Sponsored

Towing - Different trailer types and Drag

SCJeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1952 M38, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2015 F150
Vehicle Showcase
After doing some reading watching reviews on folks that have towed with the Gladiator I have developed some different approach to analyzing the tow rating of the Gladiator and the tow efficiency.

SAE J2807 gives all the parameters that the vehicle must meet to achieve the tow rating. This includes test conditions, trailer parameters, features that must be included on the vehicle, load out in the truck, etc.

What I have seen are some reports of folks towing, Jaloponik , TFL, etc and their fuel economy, opinions, etc. Everyone seems to be focused on the weight and that max #7650. It did NOT surprise me that TFL got what they did on their long range towing test. The trailer they are towing has a huge frontal area....i.e. DRAG. Towing a cargo trailer or camper that weighs 4500# is going to be very different than towing a car hauler with 4500# of weight, hence the very different fuel economy numbers.

Jaloponik reported 12.4MPG pulling ~6700# , with multiple adults, stuff, dog, cargo, etc.
TFL reported 8.5 MPG pulling ~4280#, with two adults.

What is the difference?!? The trailer that TFL is pulling has a HUGE frontal area increasing drag. Drag is exponential based upon the speed in which you are travelling, so the faster you go the more drag is going to increase. For example simply increasing speed from 65 mph to 70 mph is a 16% increase in drag for a given fixed area. Going on up to 75 (from 65) is a 33% increase in drag. Drag is extra load, more strain on the engine, etc.

What does this mean? For me this means I need to consider what I will be towing. I'm just going to be towing my boat which is much more efficient than a camper or cargo trailer. While my boat/trailer approaches 5000 lbs it has a much lower drag than a camper. Just consider what you are going to be towing before making the jump on the Gladiator. I like to use the guideline that I will only use 75-80% of the sticker capacity. If you want to tow big heavy loads you need a true 1/2 ton truck or even a 3/4 ton truck.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Towing non aerodynamic loads has the same effects on bigger trucks, which really don't start out getting much if any better fuel mileage. Point being aero unfriendly loads suck at all times.

I am confident that a Gladiator will be perfectly functional towing in the 4-5.5k area. Anyone who honestly believes that they are good @7k should not be bogarting the joint. It ain't happening.

Gladiator like all vehicles is a compromise, if the areas that it is strong in mitigate its other shortcomings for YOU than it is probably a good choice for YOU.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
D110BCD3-BF9A-4805-BE86-36BB8E612857.jpeg
Towed my 4500-5000lb boat and trailer just fine. Didn’t seem to overwhelm the truck at all. Speeds were from normal city driving up to 65mph. I think the test for me will be when I’m towing my 21’ v-nose snowmobile trailer and get hit with cross winds. I have a sway control hitch but will still be interesting coming from a full size truck.

Edit: Don’t think I would push it any higher for long distances.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
Been towing my 22’ Airstream across country with my JT Rubicon and tows great. Weighs about 4100#s dry, gets about 12-13mpg at 65mph. I have an anti-sway WD hitch which has helped a lot with heavy cross winds and constant stream of semis passing me.
Sponsored