Driving Line Overlanding Article

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I came across this article and thought I would see what you all thought. There are some really great thoughts on the article in the comments section. Basically, this kid thinks he is the second coming of Mark A. Smith without the willingness to grow or mentor the community. If you don't know who Mark A. Smith is look up Expediciones De Las Americas... you'll be happy you did.

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/do-it-for-the-gram-how-social-media-ruined-overlanding/
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is the kid is basically judging people for their reasons of getting into Overlanding. The problem with this is that even if people are getting into it for the wrong reasons they still promote the hobby/sport which helps it grow and thrive. Also just because you start for reason Y dosen't mean that you can come to like/love it for reason X as you grow in the hobby.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
It also assumes that anyone who doesn't grow up offroading on a budget is somehow less deserving of enjoying the hobby...

Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
The author comes across as pretentious and holier than thou in the article. I can understand some points but the narrative screams "look at me, I'm pompous! I am doing what nobody else has ever done. Follow me on Instagram! I am a trailblazer!" The Overlanding craze used to be off-reading, camping, and exploring for most of us and enjoyed for far longer than many of us have been alive but has gained huge popularity in the last decade for good reason. Vehicle based adventure travel is something a lot of us aspire towards with our families and yearly vacations and I see nothing wrong with it as its furthering the sport and getting more people interested and involved than ever before. The hope would be the more voices there are to fight back against the land grab and closures the better for everyone. I can see the flip side of the coin where the influx of people has also been harmful to the sport and becoming more boujee with each passing year, but you take it with a grain of salt. It wasn't long ago that there was a legitimate threat to BLM land closures nationwide because they were bigger with more representation than a small population of off-road enthusiasts. I was going to write a larger rebuttal, but the comments section on the article sums up my feelings pretty accurately.

Valicor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Commander
The comments section is the best part!
Thank you for this. I couldn't get through the first page of this "article" so I never saw the comments. Going back and reading them now gave me a good chuckle, one that I wouldn't have had if not for your simple comment. ;)

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I do have a strong gag reflex, but does get mine going. I do lot of overlanding, do all most all my own work, I do extensive preplanning. I try to pack out more than i pack in. I only want leave tracks behind me. ahh well I had better go before I get sick
Sponsored