Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Dead in >24 hours. Never buy from Lake Elsinore CDJR.

Did your Gladiator have major defects from the manufacturer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbullhamster

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 firecracker red gladiator Rubicon. 2008 JKU
This is to serve as a warning to never EVER buying a vehicle from Lake Elsinore Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram & a warning about FCA’s quality control.

This is series of events that may not read particularly exciting but it is a series of frustrations of complete failures by Lake Elsinore CDJR that needs to be documented & discussed somewhere. They took our money & though malicious intent or staggeringly overwhelming incompetence took 6 FULL DAYS to reply to our issue of being sold a defective & dangerous vehicle.

A quick TL;DR is that Elsinore sold a vehicle I think they knew had an issue.
  • Vehicle prep after signing paperwork took an extra 1.5 hours.
  • The Gladiator lost all power steering fluid in 114 miles because of faulty steering box.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR did not return our multiple calls & messages for 6 DAYS despite assuring a Manager or General Manager would.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR had me tow a vehicle purchased >24 hours before to a different dealership.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR has made no offer to fix this issue or put me in another vehicle.
  • I want a Gladiator. I will get another gladiator. I do not want Lake Elsinore CDJRs Gladiator.

Here is a rundown of timeline I have dealt with. I will update this timeline as it progresses. I have a feeling this is far from over.

Tuesday 5/14/19

• 2:30pm 5/14/19. Purchased a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Jeep had >10 miles.
Wednesday 5/15/19

• 9am 5/15/19. Noticed oil in driveway. Power steering fluid reservoir DRAINED & fluid weeping from steering shaft input to steering box. 114 miles on odometer.

• 9:48am 5/15. Call Lake Elsinore CDJR service. Advise them I have a NEW 2020 vehicle purchased the day before that is undriveable. Service advises me to call FCA roadside assistance as their dealership “does not have tow capabilities.

• ~11am 5/15/19. FCA roadside assistance picks up vehicle to take to McPeeks in Anaheim. Elsinore CDJR is “outside the 14 mile tow area.”

• 2:23pm 5/15/19. Call Mcpeek for update & what they have found. They can not start on vehicle as VIN is too new to show buyer/owner of vehicle. I am told Lake Elsinore CDJR is non-responsive to requests for info.

• 2:25pm 5/15. Personally text & call receptionist to send McPeek info they need now.

• 2:40pm 5/15. Receptionist messages me she did so.

• Day 1. NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Multiple messages left. Voicemail & operator.
Thursday 5/16/19
  • Mcpeek advises new steering box. All parts “blocked” & unavailable. Mcpeek working with area managers to resolve issue.

• McPeek Advises opening Care Report through FCA 1-800 # to help put pressure on situation.
  • No solution by end of day. No part # or order placed.

• Day 2. NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Multiple messages left. Voicemail & operator.
Friday 5/17/19
  • Called Mcpeek for update. None to give. Trying to find part or way to get part. McPeek advises there will be no updates over weekend.

• Called on update for “Care report.” Told it is moved up to case manager with a “Dylan.” Given case number. Was told I would receive a call. I was not called.

• DAY 3 NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR.
Monday 5/19/19
  • Visit McPeek for update. They advise that parts availability says June 4th at the earliest. They do not seem optimistic.

• 1:30pm Call for update on Care Report as no call was received.

• Dylan, FCA case manager calls me while I am on the phone with FCA 1 800 #.
Very frustrating conversation. Says he needs me to tell him what I want him to do. Says he doesnt understand the issue. Offers NO SOLUTION. Does not call me back when we become disconnected.

• Abriana (who I was on the phone with initially from FCA when Dylan interrupted) calls me back to inform me that in the 10 minutes we were disconnected she has contacted both McPeek service & Lake Elsinore CDJR.

• Escalation to supervisor reveals report is filed as “Just a tow” still. Supervisor Anthony assures me he will review Dylan’s frustrating call log & change status of report from “Tow issue.”

• DAY 6. 6 DAYS AFTER PURCHASING THE VEHICLE. 5 Days after notifying them there was an issue, Sales associate Bobby calls me because Abrianna has contacted him.

• Advise Bobby I need a full refund. Vehicle is inoperable for 4 weeks, at best. Likely longer. MORE IMPORTANTLY, Vehicle was sold defective & dangerous to drive.
Tuesday 5/20/19
  • Certified mail sent to Lake Elsinore CDJR & CEO of FCA Group Mike Manley requesting full refund for defective vehicle. Copied as email to both parties as well.

• Receive email reply from CEO Michael Manley’s assistant, Jennifer, advising she has looked into the issue & is taking over all related matters.

• As it stands now I am dealing directly with her.

Chrysler failed to deliver a vehicle that was not a hazard on the road. Even a technically savvy person would have likely driven the vehicle to failure had an observant person not noticed the oil spots early on. I’m not sure what happens when you drive a vehicle with no power steering fluid for too long but I’d sure rather not find out at 70mph on the freeway. Or in the middle of the San Bernardino mountains off-road. My mother drove this vehicle to dinner the evening before. I’m unsure how this wasn’t an emergency for Lake Elsinore CDJR to handle immediately but they managed to put it off for 5 days. It is also beyond me how you can sell an anticipated vehicle the day after it is first delivered to the dealership, be advised it is out of commission immediately for, at best, 4 weeks & not offer a replacement. Let alone a rental car.

In summary, avoid Lake Elsinore CDJR at all costs. Their reviews tell the same story from many frustrated customers. I realize dealerships probably attract negative reviews, but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that has 3.9 stars. You can say we should have known better or done our homework but without this issue it likely wouldnt have mattered what we thought of the dealership & it’s inhabitants.
The reality is these dealerships are the face of the manufactures. We were eventually able get help from pretty high up, it remains to be seen if that really solves anything, but until we can knock on the manufactures door & yell at them these slimy dealerships are the conduit for enjoying & dealing with these brands we choose. Many customers aren't so lucky to have some support at the manufacturer level like we have manahed to squeeze out here.

For Lake Elsinore CDJR to act in this manner is unconscionable.

@JeepCares I do not appreciate that your thread is locked "to avoid confusion" and you request DMs. Seems like a way to get ahead of launch issues & keep them off the searchable internet. I see you encourage @'s but your efforts seem to point towards keeping rustled feathers flattened.

Feel free to chime in with your issues. Feel free to ask questions. Feel free to spread this.
Feel obligated to look under/in/around your new Gladiator with a magnifying glass when you take delivery.

EDIT; 6/5/19

The truck was returned to us 5/30/19 fixed.
McPeek was able to get us a steering box from the production line through dumb luck apparently. The service manager Craig at McPeek had a contact who had a friend (Tuan Nguyen) that was able to pull the part & have it overnighted to the dealership. So sorry if your Gladiator you ordered is now in limbo because it's missing a steering box while being built.

This was all while we were in contact with Michael Manley, FCA CEO's, secretary Jennifer. She was somewhat helpful in taking over the issue & escalating but unable to locate the part or offer a real solution. She was very careful about not putting any communication in writing & only calling to talk about this issue or reimbursement.

In the end, McPeek made it clear that this Tuan Nguyen is the one that made getting this part happen, not the higher ups at FCA. I'm sure it helped having everyone involved & staying pissed off, but not being rabid & rude.

But the moral of the story is that it seems lucky I had this Jeep towed to the this specific dealership where they had these connections. instead of the 4 others in the area or the original dealership who continues to be unhelpful & non-responsive to requests for extended warranty documents we never received. Of which, we will be canceling.

The compensation received for all of this was the 125k mile/8yr warranty & one months worth of payment. This obviously helps alleviate the stress of having to deal with all of this & helps put some confidence back in the vehicle & the company.

zEwiU7b copy.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
First mistake; since this is your very first post on the forum, you obviously didn’t research where to buy a Gladiator and save thousands of dollars, get good customer service and dealer prep that may have found an issue long before you picked it up.
Second mistake; this is your first post.
Third mistake; call roadside assistance and get the vehicle towed to any dealer for obvious warranty work.

Waiting for someone to call you back is silly. Sorry to rain on your hyperbole, but I don’t see the issue as being life threatening or a big deal. A PITA yes, but starting your relationship with this forum community in this manner makes me think you’re trying to get out of a bad deal.

OP
OP
Redbullhamster

Redbullhamster

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 firecracker red gladiator Rubicon. 2008 JKU
@Sorbs

So I should post about what color D-ring or what stickers I want to buy for the truck for 2 weeks before allowing myself to post about this, my main & only issue? I didnt get to have the truck long enough to make 10 posts about what bed racks are available.

I knew there would be replies like this but it's still frustrating to see. I'm not new to the internet or forums so why waste time dicking around with pleasantries when I have an issue like this? I'm aware there will be others that think the way you do when they read this post.

I can only state my intent to continue with the Gladiator. You can think what you want about how I feel owning a Gladiator with a dead steering box. Seems like a good reason to resent a purchase, unlike having buyers remorse.
I have a 10 year old JK. I dont think calling me a Jeep newcomer is a good excuse either.

Hard to believe you would roll over and accept your fate when dropping 5 figures on your new vehicle only to be told it will be non-operational for 4 weeks.

NEVERMIND the issues with the dealer, which is the main complaint here. No contact for 5 days? That seems like something I could have done research to avoid?

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
@Sorbs

So I should post about what color D-ring or what stickers I want to buy for the truck for 2 weeks before allowing myself to post about this, my main & only issue? I didnt get to have the truck long enough to make 10 posts about what bed racks are available.

I knew there would be replies like this but it's still frustrating to see. I'm not new to the internet or forums so why waste time dicking around with pleasantries when I have an issue like this? I'm aware there will be others that think the way you do when they read this post.

I can only state my intent to continue with the Gladiator. You can think what you want about how I feel owning a Gladiator with a dead steering box. Seems like a good reason to resent a purchase, unlike having buyers remorse.
I have a 10 year old JK. I dont think calling me a Jeep newcomer is a good excuse either.

Hard to believe you would roll over and accept your fate when dropping 5 figures on your new vehicle only to be told it will be non-operational for 4 weeks.

NEVERMIND the issues with the dealer, which is the main complaint here. No contact for 5 days? That seems like something I could have done research to avoid?
Every vehicle may have flaws. You can pick up a half a million dollar vehicle and it have a flaw from factory. These vehicles are mass made and quality will slip up. We are human. I see your frustrations but I think you need to relax and I'm pretty sure things will be taken care of because it's in warranty. Wording some things would be better to the mind when us forum members read this it seems like a mindless rant. We get your frustrated and aggravated but accidents happen. As a matter of fact your the second person I've seen with this issue. I would probably be more polite with the ppl fixing your truck. Kindness goes a long way. Be a jack a$$ and it will be forever before the truck will be fixed. Happy trails and welcome to the forums. PS don't get so wrapped into it. Be patient it will work out

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Red LE, 2014 Sierra 6in lift, 2015 Ford Fusion
You'd loose power steering but still be able to steer.

My GMC has electric steering that went out a couple times when it was new but has since been fixed via recall. That led to a few hairy moments trying to turn while stopped.

Sorry to hear about your jeep. It's not unusual for new vehicles to not have replacement parts readily available. Look into your states lemon laws...if they can't get it fixed within a certain time period you'll get taken care of regardless of the dealerships willingness to help.

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
I saw your original post on the FB group, and thought "wow, that really sucks." Hearing what has transpired since then doesn't improve things.

As far as the forum goes, hopefully issues like these will continue to be tracked in the "ISSUES, REPAIRS, WARRANTY, TSB, RECALLS" section like some of the other issues early adopters are seeing. We will see if this is a one off like @Rex3rd says or a design flaw.

I would be furious too if I bought a brand new vehicle and the instant you drove it off the lot the dealership went radio silent.

It sounds like if you are working with Manley’s assistant now, so there's not much more help a bunch of owners/potential owners/trolls, or even @JeepCares can do to help you out with.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I like how there isn't a no issues selection on the poll, just mechanical or cosmetic.

Power steering loss is annoying, but you would have been fine at 70 on the highway as that is when power steering does the least work. Sharp turns at low speed would have been annoying though.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have had a similar situation to this happen on 2 of the last vehicles i’ve bought.

The one pertinent to this forum was a 2014 Jeep GC Ecodiesel.
Called the dealer and they said to call the 1-800 Jeep number to get a tow (Sound familiar?)
A couple of days later they diagnosed the problem and of course the part was backordered for a couple of weeks ( Sound familiar?)
They gave me a loaner a POS.
A few weeks later they fixed the GC and we have had several trouble free years since.

My point is that what you’re experiencing is not new, nor is it catastrophic. Take a deep breath, drive the shit out of their loaner and enjoy your Gladiator when you get it back...

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I saw your original post on the FB group, and thought "wow, that really sucks." Hearing what has transpired since then doesn't improve things.

As far as the forum goes, hopefully issues like these will continue to be tracked in the "ISSUES, REPAIRS, WARRANTY, TSB, RECALLS" section like some of the other issues early adopters are seeing. We will see if this is a one off like @Rex3rd says or a design flaw.

I would be furious too if I bought a brand new vehicle and the instant you drove it off the lot the dealership went radio silent.

It sounds like if you are working with Manley’s assistant now, so there's not much more help a bunch of owners/potential owners/trolls, or even @JeepCares can do to help you out with.
Exactly man, I would be really pissed as well.

Don't understand why some of you guys are riding his ass. Does it really matter how many post he has or doesn't has? Not okay to vent?

Warren hope your issue is sorted out expeditiously.

Sponsored

NJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
This is to serve as a warning to never EVER buying a vehicle from Lake Elsinore Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram & a warning about FCA’s quality control.
Feel free to chime in with your issues. Feel free to ask questions. Feel free to spread this.
Feel obligated to look under/in/around your new Gladiator with a magnifying glass when you take delivery.
zEwiU7b copy.jpg
I have read your post on the FB group as well, and if I had to go through all these hoops to get it fixed my post would be a lot worse than yours.

To everyone that is riding the OP for venting, get over yourselves! I work for a manufacturer and new product or not, the lack of responses from the players in this issue is appalling and would lead any company towards a PR nightmare. That seems to be the OP's main concern, every line is about the failure to resolve.If you are ok with dropping $60k on an item and receiving said item but not being able to use that item for 4-6 weeks yet interest and payments are still accruing, all the power to you.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant

This is series of events that may not read particularly exciting but it is a series of frustrations of complete failures by Lake Elsinore CDJR that needs to be documented & discussed somewhere. They took our money & though malicious intent or staggeringly overwhelming incompetence took 6 FULL DAYS to reply to our issue of being sold a defective & dangerous vehicle.

A quick TL;DR is that Elsinore sold a vehicle I think they knew had an issue.
  • Vehicle prep after signing paperwork took an extra 1.5 hours.
  • The Gladiator lost all power steering fluid in 114 miles because of faulty steering box.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR did not return our multiple calls & messages for 6 DAYS despite assuring a Manager or General Manager would.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR had me tow a vehicle purchased >24 hours before to a different dealership.
  • Lake Elsinore CDJR has made no offer to fix this issue or put me in another vehicle.
  • I want a Gladiator. I will get another gladiator. I do not want Lake Elsinore CDJRs Gladiator.

Here is a rundown of timeline I have dealt with. I will update this timeline as it progresses. I have a feeling this is far from over.

Tuesday 5/14/19

• 2:30pm 5/14/19. Purchased a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Jeep had >10 miles.
Wednesday 5/15/19

• 9am 5/15/19. Noticed oil in driveway. Power steering fluid reservoir DRAINED & fluid weeping from steering shaft input to steering box. 114 miles on odometer.

• 9:48am 5/15. Call Lake Elsinore CDJR service. Advise them I have a NEW 2020 vehicle purchased the day before that is undriveable. Service advises me to call FCA roadside assistance as their dealership “does not have tow capabilities.

• ~11am 5/15/19. FCA roadside assistance picks up vehicle to take to McPeeks in Anaheim. Elsinore CDJR is “outside the 14 mile tow area.”

• 2:23pm 5/15/19. Call Mcpeek for update & what they have found. They can not start on vehicle as VIN is too new to show buyer/owner of vehicle. I am told Lake Elsinore CDJR is non-responsive to requests for info.

• 2:25pm 5/15. Personally text & call receptionist to send McPeek info they need now.

• 2:40pm 5/15. Receptionist messages me she did so.

• Day 1. NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Multiple messages left. Voicemail & operator.
Thursday 5/16/19
  • Mcpeek advises new steering box. All parts “blocked” & unavailable. Mcpeek working with area managers to resolve issue.

• McPeek Advises opening Care Report through FCA 1-800 # to help put pressure on situation.
  • No solution by end of day. No part # or order placed.

• Day 2. NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR. Multiple messages left. Voicemail & operator.
Friday 5/17/19
  • Called Mcpeek for update. None to give. Trying to find part or way to get part. McPeek advises there will be no updates over weekend.

• Called on update for “Care report.” Told it is moved up to case manager with a “Dylan.” Given case number. Was told I would receive a call. I was not called.

• DAY 3 NO CALL BACK from Lake Elsinore CDJR.
Monday 5/19/19
  • Visit McPeek for update. They advise that parts availability says June 4th at the earliest. They do not seem optimistic.

• 1:30pm Call for update on Care Report as no call was received.

• Dylan, FCA case manager calls me while I am on the phone with FCA 1 800 #.
Very frustrating conversation. Says he needs me to tell him what I want him to do. Says he doesnt understand the issue. Offers NO SOLUTION. Does not call me back when we become disconnected.

• Abriana (who I was on the phone with initially from FCA when Dylan interrupted) calls me back to inform me that in the 10 minutes we were disconnected she has contacted both McPeek service & Lake Elsinore CDJR.

• Escalation to supervisor reveals report is filed as “Just a tow” still. Supervisor Anthony assures me he will review Dylan’s frustrating call log & change status of report from “Tow issue.”

• DAY 6. 6 DAYS AFTER PURCHASING THE VEHICLE. 5 Days after notifying them there was an issue, Sales associate Bobby calls me because Abrianna has contacted him.

• Advise Bobby I need a full refund. Vehicle is inoperable for 4 weeks, at best. Likely longer. MORE IMPORTANTLY, Vehicle was sold defective & dangerous to drive.
Tuesday 5/20/19
  • Certified mail sent to Lake Elsinore CDJR & CEO of FCA Group Mike Manley requesting full refund for defective vehicle. Copied as email to both parties as well.

• Receive email reply from CEO Michael Manley’s assistant, Jennifer, advising she has looked into the issue & is taking over all related matters.

• As it stands now I am dealing directly with her.

Chrysler failed to deliver a vehicle that was not a hazard on the road. Even a technically savvy person would have likely driven the vehicle to failure had an observant person not noticed the oil spots early on. I’m not sure what happens when you drive a vehicle with no power steering fluid for too long but I’d sure rather not find out at 70mph on the freeway. Or in the middle of the San Bernardino mountains off-road. My mother drove this vehicle to dinner the evening before. I’m unsure how this wasn’t an emergency for Lake Elsinore CDJR to handle immediately but they managed to put it off for 5 days. It is also beyond me how you can sell an anticipated vehicle the day after it is first delivered to the dealership, be advised it is out of commission immediately for, at best, 4 weeks & not offer a replacement. Let alone a rental car.

In summary, avoid Lake Elsinore CDJR at all costs. Their reviews tell the same story from many frustrated customers. I realize dealerships probably attract negative reviews, but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that has 3.9 stars. You can say we should have known better or done our homework but without this issue it likely wouldnt have mattered what we thought of the dealership & it’s inhabitants.
The reality is these dealerships are the face of the manufactures. We were eventually able get help from pretty high up, it remains to be seen if that really solves anything, but until we can knock on the manufactures door & yell at them these slimy dealerships are the conduit for enjoying & dealing with these brands we choose. Many customers aren't so lucky to have some support at the manufacturer level like we have manahed to squeeze out here.

For Lake Elsinore CDJR to act in this manner is unconscionable.

@JeepCares I do not appreciate that your thread is locked "to avoid confusion" and you request DMs. Seems like a way to get ahead of launch issues & keep them off the searchable internet. I see you encourage @'s but your efforts seem to point towards keeping rustled feathers flattened.

zEwiU7b copy.jpg
Your situation sucks right now. Glad nobody was hurt as a result. Welcome to the forum. I hope you hang around and contribute to the forum long after your Gladiator issues are resolved. I think your post is justified. I can tell you're frustrated with the situation. Seems like you are now in touch with the right contact. Everyone handles stressors like this in different ways. Could be much worse. Nothing I say or any advice I give can make you feel any better. This could have happened to any one of us but unfortunately you are the unlucky one. Hang in there and be patient. At least you have your JK to satisfy your Jeep fix for now. Keep us posted.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Dude this sucks! But you really need to learn the difference between the greater than > and less than< sign. You keep saying “dead in greater than 24 hours” “greater than 10 miles”

But in all seriousness this sucks. I would be pissed!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.