Sponsored

How well are they really selling overall?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Well said. We've talked about this ad nauseum. I respect people's opinion that "it's too expensive" - and that you could go get some other vehicle for the same amount. That's true. But unfortunately it doesn't really add value to this conversation as a whole. I could buy apples for the same price as oranges. But if I want apples, why are we talking about oranges?
Because banana. Jeez bro.
Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
You have a manual shifter mechanism for your avatar... My $51,1xx Rubicon build has a manual transmission. Which full size truck would you have to get more for your money and include a manual trans?
That's the shifter in my Challenger. I wouldn't get a manual in a RAM. The 2012 RAM I owned had an automatic. I prefer an automatic in a truck. I prefer an Manual in a muscle car. Please don't try to pick a fight, it's very uncool.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious if anyone knows about how the JTs are actually selling "to the general populace," aside from situations with those of us who are really focused and interested.

The dealer near me got a decked-out red Rubicon in several weeks ago, with a $58K sticker and even with that sticker I expected it to sell fairly quickly, but it has not- and the dealer has it positioned in a very visible location in a high traffic area. I was just in a different region of my state and a dealer there had a decked-out silver Rubicon of about the same MSRP which had a dealer-created extra sticker in the window taking pains to explain that this specimen was unusually expensive because it was so heavily-optioned, that other JTs won't always be that expensive, and that because of expected high lease-end-value, leasing could actually end up being especially affordable. I don't recall ever seeing a message like that in a vehicle, especially not one in high demand.

Granted, I live in an area where average salaries are not high, and people are generally frugal, and $58K is about half of what I originally paid for my house 20 years ago (it was a fixer-upper, but still).

I am not trying to bash the Gladiator or FCA, just wondering if the pricing may be pushing up out of buyer comfort zones for anyone other than those of us who really are focused on wanting a vehicle with these characteristics. For me a sturdy body on frame 1/2 ton truck with solid axles and manual transmission is something I really want and that I never really expected would be still in production, let alone newly introduced- but is exactly what I want.
When I ordered mine from the dealer on 5/24, I was only the second Gladiator order from them. They didn't have any in stock on the lot either. Also, my salesman searched out to a 1000 mile radius and there were no 6-speeds (if I can help it, I will not be driving a slush box). I checked Ebay and all 30 of them were automatics, too. Any manuals out there will definitely be in an exclusive club.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's interesting because the very 1st shipment of gladiators sold out immediately when they unloaded them from the truck. But since then the gladiators that have been delivered have actually sat on the lots around here for a while. Maybe there was a certain group of people who were waiting and now that those people have them this truck is gonna be just like any other truck.

I think we may go from $5k dealer markup to $5k rebates in a hurry on this truck as summer progresses. Very interesting.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wish someone would define "more truck" as I don't know what everyone is talking about?

More towing capacity?
Faster 0-60 times?
More enjoyment taking the top off and doors?

I don't think the ram 1500/nameahalfton win any of those categories. The gladiator however does hold 1 of those titles.
More truck?

Any full size has more payload, more towing, more interior space, more comfort, more horsepower, more torque, more fuel capacity, and in some trims more fuel economy. There are even some with factory 35s and factory winches with twin lockers. The full size market definitely offers more truck for the money.

But as I noted earlier, where the Gladiator wins is that 3 years down the road it'll still hold some value for resale.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
More truck?

Any full size has more payload, more towing, more interior space, more comfort, more horsepower, more torque, more fuel capacity, and in some trims more fuel economy. There are even some with factory 35s and factory winches with twin lockers. The full size market definitely offers more truck for the money.

But as I noted earlier, where the Gladiator wins is that 3 years down the road it'll still hold some value for resale.
I think I was drunk when I posted that.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I live in north Georgia and they seem to be moving well. CarGurus shows 72 within 50 miles and roughly half have actual photos. I assume most of the remainder are incoming.

And the dealers I check out like Jasper Jeep, Roswell Jeep, Marietta Jeep - they have little to no inventory.

Once all the orders are fulfilled and inventory is actually available, that is when I'll be most curious about the numbers and will tell the story.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes to above and the price keeps out a huge market segment. Put sport at 28,500 and demand goes to infinity. Also very interested as this unfolds..

161st Ord Depot Co Bros.jpg

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
They're moving quickly through the dealer in Lexington, KY. They typically have three on hand, but change frequently. Have had all three trims.

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
This truck is amazing, and it’s everything I had hoped for and more. For those of you complaining about the size of the bed, or the towing I suggest you just buy another truck. The JT is meant to be an off roading adventure that happens to have a bed in the back.

I am going to buy one once the hype dies and I can get a deal. Jeep will be making tons of these trucks and for those that wait will get a deal.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
More truck?

How much are those full size trucks with twin lockers and 35's?

Ever look at the base cost of a 1500 ram v6 tradesman 4x4 with crew cab? It's 2-3k more than the base Gladiator and can't tow or haul any more. If you're going to compare a full sized truck, compare one that's comparably optioned. Which if you look at a Rubicon, there are a grand total of 2 you can compare - the power wagon and the raptor. Neither are cheap, nor are they drastically more capable in the towing/hauling department. The Raptor, in particular, is barely more capable (can tow 8k and haul 1200 vs. 7000 and 1150) and costs what, $8k more to start? That's not much more truck for a whole lot more money.

So for the same price, you can't get a full sized truck with the same options, they're a few k more. I also priced out a power wagon. It was even more money and, because it's so big and heavy, can't tow or haul that much more (10k and 1600lbs). It also sucks fuel like it was built by opec and is $2k more than the raptor and $10k more than a gladiator rubicon. Again, not much more truck (unless you just count size) for a whole lot more money.

So where are these full sized trucks you can get that are more capable for the same money? Or are you comparing a stripped out tradesman to a loaded Rubicon?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
How much are those full size trucks with twin lockers and 35's?

Ever look at the base cost of a 1500 ram v6 tradesman 4x4 with crew cab? It's 2-3k more than the base Gladiator and can't tow or haul any more. If you're going to compare a full sized truck, compare one that's comparably optioned. Which if you look at a Rubicon, there are a grand total of 2 you can compare - the power wagon and the raptor. Neither are cheap, nor are they drastically more capable in the towing/hauling department. The Raptor, in particular, is barely more capable (can tow 8k and haul 1200 vs. 7000 and 1150) and costs what, $8k more to start? That's not much more truck for a whole lot more money.

So for the same price, you can't get a full sized truck with the same options, they're a few k more. I also priced out a power wagon. It was even more money and, because it's so big and heavy, can't tow or haul that much more (10k and 1600lbs). It also sucks fuel like it was built by opec and is $2k more than the raptor and $10k more than a gladiator rubicon. Again, not much more truck (unless you just count size) for a whole lot more money.

So where are these full sized trucks you can get that are more capable for the same money? Or are you comparing a stripped out tradesman to a loaded Rubicon?
Here are a few options. IMO the JT is overpriced when shopping payload and towing as it is just too underpowered to be anything more than a light toy hauler. Perhaps most disappointing is the fact only the Rubicon has lockers. The Tacoma OR even in 2wd gets a rear locker.

E602D2A2-1F70-4596-843E-30486E27247F.png

223F11A8-FB44-4EFD-89FE-989CE800D6FD.png

34F6EF20-F94E-4030-A58B-6F97611E1A04.png

E775D58C-3685-4BEA-B1E2-DD68192AD4ED.png

1EBFB402-528B-48AD-8A36-AF0C9FCAAB4D.png

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here are a few options. IMO the JT is overpriced when shopping payload and towing as it is just too underpowered to be anything more than a light toy hauler. Perhaps most disappointing is the fact only the Rubicon has lockers. The Tacoma OR even in 2wd gets a rear locker.

E602D2A2-1F70-4596-843E-30486E27247F.png

223F11A8-FB44-4EFD-89FE-989CE800D6FD.png

34F6EF20-F94E-4030-A58B-6F97611E1A04.png

E775D58C-3685-4BEA-B1E2-DD68192AD4ED.png

1EBFB402-528B-48AD-8A36-AF0C9FCAAB4D.png
Dude charge battery! lol.

Ok. Tear up my bullshit... We haven't had a good feud in awhile. Do they sell X amount by Y date, and why or why not?

My take: So we know it's a competitive market, trucks are differentiated by a few specs and looks appeal. What this thread is about is JT sales. They predicted 75,000 by August. That's imo. Happy to be wrong. But in first model year, 2019, starting in April or whenever ordering opens, to new model year, maybe Aug - Sept ... Do 75,000 Jeep trucks get delivered? I say they claim yes but have to include orders to barely make it to 70,000
Sponsored