Sponsored

Heads up Display....ON THE FRICKEN ROAD, son!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Ummm, Wow. That's why they make the big bucks!

"Heads-Up Display Capabilities: BMW has also said that the system’s “high power diodes” can essentially turn the road surface into a head’s up display. The lights can literally project information like MPH onto the road in the driver’s field of view."

https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/827/how-bmw-lasterlight-work-and-what-are-benefits/

"Officer, the road said 65mph, not 85mph.....you need new glasses boss!"

p.s. sorry this probably should be in "general automotive". or did you start a category for "fricken awesome finds"?
Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
My wife has a 2015 BMW X5 with the HUD, it's amazing! Displays speed, navi, and radio info right in front of you. The only thing I don't like is with some sunglassed, it's impossible to see.

It's a wonderful safety item.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I have a 2001 Corvette with the HUD, standard GM bluish white lighting, near impossible to see during day with shades on

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
This isnt a HUD in a sense of info being projected onto the wind shield like systems do currently, their idea is to use laser headlights to project the info onto the road itself. In the video I posted, one idea is to communicate to the pedestrian that the car has stopped and it is now safe to walk, so it shows moving foot prints projected onto the road in front of the pedestrian. It even will recognize oncoming traffic and project "Stop" to the pedestrian so they don't get hit. pretty crazy stuff, not going to be cheap if you crack a lens.

Side note, GM's new HUD are pretty good, the one on the GMC Serra Denali is HUGE and freaking bright, even works well with polarized sunglasses. The HUD on the XT5 and 6 are also pretty bright now but and definitely dimmer with polarized sunglasses on.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This isnt a HUD in a sense of info being projected onto the wind shield like systems do currently, their idea is to use laser headlights to project the info onto the road itself. In the video I posted, one idea is to communicate to the pedestrian that the car has stopped and it is now safe to walk, so it shows moving foot prints projected onto the road in front of the pedestrian. It even will recognize oncoming traffic and project "Stop" to the pedestrian so they don't get hit. pretty crazy stuff, not going to be cheap if you crack a lens.

Side note, GM's new HUD are pretty good, the one on the GMC Serra Denali is HUGE and freaking bright, even works well with polarized sunglasses. The HUD on the XT5 and 6 are also pretty bright now but and definitely dimmer with polarized sunglasses on.

I have an XT5 among my growing collection of Jeeps and I love the HUD and hope that it becomes standard on more cars (and Jeeps) in the future.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
My wife has a 2015 BMW X5 with the HUD, it's amazing! Displays speed, navi, and radio info right in front of you. The only thing I don't like is with some sunglassed, it's impossible to see.

It's a wonderful safety item.
right, but they're talking about projecting it onto the road.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@The4x4Guys Does your XT5 have the "Real time damping" or I think they also call it "Performance suspension" ?

Sponsored

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@The4x4Guys Does your XT5 have the "Real time damping" or I think they also call it "Performance suspension" ?
Honestly, I don't know - I have the Platinum Edition with AWD and virtually every option that was available (the dealer lost my order for a specific config and color, so they let me pick any XT5 from the lot for the same price - I picked the one with every option including dual DVD players in the rear)

I will pull out the manual today and see what is listed. From a list of options and standard feature, I do see this line on the build sheet for my car "F48 - ALL-WHEEL DRIVE FE5 - SUSPENSION, PERFORMANCE DRIVER SELECT MODES"

FYI - The XT5 is a family car, my JLUR is my daily driver, I have a 2003 TJ up on jack stands to become a weekend play thing someday.

lucky7t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JK Rubicon 4dr, 15 JK Sport 4dr
Heck I’m excited to have a back up camera . Read this article and was like the time they introduced laser discs

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@The4x4Guys That has it! sorry to go slightly off topic here but what do you think of the ride? thats one project I am doing/did the semi active shock tuning for.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do not get me wrong, I love my Jeeps. But when I get tired of the "Jeep ride" I take my XT5 out for a drive. It is a fast, responsive, soft but comfortable ride. The steering is as tight as any sports car I've owned, the V6 is as powerful as virtually any engine I've owned, and the ride quality is the best ride I've ever had.

Since I bought my JLUR, I don't drive the XT5 as much and even my wife is surprised that I haven't sold the XT5, but I love its ride and handling and it is a great break from the Jeep sometime.

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
When we get self driving cars I wonder if you will be able to do karaoke with the headlights?
Sponsored