Sponsored

"Rubicon"ing your Sport

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Most body mounts bolt to the body mount bolts on the bottom or on the side - not very strong defense which is what I was going after vice height

these, do not interefere with ground clearance http://shop.poisonspyder.com/JK-4-Dr-Ricochet-Rockers-Frame-Mounted-p/18-08-040.htm
NICE! I like those. I like the grippy step. Nice for snowy Wisconsin Winters. I read the install instructions, looks pretty straight forward.

Have you hit yours on rocks? Held up well?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Why do people not want to get the Mopar 2" lift and instead another aftermarket 2" lift? Is it just that they prefer the aftermarket springs/shocks over the ones mopar picked out?

I would like to just have it done, ready to go, factory warranty. boom.
There can be a myriad of reasons. Some folks want more than a 2" lift. If you're gonna crawl a Gladiator, then a bigger lift make sense due to the increased breakover angle. Also, while the Mopar kit appears to be pretty good, there are better ones on the market.

If you do get the kit on the Gladiator, make sure the dealer gives you the take off parts. Those Fox shocks are gonna be worth the $$$$$.

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
isn't that thing only 300 watts? That's SO weak. I'm thinking some kind of DC/AC converter with large gauge wire run to battery, but use the factory 120volt plug in the bed for a nice factory look.
I'd not run a power outlet directly through an tiny aux switch in the cabin lol.

Use a relay to shut the power on/off.

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I posted this in another thread, but this might be relevant to you folks here on this thread too. Here is a shot of a Sport bed without trail rail, and without the outlet, and without the bedliner:

Drives me a little bit nuts when the video reviewers talk about what wheels and tires each trim level gives you lol. Thats like the first and easiest thing people get rid of on Jeeps and is not really the way to distinguish between models. For my JK, I just waited on Craigslist for a couple weeks until found a set of Willy's tires n wheels for $180! Also got some Rubi shocks for free

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'd not run a power outlet directly through an tiny aux switch in the cabin lol.

Use a relay to shut the power on/off.
i didn't mean run it right off the switch, i meant switch controls a relay to turn on the 1000watt inverter that's now plugged into the bed outlet so you can have more juice back there for cutting plywood and such.

Sponsored

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
The thing on the Rubicon sliders is that they bolt through the pinch seam holes, and usually three body bolts on the underside. The one Steffan is showing uses rivnuts. You have to drill into the body and install the rivnuts to use that. However that specific model is a combination of body armor and a rail (though the rock rail looks a bit high on the body to me). It's not a bad option.

Good frame mounted rails will simply provide more protection to the body around that pinch seam.

This isn't to say that the Rubicon, or other body mounted, rails are bad. They aren't. It's just that you get better protection with frame mounted rails.
What do you think of bolt onto frame vs weld onto frame?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
NICE! I like those. I like the grippy step. Nice for snowy Wisconsin Winters. I read the install instructions, looks pretty straight forward.

Have you hit yours on rocks? Held up well?
No rocks, buried in mud though. Felt super secure having them bolted to the frame. I got them uncoated and opted for Krylon black. Wish I would have had them powdercoated.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
What do you think of bolt onto frame vs weld onto frame?
I'm not aware of a 'weld to frame' product out there. The one's I've seen are all bolt on. That said, depending on the exact slider used, bolt on seems quite sufficient for anyone's needs. I've never seen one break, but there are people around here with a lot more experience than I.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I'm mixed on the deck also. I'm against spaceship coloration. Just give me a button or knob thats dust and water proof. Liking satellite radio too. Ever since I turned in my 6 CD changer full I'm kinda bent about it. Still missing my 1st side of Stones 40 licks!
Oh my gosh, you sold it WITH your CD's inside ? You must of really had a bad case of heartburn the next morning !?
I had similar misgivings when I took my 331/3 record collection - all the (Now) "Classic" R&R LP's from the '70's, yea, the Stones, but also CSN (+ &Y), Beatles, S&G., Hendrix, Doors, Chicago, Traffic, America, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Queen, . . . and I know I'm leaving out 2 important groups (and others) but I'm having a "Brain Fart" and just can't come up with the names ? ? ? Point is I'd NEVER give up my CD collection -- took me too ling to replace many of those bands, not to mention the JAZZ & Classical stuff.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Oh my gosh, you sold it WITH your CD's inside ? You must of really had a bad case of heartburn the next morning !?
I had similar misgivings when I took my 331/3 record collection - all the (Now) "Classic" R&R LP's from the '70's, yea, the Stones, but also CSN (+ &Y), Beatles, S&G., Hendrix, Doors, Chicago, Traffic, America, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Queen, . . . and I know I'm leaving out 2 important groups (and others) but I'm having a "Brain Fart" and just can't come up with the names ? ? ? Point is I'd NEVER give up my CD collection -- took me too ling to replace many of those bands, not to mention the JAZZ & Classical stuff.
Still bugs me and that was houses and states and cars ago! Well, I could just go buy the CDs. But that would be too simple..

215912.jpg

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
There can be a myriad of reasons. Some folks want more than a 2" lift. If you're gonna crawl a Gladiator, then a bigger lift make sense due to the increased breakover angle. Also, while the Mopar kit appears to be pretty good, there are better ones on the market.

If you do get the kit on the Gladiator, make sure the dealer gives you the take off parts. Those Fox shocks are gonna be worth the $$$$$.
After test driving a Gladiator Rubicon this past week, compared to my Metalcloak equipped Wrangler JKU... the Metalcloak setup still feels so much nicer and more responsive to me.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
After test driving a Gladiator Rubicon this past week, compared to my Metalcloak equipped Wrangler JKU... the Metalcloak setup still feels so much nicer and more responsive to me.
MC lifts are the best. Have yet to drive another JK that feels better (RK, Mopar, Evo).

You're doing the same thing as me. Getting a lightly optioned Sport S and then building it as you see fit.

Excited to see what you end up deciding! It is very difficult for me personally to shy away from MC since that is everything on my JK. No problems so why change it up for the JT?

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
MC lifts are the best. Have yet to drive another JK that feels better (RK, Mopar, Evo).

You're doing the same thing as me. Getting a lightly optioned Sport S and then building it as you see fit.

Excited to see what you end up deciding! It is very difficult for me personally to shy away from MC since that is everything on my JK. No problems so why change it up for the JT?
I'm not terribly interested in going too high... but asked on their FB page about a minimal lift. They've got their Gladiator torn apart so hopefully, it won't take long for them to start shipping. I'd love a 2" or less lift with their dual rate springs. Good thing Jeep doesn't even make my preferred color Gladiator as it gives me more reason to wait and see what comes out from MC.

RRGA

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I don't need the Rubicon features in my truck, so I won't pay that premium. That being said, there are some interior features that I will likely want to implement since they will make the hauling of family a bit less stressful. Specifically;

• Charging ports for the back seat - there are JKU mods for this
  • Armrest for the back seat - not sure about this one yet
  • Make the back seat more "recliny"? - there are JKU mods for this
  • Headliner for temperature and noise reduction
  • Bed plug (outlet) (vs factory)
  • LED Headlights
  • LED Fog Lights
  • LED Taillights
  • LED Interior lights
  • 8.4" UConnect Upgrade
  • Molle Seatbacks
It seems like you can get everything else fairly easily, and the above aren't all Rubicon exclusives. I'd like to start to build a page for making your non-premium version of the Gladiator into something with creature comforts. Gonna go mine links from the JL boards now.
charging ports for backseat cheap...if you don't mind a wire...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R8PXMC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored