Sponsored

How well are they really selling overall?

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Just curious if anyone knows about how the JTs are actually selling "to the general populace," aside from situations with those of us who are really focused and interested.

The dealer near me got a decked-out red Rubicon in several weeks ago, with a $58K sticker and even with that sticker I expected it to sell fairly quickly, but it has not- and the dealer has it positioned in a very visible location in a high traffic area. I was just in a different region of my state and a dealer there had a decked-out silver Rubicon of about the same MSRP which had a dealer-created extra sticker in the window taking pains to explain that this specimen was unusually expensive because it was so heavily-optioned, that other JTs won't always be that expensive, and that because of expected high lease-end-value, leasing could actually end up being especially affordable. I don't recall ever seeing a message like that in a vehicle, especially not one in high demand.

Granted, I live in an area where average salaries are not high, and people are generally frugal, and $58K is about half of what I originally paid for my house 20 years ago (it was a fixer-upper, but still).

I am not trying to bash the Gladiator or FCA, just wondering if the pricing may be pushing up out of buyer comfort zones for anyone other than those of us who really are focused on wanting a vehicle with these characteristics. For me a sturdy body on frame 1/2 ton truck with solid axles and manual transmission is something I really want and that I never really expected would be still in production, let alone newly introduced- but is exactly what I want.
Sponsored

dgreen1069

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion, 2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat, 2014 Harley CVO Limited
I think Jeep has reached for the stars when pricing the JL's and JT's. JL's are selling well but it seems discounts are easily found. The JT's are going to have more trouble because there are several mid size truck competitors and most are $10k less. I thought for sure I wanted one, but I don't know if I'll be able to pull the trigger.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I thought for sure I wanted one, but the price point has me comparing it to the Ram, a full-size truck. I know I shouldn't be comparing them, but the price is almost identical. Couple that with the fact that the Gladiator doesn't offer a brake controller and can't really pull what us advertised has me thinking. I need to be able to tow a 5500 pound trailer in Florida on the turnpike where traffic starts and stops continuously. Just waiting it out in the meantime. If the gladiator could do what is advertised and was priced a little cheaper, it would be a no-brainer.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The JT is going to be like the JL, it is not going to be a jack of all trades in all areas. It shines as a off road vehicle that happens to have a bed. Like the JL, it is going to be a blank slate that will have an aftermarket like no other brand or model of mid size truck. Price of admission has always been relatively high and not everybody will have the financials to gain access.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
This has been one huge question all along. If these things are not flying of the lot with pent up demand, and people are waiting for orders, then the rollout might be headed to a gravel turn. Put it like this, they could be building JTs on 3 shifts a day, meaning LE would be here ahead of schedule, dealer lots would be emptied, over sticker pricing in the metros. Only the high price seems like it's working as planned. Everything else is on skids. Maybe international sales are booming? Maybe the "intentionally blah blah blah.

61zTGPwqfDL._SL250_.jpg

Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
I think right now dealers are testing the waters. I too have seen a Gladiator Rubi parked right in front of a dealer on a main highway for a couple weeks now. Dealers are going to try and sell as many at MSRP or above to the early adopters who dont want to wait and once all those people get theirs and the lots become more populated and inventory is not moving you'll start to see more discounts. Right now in my area all the dealers only have Rubis on the lot and obviously what jeep is pumping out the most of right now since thats where the biggest profit is. I am personally waiting til i see some sport models with a manual on lots before even venturing into a dealer. Most likely will wait until 2020 when some of the hype has died down. I think of this truck as when a new iPhone is released, all the iSheep would line up to get the newest one on release day at MSRP and then when the hype dies down and inventory is high you see them discounted.

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I think right now dealers are testing the waters. I too have seen a Gladiator Rubi parked right in front of a dealer on a main highway for a couple weeks now. Dealers are going to try and sell as many at MSRP or above to the early adopters who dont want to wait and once all those people get theirs and the lots become more populated and inventory is not moving you'll start to see more discounts. Right now in my area all the dealers only have Rubis on the lot and obviously what jeep is pumping out the most of right now since thats where the biggest profit is. I am personally waiting til i see some sport models with a manual on lots before even venturing into a dealer. Most likely will wait until 2020 when some of the hype has died down. I think of this truck as when a new iPhone is released, all the iSheep would line up to get the newest one on release day at MSRP and then when the hype dies down and inventory is high you see them discounted.
Funny you mention that, in LA the wranglers are lining up the wazoo but dealers are not budging on the pricing.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
Funny you mention that, in LA the wranglers are lining up the wazoo but dealers are not budging on the pricing.
Yeah give it time, when they're not selling the price will go down, if they are able to sell them at MSRP then they will continue to do so. Here in Boston I haven't seen one actually on the road yet.

ArchieandAri

First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Compass
So, I am super confused. In the beginning when prices came out people were bending over backwards to emphasize that the JT was only $1k over similarly optioned mid-size trucks. But now, it seems everyone is saying that full sized trucks can be had for the same price as a JT. Which is it?

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one, so score one for Jeep! If it isn't your thing, no worries, they'll sell....might mosey over to the Ram 1500 Forum if you need too......pics included to emphasize the "Why".....think "Options!!!"

Alien 15.jpg

Gladiator delivery day 2.jpg

Topless 2.jpg

Sponsored

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
This is a niche release product meaning the dealers received the Rubicons loaded up right off the bat. It is a sticker shock price for most people. I think the Gladiator will be an awesome sales product as the consumers see more on the road. And the next batch’s of Gladiator are going to be the more subtle priced units which will probably create more sales. The Jeep brand is not a copy cat brand meaning go find another manufacturer making something similar??? And yeah uh no ain’t gonna find one so Jeep knows what their doing and thank goodness Jeep keeps bringing excitement to the brand.

Last edited:

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
So, I am super confused. In the beginning when prices came out people were bending over backwards to emphasize that the JT was only $1k over similarly optioned mid-size trucks. But now, it seems everyone is saying that full sized trucks can be had for the same price as a JT. Which is it?
Perhaps different people are saying different things?

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
I bought one, so score one for Jeep! If it isn't your thing, no worries, they'll sell....might mosey over to the Ram 1500 Forum if you need too......pics included to emphasize the "Why".....think "Options!!!"

Alien 15.jpg

Gladiator delivery day 2.jpg

Topless 2.jpg
I can fix the crooked pics in Photoshop.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I'm not sure how the ones on the lot are selling around here but the dealership said there were 56 LE orders.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My dealer sold 5 of their allocation and then took 6 special orders last week.

As of last week I read that Jeep has taken 15000 orders for gladiators and if that's true that means the Gladiator sold more in its 1st month than the Ranger has sold since January.

I like a lot of people questioned why you would spend that much money on a midsize truck when you can get a full size truck for the same price but after looking at trucks and running the numbers I realized that the Gladiator is a better value because it will hold a lot more of its value in the future which makes it a better deal.
Sponsored