Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Sat down and had "the talk" with my wife this weekend. She keeps trying to say "no you're not" and I clarified that it's a 2 person conversation. In any old way, finances and other projects aside we don't have anything set aside for this purchase and had other planned expenses for our summer already. I'm going to sit it out and hope they come out with a Willys version, or Altitude, or something that lets me get what I want in a better package from the start. Also... aftermarket stuff will be in full swing by this time next year.

How many of you are still on the Gladiator wagon but waiting for another year+? Why are YOU waiting?
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
How many of you are still on the Gladiator wagon but waiting for another year+? Why are YOU waiting?
Main thing we’re waiting on is the diesel option, but I would Really like it if they come out with other trim combinations also. If I had to buy today I guess I would go with an Overland but I don’t care for the silver trim at all. Or the visible stitching on the inside, either.
I’d really prefer a SportS but with prox door locks & the big nav screen and LED’s

Last edited:

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Sat down and had "the talk" with my wife this weekend. She keeps trying to say "no you're not" and I clarified that it's a 2 person conversation. In any old way, finances and other projects aside we don't have anything set aside for this purchase and had other planned expenses for our summer already. I'm going to sit it out and hope they come out with a Willys version, or Altitude, or something that lets me get what I want in a better package from the start. Also... aftermarket stuff will be in full swing by this time next year.

I'm in the same boat. Don't have the money really to pay 800 plus a month for payments and my wife is reaming my a$$ about wanting a bigger family vehicle with third row seats (even though she's had two newish vehicles she's wanted and I've still got the same one) but hey family comes first I guess. So in the meantime I can just dream. Maybe in a few years like you said there will be better options trims ect

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
yep. still working on paying off a couple loans first, and then save for a better down payment. also hoping some of the bugs will be worked out by then. also "integrated brake controller" as pictured on the website will hopefully materialize by then. it's fun being an early adopter, but it does have it's pitfalls. test drove a newer used Tacoma, that got me thinking... but it's not what I "really want".

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
yep. still working on paying off a couple loans first, and then save for a better down payment. also hoping some of the bugs will be worked out by then. also "integrated brake controller" as pictured on the website will hopefully materialize by then. it's fun being an early adopter, but it does have it's pitfalls. test drove a newer used Tacoma, that got me thinking... but it's not what I "really want".
Less debt FTW, for sure. I've done different truck test drives for the past couple of years but keep coming back to preferring to drive my Jeep than jump back into a Tacoma. I too want that brake controller, and expect it to be done by next year. Also... the bumpers shouldn't be experiencing a shortage anymore (if that matters) and people will be figuring out how to overcome the weaknesses of whichever model they pick. Also... stupid tariffs that affect car sales may slow down sales enough to make dealers trying harder to sell their vehicles. *shrug*

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I’m in a unique position as well. For me the kink is liquidating my JKUR and satisfying my current loan. The longer I wait the less I owe and more I can plow into a down payment.

I too am being pressured to look at a 3rd row vehicle but the Durango can’t do what the Rubicon can. I’ve offered to add the 3rd row with belts to the Rubicon but it means NO luggage space which then demands a rack. Not that a gladiator solves any of this 3rd row business in the least.

I’m interested to see how the diesel performs overall for frugality's sake.

Overall I want a gladiator more than I need a gladiator and the comptroller is shading conversations with why not look at a 1/2 ton which kicked off a flurry of cross shopping that ultimately boils down to roughly the same money for only a bit more truck and a lot more size.

I’m willing to wait to see what happens.

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a dealer that will work with you on a lease, you can get an awesome lease payment on a Sport S. It's not for everyone, but it can help you get what you want for less.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Has she test driven one? Or a JL for that matter? That might help. I was in the same boat with my wife, then we test drove a JK and JL and she really gained appreciation for the difference and we ended up with the JT. Her first time driving it was in the open air and I think she really started to like the coolness in the truck!

Just think about how awesome summer vacations would be with the truck, especially in CO!!

IMG_20190601_154219_1.jpg

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Whenever I hear "my wife" in a sentence I cringe at the thought of another man surrendering his testicles.
Testicle-Lock-Box.jpg
You let me know how the ramen and hotdogs are. It’s not abdicating my decision making powers by including my wife, it’s called good business. I have to sleep next to her and if she’s not happy I’m not sleeping and if I’m not sleeping I’m not happy.

If I came home one day and said hey I just added 300 a month to my existing car payment because me Tarzan you Jane I’d better enjoy camping in my gladiator because I’d be a homeless mo’fo by the time dinner was done. Scratch that I’d be a broke homeless mo’fo unless I found a way to make up the difference to keep the budget moving in the black.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You let me know how the ramen and hotdogs are. It’s not abdicating my decision making powers by including my wife, it’s called good business. I have to sleep next to her and if she’s not happy I’m not sleeping and if I’m not sleeping I’m not happy.

If I came home one day and said hey I just added 300 a month to my existing car payment because me Tarzan you Jane I’d better enjoy camping in my gladiator because I’d be a homeless mo’fo by the time dinner was done. Scratch that I’d be a broke homeless mo’fo unless I found a way to make up the difference to keep the budget moving in the black.
This exactly. This isn't a whip cracking scenario, it's a partnership. If I had $40-50k laying around (and not in retirement accounts) then it'd be a different story, but I do have to fit a car payment into our budget when I make this choice. I'm fortunate to have only 1 financial obligation (the mortgage) so adding new monthly spending eats into fun money or retirement.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
This exactly. This isn't a whip cracking scenario, it's a partnership. If I had $40-50k laying around (and not in retirement accounts) then it'd be a different story, but I do have to fit a car payment into our budget when I make this choice. I'm fortunate to have only 1 financial obligation (the mortgage) so adding new monthly spending eats into fun money or retirement.
Sure...keep telling yourself that. I’m sure it’ll feel good every time you see a JT driving by knowing what a good boy you’ve been.

Now, go take out the garbage and make sure you clean your room and make the bed before leaving for work!

Geez, this is what things have devolved to I guess. Just don’t try to justify a lack of testosterone in your household. It makes the rest of us look bad!

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
I can relate to and respect both of these comments. Just a suggestion to further help - we just ordered and accepted delivery for last year my wife's life-long vehicle desire - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - 2 door loaded in white and she's a beauty (the Wrangler is too!). But seriously, it's a great vehicle - she loves it and now when the time comes for my vehicle - it will be smooth sailing....

IMG_2275 (002).jpeg

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.

Diesel...
Sponsored