Overland Wheel/Tire upgrade combo suggestions

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
Very close to pulling the trigger on an Overland. But, was hoping to find out what size wheel and tire I could upgrade to. The stock setup is the following.
WHEELS: 18-inch x 7.5-inch
TIRES: 255/70R18 All-Season

For wheels could I put on Rubicon stock take offs or will they be too heavy? How about tire sizes with the Overland stock suspension? Even if I stick with stock wheels, I want to at least move to a larger more aggressive AT tire (BFG/NITTO/GOODYEAR)....

JT_Overland_WheelTireCombo.jpeg
Sponsored

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
There are several very good size comparison websites. I like the one on Discount Tire website. I will be going with a 275/65R18 AT. Gives me a wider stance, aggressive tread and most importantly for me, the same height. So I don't have to worry about a change in speedo or calibration issues. Just need to get the best deal on a brand.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Very close to pulling the trigger on an Overland. But, was hoping to find out what size wheel and tire I could upgrade to. The stock setup is the following.

For wheels could I put on Rubicon stock take offs or will they be too heavy? How about tire sizes with the Overland stock suspension? Even if I stick with stock wheels, I want to at least move to a larger more aggressive AT tire (BFG/NITTO/GOODYEAR)....

You can definitely do Rubicon take offs and quite frankly that might be your cheapest option. A good majority of those who buy Rubicons immediately take off their stock wheels and tires and post them in the classified section of Jeep forums as well on craigslist.

OP
OP
BlckJT

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
There are several very good size comparison websites. I like the one on Discount Tire website. I will be going with a 275/65R18 AT. Gives me a wider stance, aggressive tread and most importantly for me, the same height. So I don't have to worry about a change in speedo or calibration issues. Just need to get the best deal on a brand.
This is a great config 275/65R18 AT. Most likely my direction. Maybe with the BFG KO's

I did see someone on this forum already put a set up for sale coming off their JT Rubi. But, my concern would be clearance. Isn't the Rubi suspension modified for the 33's? Concerning would be tire to fender grinding even on the smallest off-road obstacles lol.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think the Rubicon has a 2" additional height clearance. The stock Rubicon comes with a 285/70R17 which is 1.18" wider and .64" taller than the stock 18" Overland tire/wheel. So if your are getting both tire and wheels off a Rubicon you should have plenty clearance on the Overland. The actual height and width difference is only half the total because the tire/wheel is center mounted. Remember to allow for the differences in speedo.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Local dealer added some Nitto ATs. They rode great. We’re not lout at 75mph at all.

C2C7AAEF-9BDC-4B18-A843-48780CE90C28.jpeg

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those Nitto ATs are the perfect look and quality.

LimoEZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I am thinking of upgrading to a more aggressive tire also. Need to find a candidate. I also am looking at wheels as an option. I think the Dick Cepek DC2 would look good on a white Overland. It is available in many sizes and my question is what wheel size tire combination would 1. fit the Gladiator 2.Is economical and 3. Is 33" if that means no or little lift needed. 4. Acceptable noise level ie similar to the tires on the Cherokee Trailhawk. Thanks for any input.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am thinking of upgrading to a more aggressive tire also. Need to find a candidate. I also am looking at wheels as an option. I think the Dick Cepek DC2 would look good on a white Overland. It is available in many sizes and my question is what wheel size tire combination would 1. fit the Gladiator 2.Is economical and 3. Is 33" if that means no or little lift needed. 4. Acceptable noise level ie similar to the tires on the Cherokee Trailhawk. Thanks for any input.
Do a search on the Wrangler forum under Tires and Wheels. Tons of good information. More than you want...

Sponsored

JT_Ollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBB BMW M2, SG Jeep Gladiator
Would 285/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grappler work on a stock overland? Tire spec fits 7.5 to 10 in rim. Height is 35.08

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The width is at the edge of what the stock rim is designed for but should work. Height may be a problem. We know that 35s work on a Rubicon but it has 2 inches more clearance on stock form. I suggest looking on the Wrangler site or Google that size on a JL Sahara. If it works on a Sahara it should work on a Overland. I do love that Nitto.

Glad2seaya

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Did you end up buying new tires yet? whats your thoughts?
Sponsored