bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Turbo didn't "blow up" their engine.
Driving it in a pre-ignition condition, driving it with low octane gas, driving it with an uncooperative ecu/tune "blew up" their engine.

Pro tip: if your tire is flat and you drive on it it will ruin it. Similarly if you drive /operate an engine with massive pre-ignition occurring you will ruin it.

Kinda not too sympathetic really.
Sponsored

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Fix It Again Tony ....The downward spiral of the jeep brand .

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Fix It Again Tony ....The downward spiral of the jeep brand .
Seriously, this is just a stupid comment on your part. Fiat came long after every mechanical component used in the JL/JT. Seriously dumb...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Seriously, this is just a stupid comment on your part. Fiat came long after every mechanical component used in the JL/JT. Seriously dumb...
not to mention the engine failed after much abuse, not FCAs fault.

Sponsored

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Is anything those two boneheads do intelligent? They were probably given the turbo for free (or were paid) to install it in exchange for free advertising.

Everything YouTubers do is for dramatic effect. It's all about amassing views on their channel in order to generate payments for their content...

They will probably make enough in views from blowing their engine to get a V8 engine swap and still pay the bills for a few months.
Yup! I refuse to click or watch anything similar to these videos.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looks like that is all you own...Fiats, i can see why your upset .

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
Looks like that is all you own...Fiats, i can see why your upset .
I've owned Kaiser-Willys jeeps, AMC jeeps, Chrysler Jeeps, and now an FCA jeep. Quality is fine.

Sponsored

Placebo12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
This is how I see it, Prodigy sells a turbo kit that has great hardware/fit and finish. According to the Lite Brite video, the tune is garbage and will pop your motor. They also couldn't get other tuners to get it to run right. Now whether or not the problem is because of the ECU causing issues or the kit being extremely hard to tune, I think the blame lies on Prodigy.

If they developed the kit with that aggressive of a tune/turbo, then its not reasonable for a high compression NA motor to last long. I've read through the prodigy thread on the JL site and prodigy claims the engine can stand up to 400whp but I don't think so. I think they were just chasing big numbers and tried to sell as many kits as they could before everything blew up in their face. I've seen a ton of smaller companies and tuners always claiming big numbers (higher than their competitors) and people love them at first but then a couple months or years down the line they end up having big issues.

I guess the lesson is, if you buy from a smaller company then there's a big risk you're taking. That's why I always end up waiting a couple of years to see how peoples builds last. If the smaller companies kit/tune holds up then great, if not theres always the big boys like Procharger, Magnusson, Edelbrock and others who pride themselves in selling OEM-like quality kits that will hold up to the test of time.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
1. They are Youtubers. They need some drama to gain followers and keep followers. This is how our society works. Soap Operas have become real life.

2. Anyone else find it odd how they constantly brag how great the tune company is then slam Prodigy but blame the tune???? Doesn't make much sense.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Yep. Need to use forged pistons if you're going to add boost. The 5.7L/6.4L Hemi's use Hypereutectic pistons. Not sure if the Pentastar does too but folks boosting them drop in forged pistons for a reason. Bottomline, if you're feeling lucky, add some boost to your ride and cross your fingers that you never throw a code.
I've been saying all along that the Pentastar was NOT designed for any kind of forced induction. Which is part and parcel to me waiting for the Ecoschnitzel.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I've been saying all along that the Pentastar was NOT designed for any kind of forced induction. Which is part and parcel to me waiting for the Ecoschnitzel.
3.6L Pentastar was designed from the ground up with direct injection and positive manifold pressure in mind. It absolutely was.

That said, taking a naturally aspirated version of the engine with a compression ratio north of 11:1, and adding manifold pressure in and of itself is a recipe for disaster.

Then rushing head first into the jaws of stupid, when the ecu tries to save their dumb ass, they reject that and flit about the countryside from tuner to tuner, all of whom fail and THEN not to be prevented from destroying their own engine through passive electronic parameter control, they take off with it and destroy it.

I'm sure they're good folks, they look like they enjoy their life, and I bet I would enjoy spending time with them, but that Prodigy unit didn't tear up their shit, they did. And if they keep on with this story line, I imagine they will get a letter from a lawyer or 3.

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
“We didn’t have time to install our gauges before we got the turbo installed.”

Instant gratification leads to engine failure.
Sponsored