Think I’m taking myself out of the Gladiator game

Gladiator Launch

First Name
Vik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Recon
Hey I’m getting the launch edition “WHEN?....”?... The concierge couldn’t even give A GUESSTIMATE time frame. The contest for the 100K is supposed to be chosen by tomorrow but the video is supposed to have your Gladiator in it. HOW IS THAT GOING TO BE POSSIBLE??? I’m going to ASSUME it’s going to be the people/ sponsors which already got there’s. This is Very confusing. Very disappointing, Totally a management production Communication issue to the consumer. JEEP IVE OWNED 3Jeeps this would be my fourth. Our first was a limited edition Black Ops edition and never had a issue or delivery problem...
It’s a NICE VEHICLE BUT THE PROFESSIONAL ON THE OTHER END OF THIS TRUCK
DROPPED THE BALL.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Hey I’m getting the launch edition “WHEN?....”?... The concierge couldn’t even give A GUESSTIMATE time frame. The contest for the 100K is supposed to be chosen by tomorrow but the video is supposed to have your Gladiator in it. HOW IS THAT GOING TO BE POSSIBLE??? I’m going to ASSUME it’s going to be the people/ sponsors which already got there’s. This is Very confusing. Very disappointing, Totally a management production Communication issue to the consumer. JEEP IVE OWNED 3Jeeps this would be my fourth. Our first was a limited edition Black Ops edition and never had a issue or delivery problem...
It’s a NICE VEHICLE BUT THE PROFESSIONAL ON THE OTHER END OF THIS TRUCK
DROPPED THE BALL.
The video has nothing to do with you IN your Gladiator. You are supposed to explain how you will “Find Your Freedom” with your Gladiator. I read the contest rules very carefully and there was absolutely no mention at all about you in your Gladiator.

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I bought one last Saturday. I love it, but I was expecting a wrangler with a bed. I pulled a camper with it this weekend, and it did an “ok” job.

If you’re expecting a Ford F-150 than don’t get this. It’s an awesome truck, but not for everyone I suppose

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I love Jeeps and I'm on my 4th Wrangler, though I could actually use a pickup truck over a SUV. A pickup is just more useful to my lifestyle.

So the problem I'm running into is that dealers around here are doing five-figure discounts on 2019 Ram Rebel. I've seen fully loaded Rebels with leather, panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, air suspension, 33" Duratracs, spray in bedliner, Class IV hitch, Hemi V8, etc. for $45,000. The interior space, comfort, luxury added to the locker and aggressive tires added to the 1,800 lb. payload and 11,300 lb. towing.....for the same money as a low-end Gladiator.

As bad as I want to try and order a Gladiator, my brain keeps trying to over-ride my heart. It keeps saying "either keep the Wrangler, or buy more truck for the money." It's like those old cartoons with the little angel and devil whispering into each ear. Ugh........

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
dealers around here are doing five-figure discounts on 2019 Ram Rebel
maybe that's cuz the truck sucks? lol

I can certainly see how a cheaper option could sway you. Everybody has to justify the purchase to themselves, or "she who must be obeyed!", lol

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
It is a lotta truck and I can understand why it is so tempting....but so is crack man

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Personally I dont care if it can be lapped 4 times empty by a ram 1500 towing 10,000#. The ram is not a jeep and definitely not a Gladiator. Really to me there is no comparison and if there was I still wouldn't care. 100% Gladiator! Price wise its not cheep and maybe its more expensive than a competitive mid sized truck. Really im not in the market for a mid sized truck im in the market for a Gladiator.

If you dont feel the same there is no problem with that it just means your needs and my needs are not the same and maybe you are not in the market for a gladiator but rather a full sized (or mid sized) truck. For me the choice is simple, really there never was a choice.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I appreciate all that has been shared here about the Gladiator and comparisons to full size trucks - I love my 2015 Ram Laramie with Ram boxes and air suspension - great options - great truck.

The market for a Jeep truck would expand hugely if they build the J6 - truck people would get their truck and those who want to haul people and smaller stuff - get their "lifestyle vehicle" with the Gladiator - problem solved (for the most part)....

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Well, just put a deposit on a '19 JLUR. I like the bikini colour too much, and the fear of first year models were the final factors. The order might not go through, as apparently '19 MY ordering is closed for Wranglers, but they are trying anyways.

giphy.gif

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I was gung-ho on the Gladiator until I saw one in person. Now I'm uncertain and possibly considering it.

Seeing it in person, it looks like a jeep with the top missing/missing indoor storage area. Yes this should be obvious, but hit me more so once I saw it.

I have a 2019 JLUR already and like the indoor storage space.

I also have a 2019 RAM Big Horn Crew Cab.

For less money you get much more truck and function from the RAM.

A little less money you get more capability and some functionality from the JL.

Gladiator is sort of a novelty. If I get one, it will replace the JLUR. It wouldn't be a replacement for a RAM.
I'd keep in mind that there will almost certainly be some aftermarket hardtops that fully replace the existing one and extend over the entire bed. So a massive interior storage space is coming.

What I wonder is if it's possible to cut out the section between rear seats and bed, so you could have a good 8 ft flattish interior storage area if you fold down rear seats. Would be amazing for overlanding

Sponsored

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I bought one last Saturday. I love it, but I was expecting a wrangler with a bed. I pulled a camper with it this weekend, and it did an “ok” job.

If you’re expecting a Ford F-150 than don’t get this. It’s an awesome truck, but not for everyone I suppose
Did you get the sport s? I'm having a hard time justifying getting a Rubicon pickup truck unless I really want to overland.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd keep in mind that there will almost certainly be some aftermarket hardtops that fully replace the existing one and extend over the entire bed. So a massive interior storage space is coming.

What I wonder is if it's possible to cut out the section between rear seats and bed, so you could have a good 8 ft flattish interior storage area if you fold down rear seats. Would be amazing for overlanding
Same train of thought that my brother has. He already photoshopped a bunch of different tops on the Gladiator. It does look better with a cabin.

As for the second idea, I'm sure somebody will do it. People will start hacking them up and trying different configurations. All that space would be great.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Same train of thought that my brother has. He already photoshopped a bunch of different tops on the Gladiator. It does look better with a cabin.

As for the second idea, I'm sure somebody will do it. People will start hacking them up and trying different configurations. All that space would be great.
pretty sure the cabin and bed will have to be seperate pieces as the articulation will bend the roof as is not a unibody.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I’ve owned 4 wranglers. After the trade in offer I got for my JKUR and the “We’re only selling at MSRP” plus a $1000 add on for the the dealer installed Bed-liner I don’t think I’m interested in a JT anymore. It didn’t drive much better than my JK and I have a trailer if I need to haul stuff anyway. To me, this dealership and brand are damaged goods now. Bad taste in my mouth. Good luck recovering my legacy business...
I agree and disagree.
Sort of in the same boat with dealers not wanting to give me squat for my JK. Jeep flooded the market with the JL’s so I can’t blame the dealer for not offering high value on the JK’s when they’re having to offer $5k off of JL’s because their lots are flooded with jeeps they can’t sell at full price. So because of that I wait. Jeeps don’t seem to be holding the value they used to. Harley made the same mistake. Made way more than demand called for so resale value dropped dramatically. Can’t ask someone to pay $xx for a used vehicle when they can buy brand new for 5% more.
As far as disagree, it is a unique vehicle. Yes you can get a full or other midsized truck for a little less money but they are lacking in many ways. Towing or payload may be more but, do any of those compared vehicles have removable doors or roofs or ability to be a convertible vehicle? Do they have the same rugged off-road looks? (TRD Pro, maybe) The JT is an in between vehicle. It would be perfect for me, I think. I miss my Ram and the ease of just throwing bigger stuff in the bed without having to go get the trailer and drag it around for one thing but I love off-roading in the Jeep and the fun of participating in Jamborees (can’t do that in a Ram) the combination of a go anywhere Jeep and the convenience of a pickup is the perfect combination for many people including me.
Problem is my current Jeep isn’t worth what it could be and dealers are up charging right now because it’s new so I can’t buy what I want when I want it. So I wait. But that’s okay, I want Hydro blue any way. ;)

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Buying a hot ticket off the lot is insane. Do your homework on this forum. You’ll save thousands off MSRP when you order one how you want it. If you want to know how it drives just take a JLU out for a spin.
I traded my JLUR in on a Gladiator Rubicon. They don't ride the same - the Gladiator is smoother, JLUR handles better. The difference in ride is larger than I thought - I know because I didn't bother taking a test drive figuring it'd ride the same. The salesman offered, but I said nah, I know how it rides.

So while not a rude awakening, and not anything that would have put me off as they honestly both ride fine, I was surprised how different they were.

Also, the Gladiator feels less powerful in normal driving but it really feels like they remapped the throttle as it seems to shift a lot earlier for a given throttle input. If I floor it it feels the same as the JLUR, so keep that in mind, especially if you're comparing say an '18 JL to a JT as they appear to have changed something. At first I thought it was the weight, but if you give it a lot of gas it goes almost as well. This actually makes it easier to drive smoothly, so as long as it doesn't struggle towing (I'll find out next weekend), it's a welcome change.

And yeah, if your dealer is charging msrp or higher, go elsehwere. I got a loaded Rubi for a couple grand under msrp and didn't have to haggle at all, plus I got pretty good trade on my JLUR.
Sponsored