Anybody lightly optioning their JT

TxGladiator

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
So I have owned 8 jeeps-currently a 2014 JKU which will be traded for the JT if i pull the trigger. It seems many people are ordering loaded JT's or possibly its because initial offerings were built loaded. I'm planning on a lightly optioned rubicon without upgraded audio, leather , proximity etc to keep the price down..anyone else planning the same? Interested to hear thoughts-Thanks.
I purchased a Sport S lightly optioned.
I couldn’t justify the prices of some of the other options available on the Sport S from the dealer.
Their markup on tires,tint,bedliner etc is ridiculous.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Sport S Max Tow with a few options. $7,800 less than a comparable Rubicon, with 60% more payload and 9% more towing.

I can add axle lockers for a hell of a lot less than $7,800.

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
So I have owned 8 jeeps-currently a 2014 JKU which will be traded for the JT if i pull the trigger. It seems many people are ordering loaded JT's or possibly its because initial offerings were built loaded. I'm planning on a lightly optioned rubicon without upgraded audio, leather , proximity etc to keep the price down..anyone else planning the same? Interested to hear thoughts-Thanks.
Got mine ordered, Rubicon with super duper sound system, leather and some other doo dads for 53k, and I’ll be getting a great trade in for my current 2012 JKU Rubicon, not sure exactly how much yet, so it’s very doable. Reece Broussard at Northwest CDJ in Houston is the guy to see!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Sport S Max Tow with a few options. $7,800 less than a comparable Rubicon, with 60% more payload and 9% more towing.

I can add axle lockers for a hell of a lot less than $7,800.
(1535-1160)/1160=32%

Not sure where you're getting 60% from, but the sport s is definitely a sweet deal.

Yeah, I got a low option rubi. No trail cam, no body colored hard top and no tonneau cover.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
(1535-1160)/1160=32%

Not sure where you're getting 60% from, but the sport s is definitely a sweet deal.

Yeah, I got a low option rubi. No trail cam, no body colored hard top and no tonneau cover.
Because I was using a quick app to throw the numbers into (1,600 max for the Sport and 1,000 for most Rubicons I've seen) and the app apparently did really fuzzy math. 37.5% is actually more like it. Not sure where it got the 60% from either.

In any case, I'm very happy that Jeep offered the Max Towing package with a respectable payload number because that's the one thing that would have kept me from going with the Gladiator. I had a '13 Frontier with a lower payload, and once I put my family of 5 inside the truck, it left almost no room at all to haul anything or tow. It was either cargo, or people, but not both.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Because I was using a quick app to throw the numbers into (1,600 max for the Sport and 1,000 for most Rubicons I've seen) and the app apparently did really fuzzy math. 37.5% is actually more like it. Not sure where it got the 60% from either.

In any case, I'm very happy that Jeep offered the Max Towing package with a respectable payload number because that's the one thing that would have kept me from going with the Gladiator. I had a '13 Frontier with a lower payload, and once I put my family of 5 inside the truck, it left almost no room at all to haul anything or tow. It was either cargo, or people, but not both.
Max tow with auto trans is 1530 payload and Rubi with the same is 1160 (I looked them both up). With Manual trans they're 1600 and 1200 respectively (but towing is drastically reduced). Not sure where you're getting 1000 for the Rubi, maybe without the tow package?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
JT Rubicon
6MT
Hard top
Cold weather
Trailer tow
LEDs
Bumper upgrade (add Warn winch immediately)
Proximity entry
Aux switches

$49660 MSRP. Hoping for $45-46k out the door.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Whenever I feel ready to pursue a Gladiator I HOPE to do a lightly optioned purchase. The stupid package pricing makes every little bump seem justified. Want the remote start? its only $500 more for cold weather. Want the Alpine Audio? Its free if you get the $1500 8.4" screen. Or in my case, want the Molle back seats & backseat plugs... gotta bump to Overland/Rubicon.

I too have a JKU that does great, there are just little things I would prefer to get from the factory vs do myself so I keep talking myself up the upgrade chain.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
They really get you by requiring certain packages to get other ones. Invoice on my JTR with a lot of those creature comforts but no exterior options other than black hard top/mopar mesh bikini top my invoice comes just shy of 54K.
I"m not seeing how you can end up at $54k invoice without getting EVERY option. (Definitely not lightly optioned.) I've added everything but cosmetic options & safety packages and its $52k MSRP.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Max tow with auto trans is 1530 payload and Rubi with the same is 1160 (I looked them both up). With Manual trans they're 1600 and 1200 respectively (but towing is drastically reduced). Not sure where you're getting 1000 for the Rubi, maybe without the tow package?
I actually saw a Rubicon with 996 payload. It all depends on options, but regardless the numbers are pretty dismal for a pickup truck, in my opinion.

Sponsored

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Mine is 1148lbs

Loaded Rubicon

Deleted member 28696

I purchased my 2021 Rubicon JTR off the lot, it didn't come with proximity Key sensor, LIDAR, forward collision, Bed Outlet, Aux Switches. I asked what it was missing and the sales guy didn't tell me everything. If you don't have the LIDAR option, you don't have forward collision, & it will make your insurance slightly higher. At the time I was kind of upset that he didn't tell me it was missing that option when I asked.

I did add the 115v Bed Outlet later myself, not sure if I'll ever use it but it has it now, It has leather, 8" screen, bed liner, front and back cam & most of the other options. I don't have the portable blue tooth speaker and the locking under seat storage. All in all I don't really miss the other options. The Aux Switches I doubt I'll miss since I plan to add an S-POD when I get a KC light bar anyway. One caveat, a lot of these options are designed so that you can't easily add them later & your options are all tied to your VIN.

If I was going to lightly option a JT I'd just purchase the sport and trick it out. That being said I really like my Rubicon.

Rvalas

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
I purchased my 2021 Rubicon JTR off the lot, it didn't come with proximity Key sensor, LIDAR, forward collision, Bed Outlet, Aux Switches. I asked what it was missing and the sales guy didn't tell me everything. If you don't have the LIDAR option, you don't have forward collision, & it will make your insurance slightly higher. At the time I was kind of upset that he didn't tell me it was missing that option when I asked.

I did add the 115v Bed Outlet later myself, not sure if I'll ever use it but it has it now, It has leather, 8" screen, bed liner, front and back cam & most of the other options. I don't have the portable blue tooth speaker and the locking under seat storage. All in all I don't really miss the other options. The Aux Switches I doubt I'll miss since I plan to add an S-POD when I get a KC light bar anyway. One caveat, a lot of these options are designed so that you can't easily add them later & your options are all tied to your VIN.

If I was going to lightly option a JT I'd just purchase the sport and trick it out. That being said I really like my Rubicon.

I too Walked on the lot and made my purchase, it was as light as you can reasonably get the JTR,

AT
Hardtop

nothing else over the rubicon package. MSRP 49k
walked out 51k after TTL, gap, and the dealer wrap.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I would have gone lightly optioned but I got very lucky when I bought mine. They misprinted the price, forgetting to take off the old discount. Its the whole reason I went in that day. My jeep was several thousand cheaper than another nearly identical one. I got it for less than a sport s at the time. It was at the start of the pandemic and I think they were cool because im in healthcare.

JT57

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl , chevy, mazda
Rubicon
Auxiliary switches
Tow package
Diesel
Auto