Sponsored

Bed rack/storage for kayaks

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
So I finally got to drive a Gladiator today and got to look at the bed and try and answer this nagging question.

In regards to the back rack, the aft most position on the trail rail is 4’6” from the inside edge of the front of the bed. The last 6” is used by the framing for the tailgate, etc. So in theory, with the Mopar cross bars (if/when they are available), would limit to <9’ kayak.

The other interesting thing is with the trail rail installed, Yakima style racks can’t mount to the bed since they clamp around the bed frame (unless the trail rails are removed).

3CC27FBF-C290-4D90-AB4B-B50A17F492D3.jpeg
Thank you for the info... and the picture I was waiting for!!!

So it’s perfect for smaller river kayaks with the entire bed available for equipment. But for longer sea kayaks, the hitch extension is available, but to free all the bed space the kayaks must be "jacked" over the roof height on higher bed bar support as discussed earlier...

Or maybe someone will come with a mod for the Mopar rack... but with a limit as I can’t really imagine a 14’ kayak with almost 9' outside of the bed!!!

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Thank you for the info... and the picture I was waiting for!!!

So it’s perfect for smaller river kayaks with the entire bed available for equipment. But for longer sea kayaks, the hitch extension is available, but to free all the bed space the kayaks must be "jacked" over the roof height on higher bed bar support as discussed earlier...

Or maybe someone will come with a mod for the Mopar rack... but with a limit as I can’t really imagine a 14’ kayak with almost 9' outside of the bed!!!
I can't see a a kayak longer than 9-10' attaching to the Mopar racks (or any rack that attached to the bed frame). You wouldn't want more that half the kayak hanging off the back of the rear attach point (be it bed rack, tailgate, bed extender, etc.), especially with longer/heavier kayaks.

MontanaJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Hello, I have not posted before, but really look forward to getting a gladiator. Got my vin yesterday. I was wondering about putting a light bar on the windshield ( tubular wrap around)and then having something like the diamondback deck in the back( truck bed) with its window protector as a kayak mount. I also fly fish and have a rod vault. I’m unsure if you can have weight on the front window light bar (tube ), I’m unsure with having something mounted statically from truck bed to front if there is movement between the cab and bed. Just seeing if there is an opinion on this type of setup. Thanks for all the information I have received already on these forums, excited as can be.

Sponsored

Redbullhamster

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 firecracker red gladiator Rubicon. 2008 JKU

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

JeepFoxhound

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So I don't have a kayak... but I just got home from a 9 hour drive. Was driving back from Maine. Everyone in Maine has a kayak... and a side-by-side... and a truck of some kind lol

I saw no less than 12 of these contraptions and variations thereof:
71w3MwZF3tL._SL1600_54685416.jpg

Some didn't even have that hitch thing. They were just strapped right onto the bed. Others I saw had like a platform that was attached to the bottom of the bed - so the kayak was still resting in the bed, but on something that leveled it so the straps would fit better.
Probably not the best transport mechanism... but it'd work..

Kinda overkill but I do like that trailer hitch contraption that's what i plan to do with my 14" Manta Ray

OP
OP
kayakmike

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

Sponsored

TheMission

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I can't see a a kayak longer than 9-10' attaching to the Mopar racks (or any rack that attached to the bed frame). You wouldn't want more that half the kayak hanging off the back of the rear attach point (be it bed rack, tailgate, bed extender, etc.), especially with longer/heavier kayaks.
I plan on using the cross rails modified with 6 ft long square tubing attached perpendicularly with J style kayak carriers bolted on for my ten foot kayaks.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have been playing with a low cost kayak for my jt. I made it from local materials from Lowe's i hope you like it. The way I made it you can very easily modify for bikes, deck or a basket. This does not have a quick release lever i have to source them still. I will post kayak carry tomorrow

IMG_20190719_165645.jpg

IMG_20190719_165657.jpg

IMG_20190719_165707.jpg

IMG_20190719_172237.jpg

IMG_20190719_181236.jpg

IMG_20190719_181243.jpg

IMG_20190719_181257.jpg

BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2 kayaks, 1 @ 10 ft and the other @ 14 ft. I’m hoping I can find something similar to what I had with my Tacoma...

tfi3MK2.jpg

eq4fmP9.jpg