mxmiller

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
would like to hear thoughts on snorkels for the JT

was looking at the mopar for the wrangler not sure how long it will take for them to come out with one for gladiator

what are pros and cons of snorkel on a truck
Sponsored

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
would like to hear thoughts on snorkels for the JT

was looking at the mopar for the wrangler not sure how long it will take for them to come out with one for gladiator

what are pros and cons of snorkel on a truck
I believe on the video of the presscorp test driving the Gladiator in California, there was one with a snorkel.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The JL snorkel should bolt right on - front end is the same (disclaimer - except for grill slot size)

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
According to Jeep, even with a snorkel, the fording depth is still 30 inches because of the electronics. The snorkel will give you cooler air temperatures, keep more road dust out of your air filter, and give you a (false) sense of security when crossing water holes you did not depth check first.

Sponsored

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
According to Jeep, even with a snorkel, the fording depth is still 30 inches because of the electronics. The snorkel will give you cooler air temperatures, keep more road dust out of your air filter, and give you a (false) sense of security when crossing water holes you did not depth check first.
Wait, they made a Wrangler-esque truck that is fording depth was based on its electronics?!?!? What? My celphone can survive at 6 ft for 30 minutes and I personally put di-electric grease on all electrical ends for the systems on my jet ski for submersion so that seems like kind of a cop out.

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU "Hulk"
It's likely a CYA. All the electrics are sealed, etc. But they also hang under a vehicle that's likely to get banged up, and maybe a seal here or there damaged. 30" still isn't anything to sneeze at, IMHO.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Its not just electrical. Its also breather hoses for the tranny and diffs. Maybe the tcase as well? They do however make extenders.

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
Its not just electrical. Its also breather hoses for the tranny and diffs. Maybe the tcase as well? They do however make extenders.
Right. If you research it, you will find they had a kit to "waterproof" the original WW2 MB and GPW. It waa basically a hose run from the carb out the side of the hood and tied to the windshield. They added a smaller tube to vent the diffs and the gas tank IIRC. Then they added a quick disconnect bracket to slack the fan belt from the pulley to keep the fan from slinging water. Finally they included a bucket of waterproof grease to slather on everything else.

You had to change all the fluids after you finished fording. Good luck cleaning off all that grease.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
This is very accurate. The danger of fording water in a Jeep is you soak your ignition module. This happens before water hits the air intake.

The snorkel protects the air intake. But you do get benefit, by being higher on the jeep, it pulls cooler air and acts like a cold air intake, Which means more horsepower by a bit. It also reduces the amount of dust that hits the filter

What's more is you can do a hack and attach a cyclonic pre-filter to the top which is made for farm and construction equipment, which will reduce the dust that reaches the engine by 90% or so. The air spins in the round cylinder, forcing the particles through centrifugal action to the outside and the air is drawn to the engine from the inside.

Depending on the snorkel you will have to cut a hole or two in your truck. It looks cool, not terribly functional unless you move the electronics.

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Right. If you research it, you will find they had a kit to "waterproof" the original WW2 MB and GPW. It waa basically a hose run from the carb out the side of the hood and tied to the windshield. They added a smaller tube to vent the diffs and the gas tank IIRC. Then they added a quick disconnect bracket to slack the fan belt from the pulley to keep the fan from slinging water. Finally they included a bucket of waterproof grease to slather on everything else.

You had to change all the fluids after you finished fording. Good luck cleaning off all that grease.
Changing the transmission fluid is easily fixed my attaching a small hose to the transmission breather and running it into the engine compartment, which if you are driving through water is something you should do anyway.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Also, when fording water with a manual transmission, you should pick the correct gear before entering the water so you do not need to engage the clutch after it has been submerged. Think of how your disc brakes feel after getting them wet, your clutch plates do the same thing.

Also, from my previous post - 30 inches in stock form. That info came from Jeep.

Dorbritz

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Jeep Wrangler, 65 VW Beetle, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray.
I am considering the Hauk Offroad Snorkel. It's low profile and shouldn't cause much drag and wind noise. I also like the fact that the only hole you must drill is in the plastic cowl so easy to paint and replace if you ever decide to go back to stock.

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I am considering the Hauk Offroad Snorkel. It's low profile and shouldn't cause much drag and wind noise. I also like the fact that the only hole you must drill is in the plastic cowl so easy to paint and replace if you ever decide to go back to stock.
Can you still fold windshield down? Not like anyone ever does but, hmm

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Can you still fold windshield down? Not like anyone ever does but, hmm
I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. He also has his light mounts in the way so I don't think he cares for that ...
Neat solution though.
Sponsored