Sponsored

Torsen/TrueTrac helical limited slip differential?

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I don't have a Gladiator yet but am looking forward to getting one, hopefully later this year.

About 15 years ago I had a Dodge Cummins 2500 that had the AAM-version of a helical gear antislip differential and I was exceptionally impressed with how well it worked - getting me across sloped wet grass without spinning, and up fairly steep winding unpaved snow covered driveways without even needing to engage 4wd.

I have the factory clutch-type antispin diff in my current Ram 1500 ecodiesel, and it is noticeably better than an open diff but doesn't hold a candle to the helical gear type.

Does anyone have any info or advance insights into whether the Gladiators' axles' innards will have innards that will be compatible with any other already-produced axle that one of the manufacturers may already have made a helical gear differential for?

Thanks
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Fantastic question - I have TruTrac’s F/R in my Scrambler & Love them, also have one in the rear of my Wagoneer. If I end up getting a non-Rubi JT, you can bet your A** I will be adding at least one in the rear axle - Assuming there is one that fits?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Have one in my JK, one of the best mods...

Anyway, do not know the answer regarding the new diffs and if a helical unit is avail....

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
We need info from JT drivers... Especially with the weirdness about which trim gets LSD etc.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
We need info from JT drivers... Especially with the weirdness about which trim gets LSD etc.
I'd rather hear from "The Professionals" -- There was a movie with that title, right ? :ontheloo: . . . ok, ok I'll google it !

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'd rather hear from "The Professionals" -- There was a movie with that title, right ? :ontheloo: . . . ok, ok I'll google it !
Hope you find an answer!

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I haven't found any Truetrac style options for the JL/JT with the exception of the 30 front in the std JL front. I've always loved Truetracs and they could be a great option in a less than hard core built JT. Eaton hasn't shown any interest in JL lockers so I'm guessing that Truetracs won't happen either.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Eaton hasn't shown any interest in JL lockers so I'm guessing that Truetracs won't happen either.
Sure hope they do, lots of non-rubicon JL’s & Jt’s out there!

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Sure hope they do, lots of non-rubicon JL’s & Jt’s out there!
I haven't found any Truetrac style options for the JL/JT with the exception of the 30 front in the std JL front. I've always loved Truetracs and they could be a great option in a less than hard core built JT. Eaton hasn't shown any interest in JL lockers so I'm guessing that Truetracs won't happen either.
Not even the off brands?

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope that something becomes available- in my opinion there is nothing that even comes close for something that works fine under ordinary conditions but also greatly contributes to traction when you really need the most possible traction.

Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I am ordering a gladiator 23b, sport base manual. the first mod will be regearing, getting an Eaton TrueTrack TorSen LSD or both. I want more torque than the stock 3.73 ratio... I don't think I can get the max tow on the manual.

Jeeps' Trac-Lok clutch pack lsd is $595... do y'all think its worth it? It does include better tires. I'm tempted to get it and use it for the life of the powertrain warranty. Thoughts?

I assume the stock open diff is easy to regear to a 4.56, 4.88 or 5.3. Does anybody know if it will be possible to regear the Trac-Lok?

I haven't found the answers to ^ searching online.
----------------------------------------------
I drive 10 minutes to work and back on pavement 5x/week... other than that I need a truck for driving on steep grass hills, dirt roads that become mud in the rain, powerline trails and mountain bike trails for maintainance and in snow on and off road.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I am ordering a gladiator 23b, sport base manual. the first mod will be regearing, getting an Eaton TrueTrack TorSen LSD or both. I want more torque than the stock 3.73 ratio... I don't think I can get the max tow on the manual.

Jeeps' Trac-Lok clutch pack lsd is $595... do y'all think its worth it? It does include better tires. I'm tempted to get it and use it for the life of the powertrain warranty. Thoughts?

I assume the stock open diff is easy to regear to a 4.56, 4.88 or 5.3. Does anybody know if it will be possible to regear the Trac-Lok?

I haven't found the answers to ^ searching online.
----------------------------------------------
I drive 10 minutes to work and back on pavement 5x/week... other than that I need a truck for driving on steep grass hills, dirt roads that become mud in the rain, powerline trails and mountain bike trails for maintainance and in snow on and off road.
The regear packages don't seem to mention it, but traditionally, D44 axles have had a carrier change between 3.73 and 4.10 axles. Time will tell.

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
Yes a carrier change, but if you are putting in a torsen/tru-trac that is the carrier. So done/done. I do believe I have seen a TruTrac for the Non-max tow Gladiator. For the MaxTow, assuming it has the same axle shafts as the Rubicon, they are 35 spline. I as far as I can find, the only diff for 35 spline axles are Electric or Air locker. From something I read, I believe it was on a gearing site, the Rubicon diff even has different bearings. It doesn't sound to me, however that it would be very difficult to build a version for the MaxTow. It should be just a change in spline count for the side gears, and maybe a different set of bearings. Or option "B" you could change the axle shafts to a lower spline count to match existing models. I would not want to do option B, that would give you weaker axles.
I have been looking. I really want torsen/tru-trac's, at least front, front and rear would be preferred.
Up to this point there couldn't have much demand. Anything that could use already had an electric locker. Couldn't have been much market. Now with the MaxTow, maybe..Maybe...MAYBE........MAYBE
Hopefully they are listening.

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do believe I have seen a TruTrac for the Non-max tow Gladiator.
Do you remember where you may have seen that? I have a JT Sport 6MT and I would really like a TrueTrac for the rear axle for it.

Thanks

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
Do you remember where you may have seen that? I have a JT Sport 6MT and I would really like a TrueTrac for the rear axle for it.

Thanks
Did some more research. I found a Dana 44 32 spline truetrac. Turns out it is for the m226 which is Nissan. Wish I knew what the difference is and why they will make one for Nissan and not for Jeep.
Sponsored