUTIFUL and don't forget to drive on down to the BEACH when there . Same for Western Oregon . . . you can zig zag east & west through the Mountains - a stop in Bend is always a treat . 3 years ago I did a trip to Colorado - starting in the Basalt area and worked my way South West down to Gunnison (The Gorge* area - take a rafting tour, better yet a fly fishing trip), on down to Lake City, back to Montrose and down to Silverton & (of course) Ouray & Telluride. Pretty much my route . . . and you can find all the National Forests your heart desires for Camping, fishing . . . the rivers and streams are the real Gems - what can I say I'm a Pisces Fly Fisher :clap: ! best of success on your "tripping" ! ;)
ps; if you do get a Gladiator you owe it to the JT to "stretch its legs on a LONGER Journey - take a week Vacation - 2 long days drive away, 3 great days there and 2 days back home ! ? . Flying ? Unless you can put the JT in onboard stowage it's a waste - Why buy it if it's gonna sit in a parking spot at home ? :facepalm: .

Last edited:

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I believe that you would like Smokey mountain road near page arizona, left hand collet road, both east and West side of the hole in the wall road, the same area has the devils back bone road, that area has a lot of roads near Smokey mountain road is blm 522, this a long road that very seldom traveled, less than 12 people travel a year. on to the to the north rim look at badger canyon, a free campground near the vermilion cliffs.

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
Yeah, you have a point, I forgot about the Accord background. In that case, keep everything the same except drop back into Telluride via Ophir Pass instead of Black Bear.

I've done pretty much everything 5JeepsAZ mentioned also and you cannot go wrong there either. The areas around Flagstaff are pretty stunning, cannot wait to be back in the area in 2 weeks..
Have you taken the gladiator on any of those yet? Looking to take a trip to Ouray this summer. I've done most of those trails (except Black Bear) in a Wrangler or side-by-side, but never anything as long as a Gladiator.

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Most any of the trails around Buena Vista/Taylor Park, Colorado.
Jeep Gladiator looking for good trails with great scenery IMG_0337
Sponsored