HAM or CB?

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I am studying to get my HAM license. What have y'all used on the trails? I am new to this and am looking into diving deep into the off road community. I heard that there is a large switch to HAM but what do you think?
Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
CBs are widely used for wheeling; they are required equipment for Jeep Jamborees. They will turn you away if you don't have one. ORV parks use them, they are really needed. But if you don't wheel, probably don't need one.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I personally have never seen a Ham setup anywhere I have off roaded. Now I have see some on big trail runs where were are out for a week or more with a lot of Jeepers. But this was basecamp stuff and only there in the event of a catastrophic event like some hurt. I have seen more Satellite fones than anything else when we do the remote stuff like Death Valley, Sonoran Desert into Mexico and the Sea of Cortez.

Before you load up a Ham rig on your Jeep better look hard and get info on ruggedized units. You want to "dive deep" in off roading, trust me there is a LOT of truth in what you say, you can expect to get WET, VERY WET. They dry river you crossed at about 7 am at 7 pm it's a raging torrent that will pick up you and your rig, then there is the DUST factor. You can drop a $1000 on good ham rig in a heartbeat. No need getting it wet or dusty.

My dad was a Ham and so is my wife, both have First Class license.

Dad took the FC License in Dallas at the FCC. They called him up and accused him of Cheating and said there were looking into 3 questions that he said were wrong and they would let him know. They brought him back to take the test again under the watch of 3 people patted him down make him remove every in his pockets.

Dad maxed the test again (different version) and found 2 questions that he said were incorrect answers. The FCC changed their versions of the test and called my dad in to review the tests.

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
Some clubs use CB's. Some clubs use Ham radios. And some clubs use GMRS/FRS radios. I know that just adds to the problem. Best thing to do is find a club that you want to run with, then buy accordingly. Some clubs do have loaner radios that can be used during run if you don't have one.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've had a Ham license for 20 years, but I've anyways used CB on the trails because it's cheap, easy, and more common.

OP
OP
bangolia

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Seems you can transmit on CB frequencies on some HAM radios.

Also that's awesome about your dad and the test. Thats thing is hard! I feel like I am getting an electrical engineering degree.

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
Seems you can transmit on CB frequencies on some HAM radios.
Not legally, and not with the radios normally installed in vehicles. Mobile radios are usually in a different frequency section vs CB. 148MHz or 440MHz vs 27MHz. Very different antennas needed as well.

I have both in my JK, but my area clubs still use CB. I wish more would switch to GMRS or ham, but CB doesn't require any license or test... Ham for offroading seems to be more of a thing out west, especially when out of cell reception but within range of radio repeaters.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Dad took the FC License in Dallas at the FCC. They called him up and accused him of Cheating and said there were looking into 3 questions that he said were wrong and they would let him know. They brought him back to take the test again under the watch of 3 people patted him down make him remove every in his pockets.

Dad maxed the test again (different version) and found 2 questions that he said were incorrect answers. The FCC changed their versions of the test and called my dad in to review the tests.
Did your Dad take his FCC license test before or after the fall of the Roman Empire? I got mine about 20 years ago and was none of that nonsense. You either passed or you did not.

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
You guys still not using UHF over there? It's all we use here, and radios etc are cheap, we can also buy good quality 5watt handhelds for those who don't want an in car radio and aerial

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Did your Dad take his FCC license test before or after the fall of the Roman Empire? I got mine about 20 years ago and was none of that nonsense. You either passed or you did not.
Before!

Around 1969-71! It could have been pass or fail, dunno, but that was not what I posted above. He maxed it and then told them they questions with incorrect answers...He took the test in Dallas.

Last edited:

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
You guys still not using UHF over there? It's all we use here, and radios etc are cheap, we can also buy good quality 5watt handhelds for those who don't want an in car radio and aerial
UHF without a repeater, and the repeater in a high location, is a complete and total dud if you are in terrain where there are significant topographic features in between sender and receiver. I have never been to your continent but I get the sense that in most locations you don't have a lot of steep/ high terrain.

Ham license here, Advanced, since about 1983. I've had both HF and VHF mobiles in several vehicles, and definitely want to install both in my JT (which I still need to order, want to get my FCA Ecodiesel refund for my Ram first)

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
"CB" in Australia is UHF FM. For us in the states, it's 27mhz AM. We do have a free public UHF band, but until 2017 was limited to 0.5 watt output. It was raised to 2W then, but most radios on the market are still the low power versions. Even with that, it only allows hand-held radios with fixed antennas... can't upgrade to a better antenna or use a vehicle antenna. Based on that, CB is still more popular. There is a licensed band, known as GMRS which shares some frequencies with FRS and can use up to 50W on some of them, along with external antennas and even repeaters, but it does require a license.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I use
HAM; because I know I can almost always get help in the remotest areas.

CB; because I get valid info from Truckers and a few other drivers when traveling on the interstates. I also use the P.A. to amplify my Turrets syndrome when I see city drivers doing stupid things behind the wheel. (I Love the P.A.)

GMRS; with my family when in the woods. Far better than any CB I've ever used with way smaller antennas.

Get your license for both HAM and GMRS as the GMRS repeaters are getting more popular.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Wow! I had no idea people even use hams and cbs anymore nor that it was a required piece! I guess I better look into hamming it up. Is that what you call it?
Sponsored