Things I don’t like about my new Gladiator

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I agree with all the OP post points and ESS post, however I love my Gladiator so will live with it and fix/upgrade what I can myself. I had a 2019 Ram Limited truck with every bell & whistle that drove like smooth silk, but it was just another truck on the road that blended in with the rest. It was traded for the Gladiator and no regrets. The Gladiator is turning heads every time on the road and a conversation at every gas stop or parking lot. Cool factor and instant freedom when I want it, which wins IMO!
Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I bet FCA didn't do vented seats for the same reason they didn't do power seats, namely so they could boost the water fording depth by a couple inches...
That's what I assume. And cooled seats require ventilation holes which could be a problem in the rain.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I agree with the cooled seats. It should at the least be an option. I figured the overland model would have them standard. Jeep is being cheap
Probably really tough to make them waterproof...

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Im sure that I’m not the only person who dislikes a few things about my new Gladiator and heres my list so far. Overall I’m really liking it but there are things I wish were different about it, how about you?

#1. Its flighty at 55 mph and up. Much more so than my JKUR on 35’s. I dropped psi to 35 then 32 but its still the same, just drifts alot and requires constant focus to keep in the lane. New 35” Goodyear Duratracs on AEV wheels made no difference either.

#2. No tow mode or brake controller from the factory. Im sorry but both of these should be standard for a 60k truck that claims best in class towing. Tow mode really helps in my other vehicles when going downhill to keep from riding the brakes.

#3. Spongy ride. Overall it rides good, but its spongy in a way I cannot explain other than its what I would expect it to feel like if the frame were flexing although Im sure its not the case. I’m hoping an aftermarket 2.5” lift will help this but I also know it might just take some getting used to.

#4. No switch in the bed for the bed lights. Its annoying to have to go to the cab to turn them on when needed.

#5. Manual sliding back glass. This should be standard at this trim level, I could see it being manual in a sport but at 60k entry fee it sucks to have to lay the seat back to reach the back glass. And I’m 6’5”, you shorties will have to get out to open/close it.

#6. Side mirrors could stand to be a bit bigger, the visibility is not optimal but they are ok. Towing with them pretty much sucks.

#7. The 8.4 radio is glitchy. It has shut down and rebooted itself 3x in 500 miles. It will be going in for service next time it happens.

#8. I wish cooled seats were an option as I sit here in the carpool lane to pick up kids with the freedom panels and doors off. Leather feels like vinyl when you’re stuck to it. I absolutely love them in my F150 and prefer to use them with the windows down vs having the AC on.

Thats it, for now at least..
Tow mode is enabled automatically when you plug something into the 7 pin connector. A brake controller is also trivial to install, it's plug and play under the dash, so not a big deal imo.

I agree even compared to my jlur it feels spongy even if the ride is fairly nice. I expected more from the fox shocks. I have a clip on mirror for towing, I don't like stupid big mirrors for every day driving and they're fine when not towing. I'd like some retractable ones you could just push out for towing.

Sponsored

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
So you have a pic of mirrors you use when towing?

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
I can agree with most of your points and understand where you're coming from on the ones I don't agree with. The one that drives me nuts is the bed lights switch. Same thing with our last Ram. Come on FCA!!

That said, it's been a few years since I was in my 2010 JKUR and this thing is a massive improvement in almost every category. I can fix the things that really bother me and forget the rest. For now, I'm in the new love phase Hahaha

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
Im sure that I’m not the only person who dislikes a few things about my new Gladiator and heres my list so far. Overall I’m really liking it but there are things I wish were different about it, how about you?

#1. Its flighty at 55 mph and up. Much more so than my JKUR on 35’s. I dropped psi to 35 then 32 but its still the same, just drifts alot and requires constant focus to keep in the lane. New 35” Goodyear Duratracs on AEV wheels made no difference either.

#2. No tow mode or brake controller from the factory. Im sorry but both of these should be standard for a 60k truck that claims best in class towing. Tow mode really helps in my other vehicles when going downhill to keep from riding the brakes.

#3. Spongy ride. Overall it rides good, but its spongy in a way I cannot explain other than its what I would expect it to feel like if the frame were flexing although Im sure its not the case. I’m hoping an aftermarket 2.5” lift will help this but I also know it might just take some getting used to.

#4. No switch in the bed for the bed lights. Its annoying to have to go to the cab to turn them on when needed.

#5. Manual sliding back glass. This should be standard at this trim level, I could see it being manual in a sport but at 60k entry fee it sucks to have to lay the seat back to reach the back glass. And I’m 6’5”, you shorties will have to get out to open/close it.

#6. Side mirrors could stand to be a bit bigger, the visibility is not optimal but they are ok. Towing with them pretty much sucks.

#7. The 8.4 radio is glitchy. It has shut down and rebooted itself 3x in 500 miles. It will be going in for service next time it happens.

#8. I wish cooled seats were an option as I sit here in the carpool lane to pick up kids with the freedom panels and doors off. Leather feels like vinyl when you’re stuck to it. I absolutely love them in my F150 and prefer to use them with the windows down vs having the AC on.

All valid and well reasoned criticisms, I think. I drove a Rubicon at the dealer and I didn't feel any of the drifting or ride issues. I hope that's the case when I finally receive my JT. The bed light thing is going to drive me crazy. I'm going soft top only so the glass part won't bother me. The mirrors are my biggest concern. I made sure to get the BSM specifically because the mirrors are so terrible. My wife has the cooled seats in her Lexus and they're nice, but not a must have for me. I don't have them in my current vehicle, so I can't imagine I'll miss them much. I expect to throw the soft top up when parking it out in the sun for long periods of time and I generally try to find some shade as it is.

Still, I'm going to need to figure out a mirror solution for when I tow.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I expect they'll have aftermarket towing mirrors available soon.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Got the best and cheapy fix! My BMW Convertible had same issue(black leather too) so i got a set of "black wooden bead" car seat liners

...keeps my butt and back an inch above seat and a bonus of increasing circulation!

The antenna is an easy fix too...stubby all the way!
are those actually comfortable?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade

#1 I feel like I'm constantly make small adjustments to keep it straight

#5 I've had power sliding windows in my last 3 trucks and can't ever remember using it

#6 I've towed my boat and the size of the mirrors really didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, coming from a truck that had extendable tow mirrors

#7 Radio is glitchy especially when streaming using my phone over Bluetooth and android auto

#8 Cooled seats would have been nice

Here's a few of my thoughts...keep in mind, I'm a first-time Jeep owner so a few of these things were just unknown/unexpected. NONE of these items are a big deal, but I had been writing down a list of quirks that I expected to share on a thread popping up like this!
  • Satellite connectivity issues >>> I've had XM/Sirius radio in 3 vehicles now and for whatever reason, if I'm driving in an area of trees/foliage/hills, the stations cut out (I'm guessing it's due to there not being a 'sharkfin' style antenna that both of my other vehicles had). My other cars had coverage 99.9% of the time on all of these same roads I'm experiencing these new cut-outs and I'd say I have a few quick disruptions every time I drive to/from work (which is a 12-minute commute) to the point where I've said "WTF is going on with this connection?"
I agree with this 100%, I'm losing satellite connections where on my previous vehicles I didn't. I have no idea where the satellite antenna is on the Gladiator, on most vehicles its on the roof and obviously can't be there on the Gladiator. I'm wondering if it's internal somehow and that's causing the issue.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
#1 I feel like I'm constantly make small adjustments to keep it straight

#5 I've had power sliding windows in my last 3 trucks and can't ever remember using it

#6 I've towed my boat and the size of the mirrors really didn't bother me as much as I thought they would, coming from a truck that had extendable tow mirrors

#7 Radio is glitchy especially when streaming using my phone over Bluetooth and android auto

#8 Cooled seats would have been nice

I agree with this 100%, I'm losing satellite connections where on my previous vehicles I didn't. I have no idea where the satellite antenna is on the Gladiator, on most vehicles its on the roof and obviously can't be there on the Gladiator. I'm wondering if it's internal somehow and that's causing the issue.
On my jk it was located under the cloth on the top of the roll bar. I had to relocate it when I had an aftermarket soft top because the bunching of the fabric would result in little to no service.
Sponsored