Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I currently drive a 14' JKU with 33" Duratracs on the Moab wheels.

As I understand, all of the JK era wheels have 6.5" backspacing... so they stay nice and tucked under the fenders. It sounds like maybe the new wheels, at least the Rubicon wheels, have a more manageable backspacing. I haven't seen anything stating the actual backspacing for the JL but figure the JT will have something similar.

Did Jeep switch to something more like 4.5" backspacing... or is it still the same and its just the "wide axles" that let the Rubicon take the 33" tires?

(Trying to figure if I need new wheels to accommodate 35" on wide axles when the day arrives.)
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
It's going to be interesting what wheel options come with the JT. With the Max Tow, do we have a choice? I'm low key on wheels and tires, b/w out, nothing shiny. I like stock, so am wondering also. Seems like the wide track is going to look great, love the added fenders.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
JK and JL wheels are 44.45mm offset. So, for a 7.5" wheel that comes out to 6.10" of backspacing. This is the case for all wheels on all models (with the exception of the JK steel wheels on base sport models which were 7.0" wide I think).

The JT will likely be the same. Although some info did show that the JT wheels have a higher load rating, so it's possible they could alter the backspacing as well. Time will tell.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
Currently have fairly new 35' Cooper STT Discovery tires on my JK. Running 16inch rims on the tires.

I am wondering if this setup will run on the JT. Any idea if new bigger disc brakes are on the new rig?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Currently have fairly new 35' Cooper STT Discovery tires on my JK. Running 16inch rims on the tires.

I am wondering if this setup will run on the JT. Any idea if new bigger disc brakes are on the new rig?
From what people have said, the 16" wheels won't fit a JL. And, it seems that the JT will have even larger rear disks than the JL which means 16" wheels will definitely not work.

I haven't tried it myself though. I wish somebody would.

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
JK and JL wheels are 44.45mm offset. So, for a 7.5" wheel that comes out to 6.10" of backspacing. This is the case for all wheels on all models (with the exception of the JK steel wheels on base sport models which were 7.0" wide I think).

The JT will likely be the same. Although some info did show that the JT wheels have a higher load rating, so it's possible they could alter the backspacing as well. Time will tell.
Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I presumed the JL wheels were different, glad to have it confirmed they're not. I mean... I'd love for them to have less, but at least now I can compare apples properly.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

Based on the new "Max Tow" option on the configurator, you get the larger HD brakes with the Max Tow kit... suggesting that by default is likely their standard disk size. For Rubicon... still can't tell, they don't say larger HD brakes anywhere else.

RegalZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 Raptor, 2015 JKUR, 2018 JLUR, 2018 JLR, 2019 JLUR
Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I presumed the JL wheels were different, glad to have it confirmed they're not. I mean... I'd love for them to have less, but at least now I can compare apples properly.
Per AEV they are not the same:

JK Borah: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-borah/#color
Size: 17" x 8.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x5
Offset: +4mm
Approximate Backspacing: 4.9"

JL Borah: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-borah/#color
Offset: +25mm
Approximate Backspacing: 5.72"

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Per AEV they are not the same:

JK Borah: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-borah/#color
Offset: +4mm
Approximate Backspacing: 4.9"

JL Borah: https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-borah/#color
Offset: +25mm
Approximate Backspacing: 5.72"

You're showing aftermarket wheels. We're discussing factory wheels. See post #3.

Side note: The dimensions of factory wheels are stamped onto the back face of the wheel, so there is no question about what the specs are on those. Aftermarket may be different.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Any one have a source for getting some additional Rubicon wheels.
I am building an Overland trailer that currently has aftermarket wheels with 35” tires and i’d like to have the same wheels and tires as the truck..

Sponsored

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Any one have a source for getting some additional Rubicon wheels.
I am building an Overland trailer that currently has aftermarket wheels with 35” tires and i’d like to have the same wheels and tires as the truck..
Quadratec usually sells them once they become available. I'd check Craigslist too though. You'll probably get a great deal on some takeoffs. Complete tire and wheel sets go for $500 around here sometimes due to the prevalence of Jeeps.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

Any idea what the max backspace is that would not cause issues? Obviously 6.10 is okay - and granted depends on the SW of the tire.....

LimoEZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
What is the bolt circle for the JT? Is it the measurement of the diameter of the circle drawn through the centers of the lug nuts.
I measured my Overland and it looks more like 4.5" instead of 5". Appreciate any input.

LimoEZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I re- measured the BC with a 5" diameter object and it seems that it is a 5" diameter bolt circle.
Wheels and tires on the way

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel