Sponsored

Anyone seen dealers trying to dissuade purchases?

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
No, just curious whether others had seen this so far.

Edit: Price gouging laws are stupid. They only lead to shortages and less equitable rationing of available supply.:like:
You can't price gouge what is basically a luxury.

Just walk away.
Sponsored

Big Red Gladiator

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra (gone... Just totaled it 4/22/19) Now a 2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited, RX350 (Wife's) and soon a Gladiator LE
No, just curious whether others had seen this so far.

Edit: Price gouging laws are stupid. They only lead to shortages and less equitable rationing of available supply.:like:
In Franklin TN a dealer is charging 5K over MSRP for Market adjustment. I think they can do that If they want, but I will not buy from them. I had to swallow hard just to order my LE at MSRP

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You can't price gouge what is basically a luxury.

Just walk away.
This!

People are acting like the cure for cancer is being kept from them with these marked up JT's.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I take back all of my preconceived notions about you. Can we be friends? :rock:

Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Hmm. What does TX do? FL has laws in place to prevent price gouging during hurricanes (any natural disaster), plus have a complaint hotline, and active pursuit and punishment of the gougers
This is a total hijack, but let me give you two scenarios:

There is a hurricane coming toward Corpus Christi. There are 50,000 vehicles that need to get to San Antonio. The drive takes around 8 gallons of fuel. On average people have a little more than half a tank of gas which is enough to get from CC to SA. The .gov, in their infinite wisdom, makes a law against "price gouging," therefore the gas stations between CC and SA hold the price steady. Their inventory is around 100,000 gallons, but 50,000 cars want to fill up I'll guess around an average of 10 gallons each at normal prices. The demand is now 500,000 gallons, far exceeding the supply. Because you were stuck at work, you are late to leave CC. The first 10,000 cars that left before you filled up with every available drop of gasoline between CC and SA. You have 5 gallons in your Firecracker Red Rubicon with matching fenders and hard top. You run out of gas 50 miles out of town in bumper to bumper traffic and a category 5 hurricane destroys your JT and you're lucky to make it out alive.

Consider another scenario...

Every station from CC to SA jacks their per gallon price by $2.00. All of the sudden people start making decisions not based on emotion but based on the logic that they already have enough fuel to get to SA where there is plenty of reserves on hand at normal prices. They skip the gas station and you stop by and pay an extra $30 more than you would have, but you don't run out of gas on the side of the road and your JT is not destroyed.

After Harvey gas was extremely limited in SA. People were filling up every can and container they had including 55 gallon plastic trash cans. Would they have done that if the prices reflected the supply?

Please tell me why laws that drive people to consume more than they need while others are unable to get any make us all better off... It isn't price gouging. It is a natural response to a step input in demand and it helps to regulate supply accordingly. Price fixing just means that only the lucky first ones get fuel and the rest are SOL.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Apologies for adding to the hijack...

Let's say that I live outside of the affected area of that hurricane. I can easily get fuel at regular prices. Let's also posit that I'm just a greedy mf'er who doesn't give a d@mn about others.

Let's assume no price gouging laws. Gas jumps to $10/gallon in the affected area. So maybe my greedy @ss decides to load up my Gladiator's small, but sufficient bed with fuel and head in to make some moolah.

Sure, my "victims" will pay more for fuel. But it's better than no fuel. And even though I have no concern for other's welfare, my greed increases the supply, which of course drives prices down.

After Hurricane Sandy, a black market in fuel cropped up online and on social media in defiance of price gouging laws. And yes, people from outside of the devastated areas brought fuel in to sell, which helped people to get through the aftermath.

Last edited:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
This is a total hijack, but let me give you two scenarios:

There is a hurricane coming toward Corpus Christi. There are 50,000 vehicles that need to get to San Antonio. The drive takes around 8 gallons of fuel. On average people have a little more than half a tank of gas which is enough to get from CC to SA. The .gov, in their infinite wisdom, makes a law against "price gouging," therefore the gas stations between CC and SA hold the price steady. Their inventory is around 100,000 gallons, but 50,000 cars want to fill up I'll guess around an average of 10 gallons each at normal prices. The demand is now 500,000 gallons, far exceeding the supply. Because you were stuck at work, you are late to leave CC. The first 10,000 cars that left before you filled up with every available drop of gasoline between CC and SA. You have 5 gallons in your Firecracker Red Rubicon with matching fenders and hard top. You run out of gas 50 miles out of town in bumper to bumper traffic and a category 5 hurricane destroys your JT and you're lucky to make it out alive.

Consider another scenario...

Every station from CC to SA jacks their per gallon price by $2.00. All of the sudden people start making decisions not based on emotion but based on the logic that they already have enough fuel to get to SA where there is plenty of reserves on hand at normal prices. They skip the gas station and you stop by and pay an extra $30 more than you would have, but you don't run out of gas on the side of the road and your JT is not destroyed.

After Harvey gas was extremely limited in SA. People were filling up every can and container they had including 55 gallon plastic trash cans. Would they have done that if the prices reflected the supply?

Please tell me why laws that drive people to consume more than they need while others are unable to get any make us all better off... It isn't price gouging. It is a natural response to a step input in demand and it helps to regulate supply accordingly. Price fixing just means that only the lucky first ones get fuel and the rest are SOL.

Having lived on the coast of Texas for several years and having gone through several hurricanes I’ll have to disagree with you.

If you are late to heed the warnings and find yourself in a panic along with all the other dumbasses who didn’t take the warnings seriously you will pay what ever you need to to get some gas and that’s where the gouging can occur. The fuel supply chain along the coast is well established and they do everything they can to keep the stations stocked but it always amazes me how many people were ambivalent to the situation around them....

Rant off.

Reactions: BAT
OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
If you are late to heed the warnings and find yourself in a panic along with all the other dumbasses who didn’t take the warnings seriously you will pay what ever you need to to get some gas and that’s where the gouging can occur.
This part of the discussion should probably move to the Lounge, and as I've contributed to the off topic conversation, I'll start it there.

Last edited:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

As to the OP, I've been having a hard time getting dealers to talk actual real world pricing on the Costco plan. It's like asking me to commit to placing an order on the spot without allowing me to give informed consent especially when there is the matter of a trade, balance of finance payments and insurance to factor in. The Costco plan is super simple, it's a fixed amount below invoice and yet they all want to act like they never heard me say that word.

Now for jacking the price to stall the unit on the lot for more curb appeal and eyes-on, debatable. If they are a big wrangler dealer then yes it may make sense but if they sell of a lot of Dodge and Ram and are saddled with Jeep, they may be like my local and just push it into the corner of the lot/showroom knowing those who want to see it will see it. I just can't see them doing it to stall a vehicle. Make some extra gravy on an impulse buy sure but not stalling it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Place had a lot of Wranglers, with both Gladiators right out front. It wasn't so much for curb appeal, as wanting something to be able to show, until they got a decent inventory.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've seen dealerships around the Chicagoland area put not for sale/for show only on vehicles before. Nothing wrong with that. If it is a new or rare vehicle they have the right to show it off prior to selling.

Right out of high school I worked at an Acura dealership. This is when the Integra Type R was the most sought after sports car. First they labeled it not for sale for a month or so. Then they put a 15k mark-up on it. A dad came in and bought it for his son within a couple days.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
$10K markup and $500 nitro fill :D It's a free market. There's an arse for every seat.
Sponsored