First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Top right of each truck page has a link to the sticker for that vehicle. I am calling about that one Rubicon to see if they have made aftermarket mods to it. All the rest seem to have the "list price" equal the MSRP on the sticker then reduced by the discount.

I will let you know what they tell me about that Rubicon.

Aaron
OK, thanks on the window sticker, must have not paid attention: That said here is the MSRP on the Rubicon for $66k

MSRP TOTAL PRICE: * $59,090

WTH?!?!?! $6k diff in price

I just got the callback from the dealer on the $66K Rubicon. It has been aftermarket upgraded with a 2" lift and 35" wheels. Not sure if that is worth the $7K markup, possibly closer with labor costs and nicer tires. My estimate would be $1500 in hardware for the lift and another $1500 in tires plus $750 in labor to get it installed. The sales guy did not have any info on the lift other than it is a 2" lift, so I assume it would be the Mopar lift.

So they are putting a premium on the aftermarket stuff, but would not put it in the ballpark of "crooks". The dealers putting stock Rubicons on their lots for $20K over MSRP are the real crooks.

I definitely agree, not including information in the ad to justify the markup is a mistake.

Aaron
Common 2 in lift is springs, shocks and a couple of brackets, UNDER $500, MAYBE 3-4 hr labor MAX. Tires and wheels or just tires? You can buy 4 BFG 37x12:50x17 KM2's for under $1500 MSRP drive out, nothing there that adds up to that kind of mark up...
Sponsored

lucky7t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JK Rubicon 4dr, 15 JK Sport 4dr
OK, thanks on the window sticker, must have not paid attention: That said here is the MSRP on the Rubicon for $66k

MSRP TOTAL PRICE: * $59,090

WTH?!?!?! $6k diff in price

Common 2 in lift is springs, shocks and a couple of brackets, UNDER $500, MAYBE 3-4 hr labor MAX. Tires and wheels or just tires? You can buy 4 BFG 37x12:50x17 KM2's for under $1500 MSRP drive out, nothing there that adds up to that kind of mark up...
Mopar 2 inch lift is not $500. Its in the 1500 ballpark and labor should be around 500-800.

OP
OP

terrordbn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition, 2020 Jeep Granite Crystal Gladiator Launch Edition (on order)
Vehicle Showcase
MOPAR lift is $1495 according to https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/jeep-gladiator-mopar-2-lift-kit-is-now-available/

5 tires, so the $1500 is probably about right for a good set of 37's including install labor.

Labor is running $120-$150/hour nowadays at dealerships... So $750 would be about right for a lift install.

Aaron

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
MOPAR lift is $1495 according to https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/jeep-gladiator-mopar-2-lift-kit-is-now-available/

5 tires, so the $1500 is probably about right for a good set of 37's including install labor.

Labor is running $120-$150/hour nowadays at dealerships... So $750 would be about right for a lift install.

Aaron
If they put on the MOPAR lift kit, but $!500 is a lot of coin for a 2 in lift kit, not a lot of bang for your buck IMO...When I had my offroad shop I did not use any kits, I used only individual components...yea a few dollars more but far superior results. If you wanted a kit I would just send you to a sister shop. I used JKS Mfg, AEV, Rancho and some components I built (Track Arms that CURE Death Wobble)...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll let ya in on a secret. With tax (about 5% where I live), title, license, doc fee, Mopar 2” lift - installed - my LE is still less OTD than that Rubi’s $59k MSRP.

Want to know how that happened? Simple, buy from Kent in Nampa, ID., at Petersons Stampede.

Sponsored

OP
OP

terrordbn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition, 2020 Jeep Granite Crystal Gladiator Launch Edition (on order)
Vehicle Showcase
If they put on the MOPAR lift kit, but $!500 is a lot of coin for a 2 in lift kit, not a lot of bang for your buck IMO...When I had my offroad shop I did not use any kits, I used only individual components...yea a few dollars more but far superior results. If you wanted a kit I would just send you to a sister shop. I used JKS Mfg, AEV, Rancho and some components I built (Track Arms that CURE Death Wobble)...

Stopped by the dealership and got some shots of that more expensive Rubicon.

Aaron

20190523_201434.jpg
20190523_201449.jpg
20190523_201505.jpg
20190523_201543.jpg

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
When Jeep's fly?

FlyingJeep_Poster_1943-634x1024.jpg

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Okay so before we go ape sh*t jumping the gun calling a dealer a crook without reading the fine print let’s look at some facts ....
ADM with nothing added to a vehicle IS robbery.
Lots of dealers and shops overcharge for accessories or add ons charging suggested retail when you can find it cheaper online. However, I’ve seen so many people bitch about dealers adding fees or ADM just for sh*ts and giggles yet the first one to be pointed out for giving a discount that’s NOT 5% below invoice and everyone’s gonna start calling them crooks?
Facts;
Took one gladiator from their site (red one), listed all options invoice prices and that rubicon with 59090 msrp -3500 discount comes out to $105 over invoice. Not bad considering how many are charging over msrp right now.
Now adding $6k for 2” lift and 35” tires is way more than I would pay but remember suggested retail vs online prices.
The 35” toyo’s I’m gonna put on my JK are $288 on Walmart.com but most other places charge $350-400 each (x5 = $2000)

Personally I bought my current JK at that dealer and they dropped the price from $34k msrp to $30k. They do try to sell the nitrogen tire/paint sealant pkg but I told them I wouldn’t pay for that and they didn’t charge me. I was in there a while ago (last oil change) talking to sales manager about below invoice pricing. He told me he doesn’t sell by percentages but looks at what his cost is, holdbacks, and incentives. Even told me they don’t make their money on initial sale but on service and accessories. Look at most of the JL’s on their site and compare the sticker to invoice pricing. Some are 3% below, one I looked at came out to 7.5% below. Be a smart shopper and don’t generalize based on one modded vehicle on a website.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
At the end of the day, this Rubi is overpriced. Period. And I am talking about after the "Discount" price.

With no new control arms (brackets instead), and a plethora of other things, the Mopar lift is overpriced as it stands.

With 35's and that lift it should not cost more than an additional $3,500 (depending on the tires and wheels, although the dealership is not paying the $1,495 you mentioned for the lift earlier). Hell my 2.5" lift from Metalcloak (full control arms, new track bars, drag links, etc), new wheels and tires were less than $4,000.

To each their own, someone will probably buy it because they do no research and will see it is already lifted with 35's so they don't need to do that themselves.

I get where you are coming from Aaron, but this is a poor deal with sub-par lift components coupled with an attempt to "discount" a marked up Rubi. Again, it is what it is and we have seen this from all over the US. But this is not a deal by any means of the imagination, or worth it for that matter.

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Clever marketing. For folks that doesn't know any better they thought they get a discount from the ADM.

Sponsored

OP
OP

terrordbn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day, this Rubi is overpriced. Period. And I am talking about after the "Discount" price.

With no new control arms (brackets instead), and a plethora of other things, the Mopar lift is overpriced as it stands.

To each their own, someone will probably buy it because they do no research and will see it is already lifted with 35's so they don't need to do that themselves.

I get where you are coming from Aaron, but this is a poor deal with sub-par lift components coupled with an attempt to "discount" a marked up Rubi. Again, it is what it is and we have seen this from all over the US. But this is not a deal by any means of the imagination, or worth it for that matter.
I understand. But this is ONE modded Rubicon that they are asking a premium for the mods. The rest of Gladiators are marked at MSRP minus discount. It is not below invoice, but it is way better than a ADM charge over MSRP that we have been seeing from other dealerships. I thought this was a pretty good attempt by the dealership to do decent deals (not amazing deals like Tri-City) on the Gladiator to the "general" public. We enthusiasts spend 10 times as much time researching and competing dealerships against each other. Most vehicle buyers are not so diligent in their buying process. I give props to this dealership for not trying to completely rip those buyers.

Aaron

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I understand. But this is ONE modded Rubicon that they are asking a premium for the mods. The rest of Gladiators are marked at MSRP minus discount. It is not below invoice, but it is way better than a ADM charge over MSRP that we have been seeing from other dealerships. I thought this was a pretty good attempt by the dealership to do decent deals (not amazing deals like Tri-City) on the Gladiator to the "general" public. We enthusiasts spend 10 times as much time researching and competing dealerships against each other. Most vehicle buyers are not so diligent in their buying process. I give props to this dealership for not trying to completely rip those buyers.

Aaron
Meh.

I still see it as a bit shady. A premium was placed on both MSRP and the lift/tires (wheels look stock).

It is still overpriced, and i fully agree enthusiasts like ourselves to much more research. but even someone who isnt a big Jeep nut can simply look at this and do a 5 minute research on how much it all costs, and see where the dealer marked up the lift install as well as the base MSRP.

It is a simple marketing ploy. You are correct that we have seen MUCH worse, and this single vehicle is slightly better than the others.

I am not bashing the dealership. I am simply focusing on this specific vehicle, its price, and whether it is worth it. Nothing about the dealership itself. What I see is:
- Two markups placed on (three if you count the one for the lift as we all know the dealership is not paying what we would pay, they just bill us the price we would pay).
- The lift type and quality of it (sub-par and overpriced). I do however understand a non-Jeep person would never know this
- The "discount" that makes the consumer believe they are getting a good deal even though they are not.

It is what it is. That is the work of dealerships. I'm not mad, upset, or even surprised. The only thing I do is look and decide if it is worth it or not, why it is worth it (or not lol) and then move on.

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
Aaron, I'm guessing that you are a salesman at that dealership?