Sponsored

Gladiators on Mopar 2" Lift Kit

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
The 17" Mopar Beadlock capable wheels are 8.0" wide with a +12mm offset, which makes the backspacing 4.972". Theer have been several pictures of Gladiators with these wheels running 35x12.50 tires. They are fully backed with a warranty through Mopar. If anyone is on the fence with what wheels to go with I'd recommend AEV being your last choice. I've seen numerous wheels from them that are defective. Just Google "AEV defective wheels" for reference.
Well, good thing I don't like the way AEV wheels look then :D
Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
The 17" Mopar Beadlock capable wheels are 8.0" wide with a +12mm offset, which makes the backspacing 4.972".
Good idea to look at Mopar's wheel offerings! Might be a typo, but wouldn't an 8.0" wheel width with a +12mm offset create 4.472" backspacing? (4" from center + 12mm which is 0.472")

In my opinion Mopar's backspacing on their JL/JT wheels is a good rule of thumb when shopping for wheels. Doing so should ensure that everything operates without obstruction on the back side. It also is likely just enough space for 35" (and maybe 37") tires to fully turn without rub...and without that super wide wheelbase look.

Here's a table that gives the offset required to match Mopar's backspacing for various wheel widths.
upload_2019-5-9_0-3-38.png

Every -25.4mm of offset pushes the tire 1" out from under the fender flares.
Wider wheels (while maintaining the same backspacing) will also push the outer edge of the wheel out from under the fender flares.

Extending the table to a 12" wheel, -39mm offset gives that wheel the 'Mopar backspace'. So, -44mm causes that wheel to fit the vehicle well...on the inside at least.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Good idea to look at Mopar's wheel offerings! Might be a typo, but wouldn't an 8.0" wheel width with a +12mm offset create 4.472" backspacing? (4" from center + 12mm which is 0.472")

In my opinion Mopar's backspacing on their JL/JT wheels is a good rule of thumb when shopping for wheels. Doing so should ensure that everything operates without obstruction on the back side. It also is likely just enough space for 35" (and maybe 37") tires to fully turn without rub...and without that super wide wheelbase look.

Here's a table that gives the offset required to match Mopar's backspacing for various wheel widths.
View attachment 14021
Wider wheels (while maintaining the same backspacing) will also push the outer edge of the wheel out from under the fender flares.

Extending the table to a 12" wheel, -39mm offset gives that wheel the 'Mopar backspace'. So, -44mm causes that wheel to fit the vehicle well...on the inside at least.
my bad i meant this one,
691fc9e5-fe8e-420c-801f-e27a8f94dc2f-jpeg.jpg

i went back, it is 12", WOW
22x12 -44 Hostile Rage

since41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee, Trackhawk, RAM DT,

upload_2019-5-9_0-3-38.png

In a simple world measuring backspacing would be as simple as figuring the offset into the width of the wheel. The issue that comes into play is the beadseat width.

"There is the width of the wheel as measured from the perspective of the tire (i.e. 17x8). This is the portion of the wheel where the tire bead sits. Then there is the total physical width of the wheel. This includes the inner and outer lip of the wheel. The part that would normally get balancing weights hammered into it, and also the part susceptible to ‘curb rash’.
It is widely accepted that these inner and outer lips add 1/2” each, meaning 1” total.
That is why a 17x8 inch wheel (8 as far as where the tire mounts) with a 0 offset will have 4.5” back spacing. The additional 1/2” is due to the ‘lip’ of the wheel. Hope this helps."

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
In a simple world measuring backspacing would be as simple as figuring the offset into the width of the wheel. The issue that comes into play is the beadseat width.

"There is the width of the wheel as measured from the perspective of the tire (i.e. 17x8). This is the portion of the wheel where the tire bead sits. Then there is the total physical width of the wheel. This includes the inner and outer lip of the wheel. The part that would normally get balancing weights hammered into it, and also the part susceptible to ‘curb rash’.
It is widely accepted that these inner and outer lips add 1/2” each, meaning 1” total.
That is why a 17x8 inch wheel (8 as far as where the tire mounts) with a 0 offset will have 4.5” back spacing. The additional 1/2” is due to the ‘lip’ of the wheel. Hope this helps."
So a 17x9 should have about - 12mm to be about perfect with stock inside placement?

Like the fuel beast 17x9 - 12 wheels?

since41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
holy BLEEP, are those wheels like $500 each?
$1548.86 shipped for a set of 4. You'll notice they show the backspacing at 4.4". I've seen others show it of having the "proper" backspacing of 5" to add 35" tires coupled with a 2" Mopar lift for JLs.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$1548.86 shipped for a set of 4. You'll notice they show the backspacing at 4.4". I've seen others show it of having the "proper" backspacing of 5" to add 35" tires coupled with a 2" Mopar lift for JLs.
Well that's quite a bit less than $2000 per set.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a backspacing of 5" on a 9" wide rim would mean the hub is 0.5" to the outside of center, causing the wheel to be slight more inside of the wheel well? would this also be a slightly positive offset?

wheeloffsetbackspacing.png

since41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a 17x9 should have about - 12mm to be about perfect with stock inside placement?

Like the fuel beast 17x9 - 12 wheels?
A 17x9 with a zero offset would have a backspacing of 4.900" and would stick out 1.100" farther than the Mopar Beadlocks. Again it depends how the manufacturer calculates the backspacing. If they give the offset it makes it an apples to apples comparison if you do the math to your liking. It seems like Mayhem offers quite a few choices with the 5.0" of backspacing and they claim their wheels are flow formed, which is a technique that uses discs to compress the barrels of their cast wheels. In return the wheel exhibits features similar to a forging as far as strength is concerned.

Last edited:

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TommyBoy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patiently waiting
Occupation
Accessory shop owner
Wow!!! I wasnt considering it but the mopar 2" kit looks plenty for the 37s.
I'm wondering about the lift. Are you telling us that you added the lift through the dealer or that its a stock rubicon and is lifted already from the factory. Wondering if the 37 would fit without the lift in the rear and only in the front so it would level out?
Sponsored