Gladiator Safari Cap (make this)

OP
OP

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
This is the Brute of Dave Harriton, owner and founder of AEV, with (I believe) a custom bed frame. I would love this for the Gladiator, BUT if it could also accommodate for the stock OME tonneau cover for us East Coasters where it rains!!! I followed AEV for over a decade. I love their stuff. Hey Dave I understand you are from the Poconos originally. That’s were we love to go off-road around here.

FE1B8290-4823-4155-8848-DA82603ECBA7.jpeg
6C980130-45B1-4AB6-8048-4C5D399FD1C4.jpeg
0FA104A3-59F1-454F-95B0-CFBD3135F1FA.jpeg

Sponsored

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
qn9sdqc-jpg.jpg

I want something like this with dog safe netting so my GSD and English Mastiff can go riding with me but in the bed... removable, durable, safari look, for a lifted black Glad Rubi - ordered!

OP
OP

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I second that just as he says!!!! And make the frame strong enough to carry things on top when fabric is off.

qn9sdqc-jpg.jpg

I want something like this with dog safe netting so my GSD and English Mastiff can go riding with me but in the bed... removable, durable, safari look, for a lifted black Glad Rubi - ordered!

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I want something like this also, and there is already a manufacturer that makes a product along these lines. Can put racks on top - even when the fabric is in place. Now we just need to get them to make a version to fit the Gladiator- or else find out if the bed rail/ tailgate dimensions from a 5ft bed Tacoma or 5ft bed Nissan Frontier would be close enough to adapt. I have no connection with the company, I just want one. Let's get people to express interest directly to them in hopes that they recognize and serve the Gladiator market
https://www.can-back.com/

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
qn9sdqc-jpg.jpg

I'd buy this in a heart beat.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I want something like this also, and there is already a manufacturer that makes a product along these lines. Can put racks on top - even when the fabric is in place. Now we just need to get them to make a version to fit the Gladiator- or else find out if the bed rail/ tailgate dimensions from a 5ft bed Tacoma or 5ft bed Nissan Frontier would be close enough to adapt. I have no connection with the company, I just want one. Let's get people to express interest directly to them in hopes that they recognize and serve the Gladiator market
https://www.can-back.com/
I really like that! It looks like they have side mount options and a few other things like windows as well. The thing is that they look a bit expensive. It seems like this should be a lot cheaper than rld designs steel cap and maybe on par with leitner don't you think?

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
There's another thread on here where @BuiltRight constructed this:
BuiltRite_bedrack.jpg

And that got me thinking that @BuiltRight has a Gladiator and the CNC plasma cutting tools too.
BuiltRite_CNC.jpg

So...@BuiltRight...we may have a business proposition for you!

What we need is the framework to support this canopy:
LandRover_130bedcover.jpg

Here's a starting point for the parts we'd need to support a canvas cover:
  • 3 flat steel top plates that exactly match the shape outline of the top of the Gladiator bed sides and front bed wall
    - perhaps make these "L" shaped to reach down into the bed & bolt into the
    stock cargo rail bolt hole locations
    - the "L" shape could be either bent or 2 parts that bolt together
    - see photos below...this eliminates need to drill bed rails

• 1 flat steel top plate to sit on top of the tailgate (again exact shape match)
    - need to determine how to attach to tailgate? (without drilling if possible)

• 3 round steel tubes for U-shaped hoops (one on each end...and one or two in the middle)
    - these go up vertical and over the bed to support the canvas roof
    - need to add 6 tabs or slightly larger tube sections to 3 top plates in order to bolt the hoops on
    - bolt together hoops would be nice so could be broken down for initial shipping and later storage
  • miscellaneous cross-tubes for bracing the 3 main hoops
    - refer to photo of Land Rover canvas top frame
    - these all bolt onto the frame (tubes are typically flat at intersections to bolt together)

• locations to tie down the canvas cover
    - perhaps designing footman loops into all the above 4 top plates
All we need is the metal framework framework for this to be a reality! Then a local boat or automotive upholstery shop can make the canvas cover for it at their shop to the owner's own specs (i.e., windows, no windows, color of canvas).

What do you say @BuiltRight - yes is it possible???

Bed by cab.jpg

Bed left rail.jpg

Bed right rail.jpg

And if we really wanted to get crazy another version of this canopy could have larger/stronger hoop tubes that not only support the canvas canopy but also would allow cross-bars or an integrated roof rack too:

IMG_6714.PNG

Last edited:

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
There's another thread on here where @BuiltRight constructed this:
BuiltRite_bedrack.jpg

And that got me thinking that @BuiltRight has a Gladiator and the CNC plasma cutting tools too.

What do you say @BuiltRight - yes is it possible???
Well consider me intrigued. Let's back the requirements up a touch so that I can make sure I've got my arms around the end goal rather than the nuts and bolts of it.

1.) Need to support the weight/wind load of the canvas cover
2.) Need to provide space for snaps/velcro/etc to tie down cover at the bottom on four sides

What else?
Sponsored