Sponsored

Midsize shootout review: Gladiator vs Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado (Autoblog)

OP
OP
relapsekg

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Why is it that the Nissan Frontier is never looked at with these kind of comparisons? Before the arrival of the JT, their biggest rival was(and might still be), as a fellow japanese manufacturer, the Toyota Tacoma. So it would fit right in with this comparison. It would be interesting to see a ranked comparison between the Rubicon JT, Nismo Frontier, TRO Tacoma, the Z71 GM vehicles (Colorado/Canyon) and whatever offroad package is offered on the Ford Ranger (if any). Of course we all know the JT likely cannot be beat in off-roading capability compared to it's rivals, but it would be interesting to me to see who the runner-ups are.
Probably because the frontier is 100 years old...
Sponsored

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
Just because the basic shape is from 2005 doens't mean they haven't continued to refine the internals. Just as an example, the 2019 model looks noticeably different inside compared to my 2006.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Thanks for the post. I wonder what can be done to reduce the road noise? Seems that is all they really complained about other than the price.
There are some upgrades to the carpet/padding that will help. Dynamat would make a big difference.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The ranger won by less than 2 points...highly subjective.

They were com-paining about the Gladiator bed depth...that’s one of the things I like about it. I don’t need a 2 foot deep bed that makes it impossible to reach into unless you’re 6-4. Plus the trucks can’t carry 3 tons of stuff anyway...

Yes it is more expensive but you get more and MSRP is just a starting point....

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I feel like I'm missing something. Jeep Build & Price on a Sport S (which is clearly what they tested) with the options they listed results in a MSRP of $47,200. How did they come up with a price of $51,115? Granted, it's still upper 40s vs lower 40s for the others as tested. But why add all of the options they did? To create an apples to apples comparison? If so, why didn't they add more off-road options to the others to avoid the caveat "you get more capability with the Gladiator out of the box"? The comparison just seems a bit 'off' to me.
Since they don't list the (as equipped) $500 headliner, There are probably some options included that they didn't weigh- it probably didn't have the base 5" radio (+$995) and maybe had the Alpine stereo (+1295)

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
There are a lot of little things to disagree with the Autoblog editors here, and I'm sure any of them could sway things by 3 points to put the Jeep out front. Mine include:
1. Bed depth- you can argue that one either way, so lets just skip it.
2. Price- Yes, the Gladiator costs more, but not $10k. More like $5

They lauded the powertrain, even though the Colorado has more Hp, weights less, also has an 8 speed and similar torque curve. The Ranger has been getting high marks for its class leading torque and 10speed.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Pretty sure the others were all priced/tested with 4wd.
They were, but the dinged the JT when they compared the price of the base models, which were 10-13k less, but 2wd too

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
They were, but the dinged the JT when they compared the price of the base models, which were 10-13k less, but 2wd too
Sure, but the as tested (supplied by FCA) was also $10k more.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Cost has nothing to do with "best", particularly when that "cost" includes items that are not even available on the "comparable" models. The only thing that closes the ability gap but still lacks many features is the Colorado ZR2 Bison and cost is then not a comparable.

Bed too shallow? Will it hold what the truck will carry? Yes it will, so it's not too shallow, and making it deeper will only add weight, and make the thing difficult to see over/out of like the Colorado.

When FCA produces a mid size pick up, without a removable roof, removable doors, folding windshield, in an aero designed 2wd econo box, then they will have something to compare.

Until then, they are comparing apples to pomegranates and complaining that pomegranates are more expensive.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Sure, but the as tested (supplied by FCA) was also $10k more.
But that;s not what they complained about. They gave the Gladiator a "loss" specifically because the base model was 10-13k more expensive than they other base models.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I notice a lot of people on this form like the Jeep for the removable top. Personally I will probably never remove the top and may not even remove the doors. I like the Jeep for the solid front axle and the boxy look. I also crossed my fingers that the bed would be low because I loathe the look of these trucks with really high beds because they look like spaceship cars. They may as well be a Ranchero for all I care. This will be my first Jeep. I have a 1996 F350 that is a rough son of a bitch but I love the utility of it. Before that I had a 1993 Mazda 4x4 with independent front suspension that eventually got chopped off for a Toyota straight axle.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I notice a lot of people on this form like the Jeep for the removable top.
\

Wow, how long has this been going on?!
Just pokin' fun . . .

I have a 1996 F350 that is a rough son of a bitch but I love the utility of it.
Same here with my '06 Suburban 2500 496" . . . so I get that

OP
OP
relapsekg

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
There are a lot of little things to disagree with the Autoblog editors here, and I'm sure any of them could sway things by 3 points to put the Jeep out front. Mine include:
1. Bed depth- you can argue that one either way, so lets just skip it.
2. Price- Yes, the Gladiator costs more, but not $10k. More like $5

They lauded the powertrain, even though the Colorado has more Hp, weights less, also has an 8 speed and similar torque curve. The Ranger has been getting high marks for its class leading torque and 10speed.
Recently I have seen a number of Ranger reviews that complain about the 10 speed, that is is gear hunting.
Sponsored