1,000 mile impressions

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
according to this guy, the break even point for ESS is about 7 seconds. Stopped any shorter and you should have left the engine run, longer than 7 seconds and you are saving fuel. I am getting the manual tranny and I am excited because ESS only engages if I take the truck out of gear and release the clutch. If I know its a short stop, I will just keep the clutch pushed in.

If i buy one I will just turn it off every drive or disconnect the hood closed sensor which disables it. I drive stick and do some coasting here in there and last thing Id want is my engine shutting off while coasting.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
If i buy one I will just turn it off every drive or disconnect the hood closed sensor which disables it. I drive stick and do some coasting here in there and last thing Id want is my engine shutting off while coasting.
It won't you would need to be moving at zero mph along with about 5 other factors before the ESS will shut off the engine. Lots of people hate the ESS without understanding how it works. I think the implantation sounds pretty well thought out, just waiting to see how the parts hold up over time.

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
I rented a van in France that was a manual with ESS. I had no issues driving in Paris Traffic with it and got use to it in the first 20 miles or so. If it saves a little bit of gas, great.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I believe that according to the jeep engineers the extra wear on the starter has been planned and accounted for. I do not like it just then it off when you start the engine.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
@turkeyboy do you have the hard top or soft top?

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
  • great visibility out front
How did you feel about the top of the windshield cutting off your view?

I'm only 5'-11", but long in the torso, so I generally have to put my seats all the way down in cars to have enough headroom.

I test drove a Sport S yesterday, and with the seat all the way down, I felt like it cut off the view. I'd have to crane down to see some lights if I were stopped at the line. Headroom was fine in that position though.

As an aside, I don't know how long legged guys can do it. I've got a short inseam, but the seat all the way back felt perfectly comfortable in terms of reaching pedals and wheel.

OP
OP

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR

I'm only 5'-11", but long in the torso, so I generally have to put my seats all the way down in cars to have enough headroom.

I test drove a Sport S yesterday, and with the seat all the way down, I felt like it cut off the view. I'd have to crane down to see some lights if I were stopped at the line. Headroom was fine in that position though.

As an aside, I don't know how long legged guys can do it. I've got a short inseam, but the seat all the way back felt perfectly comfortable in terms of reaching pedals and wheel.
I'm 6'0", and haven't noticed any visibility problems out the top. I ride with the seat all the way back. I do recall the first time I adjusted the seat, I had to lower it to make sure i didn't cut off the view of the top of the instrument panel. Next time I jump in my Frontier, i'll pay attention and see how much different it is.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
i drove a subaru that had ess i just had to turn it off it was just too weird for me i just want a vehicle to do what i make it do & when i make it do it without doing its own thing its like my colorado is an auto & it gives me the shits changing gears when i dont want it to

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT

Im 6'4" I have to duck down to see traffic lights, it is normally OK except for that.

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

I'm 6' with long legs (34" inseam) and have had this 'problem' with every vehicle I've ever driven, even with my Ridgeline that has a much larger windshield than the Gladiator (one could say minivan sized). After a few days you won't realize you're doing it anymore unless someone points it out to you.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My question to the guys having to duck to see the lights. Do you pull up until you feel you are almost flush with the stop line? Or do you pull up to where you can see the line just above your hood? Because back when I was learning to drive we were always told to stop where you can still see the line above the hood and everyone around here just seems to pile on the cross walks

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
My question to the guys having to duck to see the lights. Do you pull up until you feel you are almost flush with the stop line? Or do you pull up to where you can see the line just above your hood? Because back when I was learning to drive we were always told to stop where you can still see the line above the hood and everyone around here just seems to pile on the cross walks
I pull up to the line... I live in the city and don't crowd the crosswalk.
If im like 3 cars back I may be able to see the stoplight..

Side note, this is not an issue at all in my GTI, which is a fantastic car for tall people.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have never had the issue in the wife's JLU, but I also don't put the seat all the way back. I'm guessing it's just my seating position that it works for, since I'm 6'2 and about a 34" inseam I know I'm not the smallest guy here lol.
Sponsored