Gladiator vs 2020 4Runner

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
We are looking to get into more luxury camping than I'm used to now that we have a kid around potty training age and an older dog. I'm pushing for the gladiator, but my wife thinks the 2020 4runner will be better for us. We specify the 2020 because they are finally putting safety features like blind spot monitoring etc in them. She likes the idea of them being reliable compared to jeeps and better on the road and having more space inside if ever we have another kid and trying to fit 2 with a dog in it might challenging in a gladiator. Also, we will be taking bikes and kayaks, and pulling a trailer. Something like a 3feathers Trail Head maybe. In terms of off roading, I've been off roading in the sawtooths and few other places in vehicles I should never have been off roading in, but never in vehicles actually meant for it and that would be really nice. Now I live on the east coast so I'm not sure what off roading means out here, but i think there's some cool places to explore, and i don't expect to do anything too crazy. I'd like to know what you think about this. For instance, I've heard jeeps are easier to install accessories like winches and lights than a 4runner. This is important because with a kid and both of us working full time I don't have much time for tinkering and if i want a winch or lights or . I don't have much time for any hobbies come to think of it. Damn that is depressing. I'm going to eat my sorrows away now. Shoot all i have is this salad. Alright, so let me know what you think.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Jeep does have all the safety features available but I think its accurate to say it would be tight inside with 2 cars seats and a dog, although I really don't know if the 4runner is any wider in the rear seat. Of course you would have more room for stuff in the bed vice behind the back seat of the 4 runner.

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
I own a 2019 4Runner currently. Based off my time in a JLU, the 4Runner has quite a bit more room. Adding lights to a 4Runner isnt a problem and would not be difficult. Winches require some modification, or aftermarket bumper. Unless you go with a Rubicon the 4Runner is going to have more traction control devices than the other trims on the Jeep. Either vehicle at any trim should be good though based off what you described. The Jeep though will be a much better choice if modifications are important, not because they're easier, because there will be so many more options with the Jeep. 4Runner reliability is solid, not sure on the Jeep since I havent owned one yet. Had a 2016 Tacoma though that was absolute trash, so dont base reliability expectations off brand name.

Another thing to consider are those options you mentioned. Adding the blind spot and adaptive cruise might make the Gladiator quite spendy, I feel safe in saying it'll out price a 4Runner with the safety sense. 4Runners are nice, but I will admit as an owner, they'll never be as cool or fun as a Jeep.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is good stuff. A big part of the appeal is just how much feel people seem to have with jeeps. I am car shopping and almost all of the top rated suvs are almost exactly the same with the same options and the same push towards complacency and comfort. That bores me to tears. There's a reason I have a motorcycle. Its fun. It makes every ride more interesting. It makes my commute bearable. However, most people don't get that. I get too many comments like, "its not safe" or "what if it rains a little" for me to think the average person is like me and well, like many of you. My wife however, does not feel like I do. She doesn't understand why i have a bike, even though she picked it out haha, and has told me on a couple occasions when looking at the gladiator "why would anyone want the doors and top off a vehicle?!" It makes me laugh.

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
this is good stuff. A big part of the appeal is just how much feel people seem to have with jeeps. I am car shopping and almost all of the top rated suvs are almost exactly the same with the same options and the same push towards complacency and comfort. That bores me to tears. There's a reason I have a motorcycle. Its fun. It makes every ride more interesting. It makes my commute bearable. However, most people don't get that. I get too many comments like, "its not safe" or "what if it rains a little" for me to think the average person is like me and well, like many of you. My wife however, does not feel like I do. She doesn't understand why i have a bike, even though she picked it out haha, and has told me on a couple occasions when looking at the gladiator "why would anyone want the doors and top off a vehicle?!" It makes me laugh.
If someone asks why you ride.....the answer doesnt matter...they wont understand. Similar with Jeeps!

Sponsored

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
A bed cap on a Gladiator will give far more cargo room than the 4Runner, so long as you're willing to put the dog back there and be comfortable that it's not in the vehicle's main cabin. Also think ahead 5-10 years when you want to take your kids out to ride dirt bikes... easy to toss into the JT's bed; you'd need a trailer or some very convoluted hauling rig on the hitch with the 4Runner.

I used helmet wind noise as a frame of reference for how loud the JT is. Seems plenty quiet to me, but then again one of my bikes is not the easiest thing to keep at... legal speeds. If the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is diminished for JT vs. 4R due to stuff like wind noise and aesthetics, then only you can make this choice based on the Happy Wife Happy Life adage. Good luck with that decision. :(

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Is your wife driving the Jeep or riding in it? I've driven a MT for years, the wife can but doesnt want to drive a manual. I ended up buying a vehicle one time that was auto with her concern in mind. I was bored to tears and the wife still never really drove it. Needless to say, I'm back in a manual.

WRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I have a 2018 4runner SR5 premium that is my wife's daily driver. Of course, the Gladiator wasn't available when we bought our 4R, but the Tacoma was available. We cross shopped the two and decided on the 4R. We don't have kids, but do have two medium (50lb) dogs that go everywhere with us. We also plan on doing some camping with a small trailer, paddle boards, mountain bikes etc.

My first question is why are you cross shopping the 4runner vs the gladiator? It would make more sense to cross shop the 4r and JLU or Tacoma and Gladiator.

So first, lets talk about why we went with the 4runner. Again, it makes sense to cross shop the 4r and the JLU. I would have gladly bought a JLU if I was buying a new vehicle for myself. Unfortunately, I wasn't, and my wife ruled them out after riding around with me in a JKUR. Her issue's were the cramped cabin, bumpy ride and road noise. Obviously the JL is a vast improvement over the JK, but its still a jeep. Also, the JLU's with similar options as the 4R were significantly more expensive - we're talking an easy $5k+. Our 4R has the synthetic leather seats, heated seats, 4wd, navigation, sunroof, tow package, 120v inverter plus lots of other cool stuff. It doesn't have the cool off road bits that the TRD off-road or Pro have, so its kind of a Sahara equivalent in Jeep talk

We have 15k miles on it now, and have no regrets at all. The power and mileage are very similar to the 3.6 - at least compared to a 2016 JKUR. The interior is much better for daily driving, its quiet, there are lots of cup holders and storage pockets, elbow room is great, arm rests are great etc. When we go on trips we have enough room for the dogs and our luggage. However, for any camping, we will need roof top storage at a minimum but probably a little trailer. Cargo room and towing would definitely have been better with the Tacoma but it wasn't as comfortable, wasn't available with synthetic leather and would have needed a truck cap to really meet our needs.

In summary, you can't go wrong with the 4runner for a daily driver/light off road rig.

Who is going to be the primary driver? If it is you, then I would get the gladiator.....because if you don't get it now.....you'll get it later
Like others have said, put a nice cap on the bed for the dog. If you put a sturdy hard kennel in the bed, you can use the bed for storage as well. Then put a bike rack on top of the cap.

Last thing - off road worthiness. The 4runner is plenty capable to explore anywhere you want to go. However, the body of the 4r is "soft". It has plastic bumpers, painted fender flairs and mediocre visibility. The gladiator has that classic jeep architecture that puts the tires far outside the body. This gives you a lot more leeway for getting around obstacles without damaging the body. The reality is that on most trails the 4r would be fine, but the extra confidence a wrangler gives its worth a lot

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! That was really helpful. Maybe im wrong but im getting the impression I should just test drive a gladiator without my wife? Jk

jonesy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I am new here, but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Have you considered a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk? I got my 2018 JGC Trailhawk brand new loaded with 5.7 Hemi for $10K off list (about $45K). I prefer it over the 4 Runner. While the 4R is finally adding some safety features, I believe the 2020 will still have the same mediocre outdated interior, a weak engine, bad fuel economy,very poor ride quality. Of course it excels at offroading (TRD models), reliability and resale. But I think the JGC beats it everywhere else. Better fuel economy (17/21 v. 19/26 with V6s), better transmission, better interior, more comfortable, way more convenience and safety features, and the Jeep is really fun and strong off road.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey thanks! I'll look into that.

GmanChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner Trail
I'm trading in my 2016 4Runner on a Gladiator. I really do like the 4Runner a lot. It does everything I ask of it with no issue, but the Gladiator gives me the warm fuzzies when I see one. The 4Runner doesn't.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
I'm trading in my 2016 4Runner on a Gladiator. I really do like the 4Runner a lot. It does everything I ask of it with no issue, but the Gladiator gives me the warm fuzzies when I see one. The 4Runner doesn't.
I have a 2017 4Runner TRD Off Road premium with the KDSS. I agree with you. I'm doing the same thing. I do like my 4Runner. I just don't love it. It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies like the Gladiator does.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 4Runner has been selling at a volume of about 10,000 per month.

The Wrangler has been selling 20,000 per month lately, and the Gladiator so far is red hot as well.

What does that have to do with anything? Well, there's a reason that Jeep is outselling Toyota 2:1, and that's because of what GmanChris said a few posts above me. The Jeep is a Jeep. It gives an owner a totally different feeling everytime you look at it, everytime you push the start button, everytime you drive it. The Toyota, well, it's just a vehicle. (A very outdated one at that.)

Most women (notice I said most, not all) don't understand that because all they care about is make-up and shoes. To them, a vehicle is simply a machine. It does a simple job, like a toaster or a lawn mower. It's just a basic item. As long as it goes from A to B, who cares?

To guys, driving is fun. Heck, my 30 minute drive one way to and from work is the highlight of my day. I sure as heck don't want to sit in a boring machine for an hour every day of my life. And how am I supposed to show up at the Labor Day weekend cookouts with the doors and top off a Toyota?

Life is short, and vehicles are expensive. Buy the one that makes you smile.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. I can definitely understand this. It's why I have a motorcycle. I think this would make my commute in weather that I don't want to bike in more fun. Im pretty sold on it and honestly with the below invoice pricing it's cheaper than the trd pro.
Sponsored