Sponsored

Any Thoughts On The Rivian R1T Truck

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
https://products.rivian.com/

I'm sure this truck isn't something everyone here would consider but what are people thoughts. Can get 400 miles of range, tow 11k pounds, 3 seconds something 0-60, innovative storage, charge 200 miles of range in 30 min. Etc .

I use to have a JK unlimited, then a couple Land Rovers, then a Chevy volt. I love cars and the Volt isn't my favorite but I absolutely love how little maintenance electric vehicles take, sure there is software and electrical to worry about but never having to get gas, spark plugs, oil changes etc is pretty nice. I had the original brake pads inspected on my 83k mile volt and they were like new. With the volt having the onboard generator 95 % of my driving is electric but it has the ability to do road trips. I use about 8 gallons of gas in 5 months. Last year I burned 12 gallons total and drove 10k miles. For me ive seen huge savings in expenses after owning a JK, Lr3 and range Rover.

If I could swing the Rivian I would probably go that route but it's too costly for me.

I know for many the unknown is charging infrastructure and speed. On the Rivian charging 200 miles in 30 minutes is pretty reasonable. I could do my 550 Mile road trip to see my family with just a stop or two and not much charging downtime. Porsche and BMW have built a 450kwh prototype charger that charges as fast as a gas fill up. Interesting stuff nonetheless.
Sponsored

Last edited:

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
I think it depends on your use cases for the truck. For the around town and easy gravel road driving depicted in the video, I think this is an awesome truck, pricing aside. For people who really want to "get out there" into backcountry, I would be concerned about durability and the ability to diagnose and repair the vehicle out on the trail. In many ways the thing could be more robust than petrol-powered vehicles, due to the lack of moving and lubricated parts... But good luck if you end up stuck and there are 15 special tools required to make a repair.

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I didn't think much of it when I first saw, but reading more into it, it is starting to grow on me. If in a few years they can get the range up to around 500 miles and add features like this, their modular bed system,
Rivian-Modules-7-Rivianforums.jpg

I may heavily consider getting one.

Sponsored

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm a country boy, and for the most part have always had full size trucks with V8s as my daily driver. I would have never thought I'd be interested in an electric vehicle. No truck options, and living in Texas, nothing manufactured was practical. I can see a lot of potential with this truck, even with its price tag. However, I wish these electric manufacturers would realize not everyone cares or even wants these pretty luxurious interiors. They aren't going to look nearly as sharp when they get dirt, mud, oil, grease, and some form of livestock excrement on them. I would even bet money that if Ford does end up producing their F150EV that it will come with a high trim level.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
That's one REAL ugly truck from the front!

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
An update on Rivian is Ford is investing $500 million into this company. Rivian will remain autonomous. Ford will help the money and "industrial expertise and resources." Ford will get access to Rivian's skateboard platform. This company has had around $1.2 billion invested into it so they better come out with something. Link to the press release. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...04/24/rivian-500-million-investment-ford.html

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve an electric Fiat 500e. They are great for around town. No maintenance, no hassles. The future is coming but still not ready for prime time as a primary mode of transportation. Too many variables when compared to today’s horseless carriages.

Rivian still needs to establish a dealer network. If they plan to launch in 2021 they’ve got a lot of work yet to do. If they launch the vehicle without a network good luck finding parts or warranty work when things break.

Tesla is established but insurance rates are much higher than normal. Just watch this to see how much it costs to repair a Tesla and the hassle involved —>

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Plug in vehicles are coming. And prices will come down as it becomes more commonplace. I remember Jeep talking about bringing one as well. With motors and electronics becoming more compact I could see a 2 dr wrangler with a small electric motor at each wheel being feasible. 4 wheel independent suspension with good articulation, no axels, trani or transfer case to drag yet 4 motors to still have 4x4 capability. System could run on one motor at highway speeds but have button inside to engage all 4 at same turning speed for a locked axel type performance. I would just hope they would make it a hybrid system like the Volt so you still have a small motor to recharge the battery system if needed between charges (i.e. out in the woods)

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Plug in vehicles are coming. And prices will come down as it becomes more commonplace. I remember Jeep talking about bringing one as well. With motors and electronics becoming more compact I could see a 2 dr wrangler with a small electric motor at each wheel being feasible. 4 wheel independent suspension with good articulation, no axels, trani or transfer case to drag yet 4 motors to still have 4x4 capability. System could run on one motor at highway speeds but have button inside to engage all 4 at same turning speed for a locked axel type performance. I would just hope they would make it a hybrid system like the Volt so you still have a small motor to recharge the battery system if needed between charges (i.e. out in the woods)
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26882354/2020-jeep-wrangler-hybrid-future-spied/

• A plug-in hybrid version of the Jeep Wrangler was spied during routine testing near Fiat-Chrysler HQ in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Giant batteries and wiring encased in plastic positioned undercarriage is what I'm watching. Planes and submarines are solved, but apparently Mercedes Benz got away from electrics underneath. Bears watching!
That’s why I didn’t consider the 2.0L in my JLR. The battery cooling system underneath has too many hoses that could get caught on things that go “bump” at the worst time in the worst possible area when off road. :whew: