TFL SUPERIKE Rubicon 7000lb Tow Challenge

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It broke a sweat but it did fine. It made it to the top without overheating at maximum rating.
so you're telling me hauling 4,000 lbs in the almost as flat as Illinois, Wisconsin, I should be sitting pretty? lol
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I was thinking of this last night as I fell asleep...
95% of us don't buy cars based on their NĂĽrburgring results. Those results are fun to watch. But they are far from reality for the great majority.

This new test, the Super IKE is definitely like lapping a car at the NĂĽrburgring, or the Top Gear/Grand Tour test track. Fun to watch, very fun to watch - and frankly a lot more scientific than the Clarkson/Hammond/May usual line of testing...
But just because Clarkson complains that the car won't go sideways, or doesn't reach it's alleged top speed, doesn't necessarily mean it's not right for me.

So, while this was super exciting to watch, and definitely a nice, new test for TFL. The results are really based on the test - not real life use for the statistical majority.

The only two negatives, that I see, are:

1. Current lack of availability of an integrated brake controller. Solution: aftermarket, or wait for the mopar one, which is coming.
2. Current lack of availability of towing mirrors. Solution: aftermarket.

So if you want a multi-purpose vehicle, off-road and better towing than the current off-road vehicles, this is an extremely good option.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I was thinking of this last night as I fell asleep...
95% of us don't buy cars based on their NĂĽrburgring results. Those results are fun to watch. But they are far from reality for the great majority.

This new test, the Super IKE is definitely like lapping a car at the NĂĽrburgring, or the Top Gear/Grand Tour test track. Fun to watch, very fun to watch - and frankly a lot more scientific than the Clarkson/Hammond/May usual line of testing...
But just because Clarkson complains that the car won't go sideways, or doesn't reach it's alleged top speed, doesn't necessarily mean it's not right for me.
LMFAO, i was thinking something very similar YESTERDAY, (are our cycles linked now from posting too often near each other:CWL:?).

I was thinking about how much i'm going to pimp out my JT and how off-road awesome it'll be, also how little of that off-road capacity i'll actually use.

Got me thinking back to my auto-X days when I would SPANK Corvette's (not all, but many) and even an Ariel Atom once on RAW time in my 105hp 1989 Honda Civic SI.

I never talked crap to those guys. It was all about going out there and having fun for them/me. I feel my laughs/Dollar were much higher than theirs, but who cares. They probably really enjoy driving their Corvette's on a daily basis and occasionally take it out for some racing.

No different than a guy that jacks up a 1994 Cherokee and has a blast on the trail. He'll probably laugh at me at a stoplight one day for what I paid for my rig, but so what, i'll be loving my Gladiator daily, but only occasionally taking it out off-roading. (I know some of you guys will really test your JTs, but for me, probably not)

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I see it like this.... kinda like a winch. You buy based on a factor of what you’re towing. If you’re gonna tow 7k often you look for at least 10k towing capacity, if you’re gonna tow 10-12k a lot look for something that has 15k or more capacity. You never want to be hooking up to max all the time. So....
Those that say they have a 6-7k boat, you need a full size truck w/ 10k towing to not overwork the tow vehicle. However if you have said 7k boat and only plan to tow it twice a year, once to the lake in the spring and once back home in the fall, I think the gladiator will work fine. For most of us, at least me anyway, I have a small cargo trailer with 3500lb axle that this truck wouldn’t even notice and with this truck could even upgrade to a bigger trailer with 5 or 7k “capacity”. I’m not planning on pulling a car hauler or anything that big so for me it would be just fine.

Last edited:

Triton63

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500, 2015 jeep wrangler sport
I would expect anything to slow down some at max load in a superike run.. but that's just me. I'm impressed it didnt start to heat way up, that seems to be common with mopar products these days from personal experience.

Sponsored

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
The only thing that bothered me is watching the Glad make that whole pull with the engine at redline..

So if you like listening to a 6000 RPM screaming engine for 8 miles go for it... plus the 4 miles to the gallon..whew..

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Finally watched. These guys did a nice job. On that hill, you are going somewhere. For eight minutes you know it'll get there, but not worried cause your mind and talk is where your going or where you've been. Yeah, loud, but it kept 45. I'm actually more impressed with it after seeing this ride along. That's a fucking great truck. Should have taken the freedom panels off, that is often overlooked.
Sponsored