Sponsored

While waiting, check out and drool over this FJ45

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
I found it on eBay, it's not mine, I wish, but she's so fucking beautiful, makes me wanna cancel my JT and just pick her up today.
I've always been a huge fan of the 80s era FJ45s. I've never seen one this cherry in person. One day I'll have one in my collection.

hDwTcdV.jpg

nd62P7N.jpg

Kchz3rE.jpg
6pVIc1D.jpg

D1G8kv6.jpg
Sponsored

Big Red Gladiator

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra (gone... Just totaled it 4/22/19) Now a 2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited, RX350 (Wife's) and soon a Gladiator LE
Very Nice!
I was in the market for an FJ40 until the Gladiator came out this year. I was VERY close to getting a fully restored Red FJ40.
Now I'm waiting for my Firecracker Red LE. Should be here the day after Father's Day.

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
OH MY!

That's one beautiful truck!

Thanks for sharing!

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
That is nice. As an FJ40 owner I can attest to the durability and reliability of this now classic design.

However, I can also confirm, in no way do you want to drive this on a daily basis.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
That is nice. As an FJ40 owner I can attest to the durability and reliability of this now classic design.

However, I can also confirm, in no way do you want to drive this on a daily basis.
tell me more. Is it comfort? Power? Both?
I've been looking at the Icon builds for a little while and while I don't quite want to spend the kind of money they're asking for I really would love to have something similar.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
First one to get a pic of their JT 2020 in that exact location gets a plywood award

maxresdefault (1).jpg

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
tell me more. Is it comfort? Power? Both?
I've been looking at the Icon builds for a little while and while I don't quite want to spend the kind of money they're asking for I really would love to have something similar.
All the above. These are fantastic trucks and I have great memories with my sons and my FJ40 and (several) FJ60s. But while the design is now classic the technology is so antiquated making these equivalent to tractors.

Comfortable? Itā€™s as comfortable as riding on a short wheelbase vehicle sitting on 4 leaf springs with a suspension designed in the early 1960s will ever be... Very bouncy with sensitive steering makes it a handful to drive at speed and anything over 50-55 is challenging and risky.

Power? It basically has a tractor engine (reverse engineered Chevy straight 6). Low RPM but good torque. Itā€™s very low geared for off road. However extremely thirsty on fuel...good MPG is 13-14 MPGs (and thatā€™s downhill, 50 mph, with a 30 mph tail wind).

ICON is a completely different animal - it just looks like a FJ40/45. They use an Art Carr fully boxed chassis to their own specs (Toyota is C channel). Then they mate the chassis to a 4 link coil spring suspension (again their own specs) and Dynatrac axles. Of course the entire driveline is custom with GM V8, Atlas transfer cases, automatic transmission, etc. For the body tub, tailgate, windshield frame, grille, half-doors, and fenders they use Canadian sourced parts from Aqualu which are all aluminum (Toyota is all steel and notorious for rust). Thereā€™s a few OEM bits here and there like hood, headlight bezel and fender aprons...and if a hardtop is fitted thatā€™s all OEM including full doors...and the data plates too. This is why these are $100K trucks...completely reengineered.

Years ago I knew about ICON before they really made a name for themselves in the restomod segment. Loved Jonathan Wardā€™s design so much I copied it onto my own FJ40 that needed to be restored. My FJ40 also has an Aqualu tub, tailgate, and windshield but OEM everything else including hardtop, fenders, grille, chassis, and driveline. So itā€™s not stock and makes FJ40 purists cringe.

Mine will be going up for sale in a couple months. All the ICON looks without the six-figure price (even still it wonā€™t be cheap). Pics below (minus hardtop).

3679E24E-2F41-4072-A104-2251FB151668.png

7C76241E-C1E1-4804-98C6-FFEB3FE65596.png

7740F2E7-861F-44CE-AA17-F63FBDF0FBDD.png

36A0AC6F-46BF-4F37-9C60-55724789F676.png

5A3398B3-B073-40E1-98D7-79B23E7FCF0B.png

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@2020 SCRAMBLER that is a beauty. Please DM me when you're ready to part with her. Depending on timing I might be interested. I'm in OC so I can always meet up with you when you're in the vicinity.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I missed one out in Scottsdale when I lived out there. Reading the Sunday paper as I always did, an FJ40, one owner, every available option to include AC, To Settle the Estate of the Late John Doe $6000 cash only, runs and drives perfect, I called but it was gone by 7 am that morning.

Anyhow why it's so good is that its a reengineered Jeep, the very first one was built on a Jeep frame and driveline. Japs are great at reengineering.

Fj40 here in town for sale a couple of mo ago, 350/350 Chevy, clean no AC, mostly original, asking $6k BUT it needed a new bumper, grille, and hood as the owner hit a wall one late night coming home . NOT a body man, would have grabbed it if the engine would not run or something.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The Toyota 40 and 60 series were all I lived breathed for years.

Only the worst rust bucket and hack job engine swapped FJ40s are still in the 4 digit price range. Buyer beware...

An all original 40s with west coast style (modest) body rot and some patina are usually a $20K vehicle if not hacked up.

Just a good hardtop is $2-$3K for sides and roof cap...rust free doors (ha ha ha!) are $1K - each. To correctly replace all hardtop and window seals is another $750.

New OEM front fenders (again...ha ha ha finding such) are $1,000 each. Of course you can buy repro thin gauge metal fit like $h!t fenders for $200. Have fun trying to get repros to line up and fit (been there...done that).

Correct body off nut/bolt restorations start at $60K from reputable shops. Thereā€™s some nice stuff coming out of South American shops. Check out ā€œThe FJ Companyā€ for an idea.

Market has been flooded with partially restored Central and South American trucks which bring $20-$30K. Another buyer beware...these are often bondo mobiles as they were rode hard for years like the coffee plantation workhorse they were meant to be and then put up wet.

Then thereā€™s FJ45s which are always a premium to the FJ40s. Basket case non-running rust bucket 45s will fetch $12-$15s all day long IF you can find one.

My 40 has zero bondo on the tub (all new aluminum tub) with an extra hidden floor storage well and storage tailgate. Totally restored hardtop converted to early style hatchback. OEM fenders. Everything above chassis sandblasted to bare metal. Completely desmogged engine. Wheels arenā€™t stock but they are NLA (mimic ICON) with Goodyear Kevlar MTRs. Interior converted to black. Rhinoliner on interior...SEM color matched bedliner on underside. Forward facing rear seat w/ 5 point harness. Custom center console. Custom ICON-esque roll bar. Very custom rear tire carrier and jerry can / cooler carrier. New Bilstein shocks. LED headlights. Starts every time (dual batteries) and runs like a top. Every single receipt from the day I purchased it (and I refuse to add them up...LOL).

To put in perspective, my FJ40ā€™s ā€œyounger brotherā€, was an ā€˜84 FJ60 that was an all original survivor 99K mike truck. It brought $40K on BAT last year: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-15/

One can quickly find themselves in way over their head on a 40 restoration. The work is basic...the parts are scarce and expensive even if you stay OEM stock.
Sponsored