Overland Towing

Gshaw34

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I am getting a little gun shy. I am supposed to get the overland with 6k towing. My travel trailer is a 2012 kz spree escape is just under 3k dry. The camp ground we go to is down the NJ turnpike about 80 miles away. Really I will probably tow maybe 4-6 times total this year down and back.

I am now wondering if I should just get a rubicon which is 7k towing. I don't want to wait for the sport since I need to get some stuff done don't my f150 like tires brakes my sync system is shot etc.

The reason I am slightly worried is cause I had a ram 1500 that I got pre owned (traded in my jk 2011 unlimited). Anyway the ram v6 would go into limp mode while towing and slow down to 35 mph. Once I turned the car off it was fine .Then I would unhook and all was well again. So that's why I got the f150 lol.
Sponsored

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
I was initially considering only the Sport S and Rubi, for the towing capacity. I really only need to tow about 5k realistically though. I want all the cool stuff in the Rubi, but don't really need it, and would like more cool stuff than the sport. So now thinking about whether the 6k in the overland is good, and I get the nicer interior. Probably won't save much over the Rubi, so I might as well go for that. Just talking out loud here.

OP
OP

Gshaw34

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I was initially considering only the Sport S and Rubi, for the towing capacity. I really only need to tow about 5k realistically though. I want all the cool stuff in the Rubi, but don't really need it, and would like more cool stuff than the sport. So now thinking about whether the 6k in the overland is good, and I get the nicer interior. Probably won't save much over the Rubi, so I might as well go for that. Just talking out loud here.
Well I pulled the trigger and got it. I realized we towed when we got the trailer with my wife's 2011 Nissan Pathfinder which towed 6k. I really don't think I needed more than 6k just looked at my tongue and it is rated for 7k. Now just need to work on getting a Tonneau cover.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I am towing a military m116 trailer, empty weight at 800 lbs. I did a test drive yesterday at up to 70, did fast lane changes, hard stops, hill pulls, and street driving. I found no real issues, mileage went 14 mph. I use a lock and roll off road hitch.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
My problem with the overland is if you want a manual and how much the towing capacity drops. I feel violated just looking at the numbers.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I am getting a little gun shy. I am supposed to get the overland with 6k towing. My travel trailer is a 2012 kz spree escape is just under 3k dry. The camp ground we go to is down the NJ turnpike about 80 miles away. Really I will probably tow maybe 4-6 times total this year down and back.

I am now wondering if I should just get a rubicon which is 7k towing. I don't want to wait for the sport since I need to get some stuff done don't my f150 like tires brakes my sync system is shot etc.

The reason I am slightly worried is cause I had a ram 1500 that I got pre owned (traded in my jk 2011 unlimited). Anyway the ram v6 would go into limp mode while towing and slow down to 35 mph. Once I turned the car off it was fine .Then I would unhook and all was well again. So that's why I got the f150 lol.
You will have zero issue with 3000lbs.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
If you ever feel like it doesn’t tow as well you can just regear to 411 for $800 to $1300 it would do way better

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Overland I test drove today only had a 1,063 lb. payload capacity. How many people do you take camping? How much tongue weight does your camper apply to the hitch? 10% 15%?

In my personal use, my family (two college students, middle schooler, wife, myself) combined weighs about 775 lbs. On the Overland, that would leave 288 lbs. of payload remaining. If I then pulled a 3,000 lb. camper, the tongue weight would have to be less than 10% to stay legal. And that's not even including camping gear, fuel, water, etc.

So it's not always the towing capacity that kills a guy, it's payload capacity. Especially on the midsize trucks.
Sponsored