Considering Ram

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I have only had 2 cars my entire life (a 1993 yj and my current 2002 tj). I have been driving my current 2002 Wrangler Sahara since I bought it new. I'm on the fence between a Gladiator and a loaded Ram. This should be an easy decision as I'm a jeep guy, but the gladiator price and lack of capability is getting me. I don't understand why a Gladiator is the same price or more than a full-size fully loaded truck. A ram rebel is cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than a Gladiator. Considering just keeping my 17 year old TJ for my convertible needs and getting a Ram. I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip. Thoughts?
Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I have only had 2 cars my entire life (a 1993 yj and my current 2002 tj). I have been driving my current 2002 Wrangler Sahara since I bought it new. I'm on the fence between a Gladiator and a loaded Ram. This should be an easy decision as I'm a jeep guy, but the gladiator price and lack of capability is getting me. I don't understand why a Gladiator is the same price or more than a full-size fully loaded truck. A ram rebel is cheaper, more luxurious, and more capable than a Gladiator. Considering just keeping my 17 year old TJ for my convertible needs and getting a Ram. I need to tow a trailer weighing 5700 pounds a couple times per year about 500 miles round trip. Thoughts?
Sounds like you have already made your decision? :)

The Gladiator when compared that way will never give you "value" and it is subjective. It gives me "value" because it's a jeep and I can take the doors and top off etc and I generally like the aesthetics of the truck. I believe everyone agrees that judging just by looks, the difference is night and day between and Gladiator and other trucks. If you don't care for that since you have your TJ, then I would get one of the other trucks. And, if you don't do a lot of outdoor trails off-roading then it makes even more sense to just get a Ram/Tundra/Raptor/etc. My personal two favorites were a Taco TRD Pro or the Raptor if I hadn't fallen in love with Jeeps years ago :CWL:.

OP
OP

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I'm going to wait for Jeep with brake controller and test drive it before I decide. Still leaning towards Jeep if it can meet my needs. I'd like to only have one car. So far the jeep is first midsize truck I fit in comfortably. I'm 6'3". Obviously going for Sport S with max tow which isn't out yet.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
My opinion - this is no contest - get the Rebel - especially with a quad cab and the air suspension.

I have the air suspension on my 2015 Laramie and it is the nuts!!! Great ride - easy load - no sagging - just plain great! BTW - Ram boxes too!

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2009 1500 “Dodge Ram” and loved it. If you go that way get the Ram Box as 2015er recommended. They are awesome!

The only downside is size for us. The Ram is a full sized truck vs. the JT middleweight design. If I were looking for a truck, I’d be back in a Ram, no question. Best interior hands down.

The JT is a lifestyle vehicle for our family. We’ve a Grand Cherokee and love it but when we need a truck bed, we need a truck bed. Being narrower/smaller, and also having an awesome interior, the JT fits our needs perfectly.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have a RAM and a JLUR. I'm considering a Gladiator. I see it more as a comparison to the JLUR than the RAM. I'll keep the RAM and trade the Rubicon.

OP
OP

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I think I'm going to get the Gladiator. Going to wait until the end of the year. I have to tow a 5500 pound trailer once or twice per year about 240 miles and back to go camping, all on flat highway at sea level. Other than that, the truck bed is just for hockey equipment and camping gear.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I have a RAM and a JLUR. I'm considering a Gladiator. I see it more as a comparison to the JLUR than the RAM. I'll keep the RAM and trade the Rubicon.
This may be the MOST sensible statement ever made during the debate between 100% Jeep 100% Truck vs. various other conveyances. Plywood Rated Response!!! With Bacon. Thank you. And, I'm going to co-opt it as my permanent solution.

Hey everyone in the truck vs JT dilemma. Keep your big fucking truck and get your jeep truck too!

Wait a second... And your rock crawler!!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Without further explanation about the towing needs one can only speculate . . . but if it were me with this scenario - and being a penny pincher - I would just RENT a Uhaul PU for the towing and either continue to enjoy the '02 TJ, or trade IT in on a USED 2016 JK (the year they put the 3.6 w/upgrade into it !). I'd make it a Sport S (unless you absolutely can't do without the disconnecting swaybar of a Rubi in Florida ! The money saved on a used JK can go toward upgrades to the new JKU Sport S at your financial leisure ! Hmmm, ??? . You'll figure it out, as only you can, because it is YOU who will be living with YOUR Choices ! good Luck .
edit/ps; guess I should of waited 5 minutes when you filled in the blanks and told us you really already new what your were gonna do . . . duh ! I should just delete my post .

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
... enjoy the '02 TJ, or trade IT in on a USED 2016 JK (the year they put the 3.6 w/upgrade into it !).
2012 is the first year of the new motor not 2016 I have a 2013 and I have the new motor in mine.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Based on this I would get a New Rebel or full size of your choice and keep the TJ for top down weather. I really think you'll hate towing that trailer with the V6. If not at least wait for the Diesel Gladiator.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, one reason the Gladiator is as expensive as a Ram is that, believe it or not, EPA and federal safety regulations make it extremely expensive for an automaker to offer a solid axle, convertible, high COG 4x4 to the masses in 2019, which is one reason Jeep Wrangler has had no competition in the market (arguably ever, but certainly since the Bronco died in the 1990s). And if it costs the automaker a bundle of money to produce and sell a vehicle, then you can expect that expense to be passed along to the consumer.

But think about it... The Gladiator offers the same 1,600 lb. payload as your standard full size truck, about 2/3rds of the towing capacity, and has an option for locking diffs. So it'll pretty much work just as hard as a full size and go anywhere a full size will go. BUT, it simultaneously is the only truck in the world with a removeable top and doors. Jeep knows they have something you can't get anywhere else, and they're proud of it which is reflected in the MSRP.

Keep in mind though, after 3 years the Ram Rebel is projected to retain only 55% of it's value while the Gladiator is projected to maintain 75%. So if you look at overall costs for fuel, resale, etc. the Gladiator starts to look like the better deal.