Overlanding, with or without trailer?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Do you think the m416 is better than the m101s? I need to read up m101a2, m1101, m416.......
Is the Jeep Rubicon better than Overland? Is a Prime Rib steak better bone in or bone out?

When it comes to the 1/4 T military Jeep Trailer, the better of the 3 (US 416/Canada Army M101) the Canadien is the better*. Reason why is the Canadiens made some practical improvements such as the movement/control handles on either side of the rear tub (see them in my pic above) they also added some reinforcements at some of the corners and etc, not much but incrases the strength of an already strong rig.

*drawback to the M101 Canada rig is metric 5 on 112mm bolt pattern, which I changed to 5 x 5.5 to match my Jeep. Cost $140 including new bearings.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Is that you cowboy?
Just a kid driving a M151C Jeep with M 416 trailer with a multi-million candle power, 90 amp searchlight for the purpose of lighting up the battlefield for the Infantry unit I was assigned to. AND YES that idea is as stupid as you think, running around on the killing fields with a friggin FLASHLIGHT at night by myself, now that takes a CRAZY person which is why I was an All-Army First Round Draft back in '67 to play in the Rice Bow: Hanoi Tech Vs Siagon U!

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just a kid driving a M151C Jeep with M 101 trailer with a multi-million candle power, 90 amp searchlight for the purpose of lighting up the battlefield for the Infantry unit I was assigned to. AND YES that idea is as stupid as you think, running around on the killing fields with a friggin FLASHLIGHT at night by myself, now that takes a CRAZY person which is why I was an All-Army First Round Draft back in '67 to play in the Rice Bow: Hanoi Tech Vs Siagon U!
Thank you for your craziness....... I mean service!

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
I have pulled a few trailers for the military, never in combat though. I still would never want to deal with having to manually maneuver a loaded trailer of any kind by myself on a narrow shelf road. Just seems too risky.
LOL that would have been a luxury...no roads or even trails as I backed that Jeep and trailer out of the Big Chinook along with a reinforced platoon of Infantry unassing setting up a perimeter, which I may or may not be in, most likely not as I was outside the wire somewhere between 25-50 meters in most cases...yea you really have to be young and dumb to do that.

Sometimes they would sling me in, usually, if I went in with a larger element like a Company

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Well, what do you consider overlanding? That will determine what you need.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
7457A778-8238-4A7C-8B9B-7D8F8B6409A7.jpeg
Ok @Red I gotta ask: what is this that I circled in yellow? Looks like some sort of a wheel. Never seen a bike rack like this one or the bike either. I can clearly see the pedals on it and the chain. But I don’t see the support thing that holds the bike upright? Is that what I have circled in blue or is that a motor in the blue circled area? And if that’s a motor then what holds it upright? Got me scratching my head on this one!

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I think if you could tolerate the additional width my unimog buddies highly recommend the M1101/1102 family of trailers. Designed to be compatible with the mil-spec H1 and offering an aluminum hull they can be very handy with high weight capacity of 3400lb and 4200lb respectively. The down side is almost 1500lb in tare/curb weight. For street use this would put you at 1900lb and 2700lb cargo capacity which depending on what and how you pack it can be a huge amount of stuff or one really luxurious camp for two. I’m thinking hot tub & sous vide combo. Your off highway capacity would probably be considerably higher but again, don’t want to run a’foul of the man.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
7457A778-8238-4A7C-8B9B-7D8F8B6409A7.jpeg
Ok @Red I gotta ask: what is this that I circled in yellow? Looks like some sort of a wheel. Never seen a bike rack like this one or the bike either. I can clearly see the pedals on it and the chain. But I don’t see the support thing that holds the bike upright? Is that what I have circled in blue or is that a motor in the blue circled area? And if that’s a motor then what holds it upright? Got me scratching my head on this one!
The lower bit in yellow looks like the pivot so you can fold the whole thing up when not in use. As for what holds the bikes up, those wheel troughs look mighty deep and the big in blue does look like it might be a bottom tube clamp.

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
i've watched a few of these Ronny Dahl 4wheeling australia videos and I liked this one about pros/cons to towing with a trailer.

then I found this site and about crapped my pants. Ronny's trailer is $47,000 Even if that's australian dollars, HOLY F*CK MATE! https://hiconsumption.com/2019/02/best-off-road-camper-trailers/

Anyways, maybe i'll win the lottery one day.....

What do you guys think about the overlanding with a trailer? What's your base trailer/cost?

Her is a cost effective option to build a trailer. This is the way I would go for a compact trailer.

https://www.dinoot.com/

Sponsored

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
++ Everything that’s been said above...

Plus if you leave your trailer disconnected back at a base camp you:
- have to return to hitch it back up
- open yourself up to dirtbags stealing your stuff

But the ease of already being pre-packed and ready to go and ability to take a lot of gear, water, and fuel makes it nice to have too.

If you have almost any open-top range of jeep or small SUV these are very handy and almost essential if you are packing for 3+ people or plan to be out for 1+ weeks. For a Gladiator, I don’t see how it makes sense.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
I wonder how these would compare to an m101.......
I built one a few years ago, and drug it cross-country twice... trails in a bit of Colorado, a bit of Utah, a bit of Wyoming, a bit of Arizona and a tiny bit of Virginia. Definitely did some stupid things with it, including the (in)famous Morrison Jeep Trail. It's held up fairly well, considering the abuse I've given it. Built the frame from scratch, added Timbren axle-less suspension (overrated), brakes, mud tires, Max-Coupler hitch and a big tent. I've seen comments that you can put the Dinoot bodies on a M416/M101 frame with only a little work, so I guess they're pretty comparable in that regard.

I only built the trailer because I had a 2-door JK Rubicon and didn't want to get a 4-door, but needed more space. Plus, I really hated putting a tent together in the cold. And who likes sleeping on top of snow and ice? So, the trailer was mostly for a tent and partially for extra cargo space. Which, I promptly used... more water and food, more tools, propane heater, 20lb propane tank, etc. The Dinoot body kit was cool, though. Very light.

I preferred to hit the trails without the trailer, but most of the time I'd be dragging it behind me because of my schedule... I would be camping in a different area and looping back around the mountain or canyon to get the trailer just wouldn't be feasible. Except that one day when I *really* wanted to run the Black Bear Pass... I dropped the trailer near the trailhead and used the Imogene Pass trail to loop back to Ouray to get it before moving on to the next stop.

With the ground clearance my trailer has, it'll go on a lot of hard trails but makes things a bit harder and limits what you can do. Work stuff is preventing me from being able to do any major trips for the next 1-2 years so I'm putting the trailer up for sale this summer and will be delaying my plans for a JT Rubicon until fall 2020 or 2021, but the trailer will be replaced by the JT for sure. My style doesn't need a big basecamp, and the JT will easily hold all of the gear I actually need and a decent roof-top tent.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
EVeryone has a different idea on what works, me I am an Army issue guy. A guy came to me with a set of plans and ask me to build this:

18022010425.jpg

08032010481.jpg

18032010509.jpeg

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
With three of us in the TJ I had to have a trailer for our trip from Louisiana to Alaska. They were/are expensive to buy so I built this one.

BFCEDCF0-7E3E-4B15-AD02-CFF452F877EF.jpeg
Sponsored