Overlanding

iwantJT

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord
Looking to get into overlanding with the family and was wondering if the Sport S with LSD would be enough or am I better off with a Rubicon model?

I’ve never been camping or off-roading myself so this is all new to me. Im on the east coast if that makes a difference
Sponsored

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
Generally speaking, the people that need a Rubicon will know that they need it. Many may "want it", but very few will need it. Most folks that do the "overland" thing are fine with 4-high, rarely even needing 4-low. You'll be fine with a Sport + LSD... actually, the LSD will benefit you far more on wet and snowy roads. If you want to explore out west and get on the harder trails, then lockers can be a nice insurance policy, but most people will still be fine with a regular Sport.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I do all my trips overlanding, a rubicon is nice, I tend to over equip, I carry more fuel and water than most people, a light chain saw, axe, pick,shovel, recovery gear. I go deep in the desert or very remote areas i do not rock crawl but a lot of dirt track trails. I plan for trouble on all trips. I have gone as far 70 miles one way on trails so help is not always close. It is nice to have a few tools, parts and duct tape.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The lockers in the Rubicon are really there for an "off camber" situation meaning, one or more wheels are of the ground. eg. rock crawling. For daily driving and overlanding a LSD will be a much better option. So much so that I deliberately scratched the Rubicon off my list. The only reason I'd want a Rubicon is because of its creature comforts that simply aren't available in a Sport. This is the exact same thing I did with my current Wrangler (though I thought I needed a Rubicon back when I bought it.) The Sport will go 90% of the places a Rubicon will... and with some armor, a lift and a winch, it'll go 99% of the places.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I do all my trips overlanding, a rubicon is nice, I tend to over equip, I carry more fuel and water than most people, a light chain saw, axe, pick,shovel, recovery gear. I go deep in the desert or very remote areas i do not rock crawl but a lot of dirt track trails. I plan for trouble on all trips. I have gone as far 70 miles one way on trails so help is not always close. It is nice to have a few tools, parts and duct tape.
SAGE advice all!

Friend of mine had taken a long trail (170 mi IIRC) and at the half-day mark, he decided to turn around and go back. Not a hard trail, maybe rated 1-2. So he turns around and backs off the edge which due to some early rain was a bit slippery. He did not own a winch and as it was mostly a lone explorer and did not challenge anything beyond a 2 level. But in this case in spite of the fact he was off the trail less than 10 ft, but no lockers, no winch and only a rear LSD he could gain enough traction to climb up on the trail again... Luck was on his side and he had cell service. so 3 hrs later the wrecker shows up. At this point in the trail is was more of a dirt road than a trail, not challenging at all. Wrecker shows up and in LESS than 5 min he was back on the trail, the only damage was his wallet at $2500 on his MC. But a much wiser man as the first thing he did was to buy a winch when he got back.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
The lockers in the Rubicon are really there for an "off camber" situation meaning, one or more wheels are of the ground. eg. rock crawling. For daily driving and overlanding a LSD will be a much better option. So much so that I deliberately scratched the Rubicon off my list. The only reason I'd want a Rubicon is because of its creature comforts that simply aren't available in a Sport. This is the exact same thing I did with my current Wrangler (though I thought I needed a Rubicon back when I bought it.) The Sport will go 90% of the places a Rubicon will... and with some armor, a lift and a winch, it'll go 99% of the places.
NOT really. An LSD that sends the power to the wheel with the most traction MAY help you out, maybe...but in most circumstances, your best bet IF you can stay upright is a rope!

Lockers can get you into some VERY deep trouble. I was driving a side of the mountain trail that had not seen a Jeep in a LONG time, it was quite narrow and traction challenged so I have my lockers on. The right front wheel dropped into a washout in the weeds that had grown up since the last Jeep has passed that way. In an instant, the right front wheel dropped down into the washout it found enough traction to pick up the jeep and flip it upside down.

I woke up to the Jeep steering wheel on my chest and each breath was getting increasingly more and more difficult as the Jeep which was upside down and wedged in the washout. But the soft dirt was slowly giving way. I was lead Jeep and the guys behind me all stopped and got down into the washout and were able to lift the jeep enough that I could crawl out not sure how I crawled out I was in bad shape, bleeding from the nose, eyes, ears, I had been crushed. Angel Flight got me to a hospital where I managed to spend most of a week with Docs observing me trying to understand why nothing was broken other than the blood vessels in my eyeballs and nose and ears. BRUISED beyond all, in fact, I was a walking bruise, but not even a cracked RIB!

Damage to the Jeep: Broken windshield, covered by Ins...YES, that was ALL the damage.

FYI, I was following on a desert run and I saw the same thing happened to the lead Jeep in front of me when it dropped into a hole. We had gone off trail. Like me, a short wheelbase and no top on it, the 2 guys got thrown out. Jeep landed on its side, 2 guys got up, we all push it upright and continued to drive back on the trail. No damage!

Pic Below: This is a perfectly balanced Jeep, shows how far you can lean over and not go over...note the guy with the rope...

Image-65B8155E39C211DA.jpeg

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Looking to get into overlanding with the family and was wondering if the Sport S with LSD would be enough or am I better off with a Rubicon model?

I’ve never been camping or off-roading myself so this is all new to me. Im on the east coast if that makes a difference
Find your local Jeep/4x4 club and ride along with them on a trail run. Offer to bring beverages or food as compensation for their hospitality. You'd be surprised how many people do not do well when in a 4x4 even on a mellow trail. Being pitched over 15 degrees with blue sky one way and rocks the other can be more than a little unsettling for people, especially as passengers. Then realize that 15 degrees is mellow, and 30-40 will come into play when you hit serious trails.

If you're thinking that you'd never see yourself going anyplace where a 15 degree trail may be in the works, then you don't need a Rubicon. And if anyone in your family buries their heads between their knees while you're out on trail then you probably need to find a different idea for fun activities. :)
Sponsored