Sponsored

Anyone seen dealers trying to dissuade purchases?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Just test drove a Sport S w/max tow here in CT. This dealer had an addendum for $2000 over msrp to discourage a purchase, because they only had 2 Glads (Rubi and the Sport), and their first two were bought within hours. They're trying to keep it on lot to have something to show. Anybody else seen this?
Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
If their first two were purchased within hours of being dropped off at the lot why does it bother you that they increase the price? Wouldn't you increase the price of your goods or services if they were flying off the shelves faster than you could resupply?

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I missed the part where it bothered me. Care to point it out? I'll wait.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Your post doesn't whine about it, but you did post this question in the first place. To me their action is a natural response to supply and demand. I've seen too many people on the Internet cry about price gouging (especially fuel during hurricanes), so I'm sensitive to this subject. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I can sense the offense in your defensive response.

No hard feelings!

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
No, just curious whether others had seen this so far.

Edit: Price gouging laws are stupid. They only lead to shortages and less equitable rationing of available supply.:like:

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Hey did you happen to notice the fenders, particularly the front ones? Were they mounted high like the gladiator? Any pics?

PS: I’ve seen dealers mark up over retail many times but have never heard them use “We want to keep it on the lot to increase interest” as an excuse before-

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Regular fenders.

20190522_155939.jpg

Edit: The white Rubi seen through the front windows is the other Glad on the lot.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Your post doesn't whine about it, but you did post this question in the first place. To me their action is a natural response to supply and demand. I've seen too many people on the Internet cry about price gouging (especially fuel during hurricanes), so I'm sensitive to this subject. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I can sense the offense in your defensive response.

No hard feelings!
From my perspective I felt OP was shocked they didn't want to sell all their inventory - not shocked they were asking over MSRP. In other words, not the pricing but the reason for the pricing.

We have a few dealers around Atlanta trying for over MSRP. As I understand it, they are not successful. I think everyone knows this isn't a limited supply, it's just constrained because it's new.

I've visited several dealers to see different colors and trim levels. All of them were eager to move inventory.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I'll put it this way. My local dealer has a 5k markup on the only red Rubicon they have. Yes I got pissed as Soon as I saw it but I cooled off and came back to talk...it was explained as ...this truck is like the new I phone everyone wants one and the people who are willing to pay over will buy but was told if I wait 6 plus months they will be sold invoice or lower. Be patient. This truck is new and hot on the market. You will get a good deal once dealers get flooded with them

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Regular fenders.

20190522_155939.jpg

Edit: The white Rubi seen through the front windows is the other Glad on the lot.
Those are not the same fenders as the standard Sport. Notice the lip to cover the added width of the axles? Interesting.

Even more interesting that Jeep uses the same order code for those and the Rubicon.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Those are not the same fenders as the standard Sport. Notice the lip to cover the added width of the axles? Interesting.

Even more interesting that Jeep uses the same order code for those and the Rubicon.
Yes it is....wonder how that can be

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

No hard feelings!
Hmm. What does TX do? FL has laws in place to prevent price gouging during hurricanes (any natural disaster), plus have a complaint hotline, and active pursuit and punishment of the gougers
Sponsored