Manual Towing

Jlavo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500, Mercedes E350
So i need a truck that can tow 5300lbs. I traded my manual rubicon in for a manual Tacoma TRD off road. (6400lbs capacity)

The tacoma ended up being a waste. The thing was terrible offroad. specifically i blew up three t-cases on the trail.
I wheel hard.

Never broke my jeep in 4 years.

a sport manual with 3.73 gears has a tow capacity of 4000lbs
a rubi manual with 4.1 gears has a tow capacity of 4500lbs

thats a 12% increase in towing with a .37 gearing increase.

4.56 is a .83 increase over 4.1 which is a 24% increase in tow capacity. which would be 5580lbs

4.88 gears would be even better.

will i die if i get the manual, regear it and tow more than 5300lbs?

This just ruined my day finding out the manual transmission is rated for 4,000 lbs. I was 100% going to buy one and get rid of 18' sierra that I purchased 8 months ago, but I need to tow 5,500 lbs.

I was soo excited, now depressed.
Sponsored

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
So I reached out to Jeep for an explanation as to why the JT manual has a lower tow capacity. Their response was clutch life. I asked. No safety issues just clutch life.
I figured that would possibly be it. There is also this:
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

With the auto Jeep can spec exactly what load/rpm they need to keep the package cool. With the manual...the manufacturers can't control what the operator will do.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Anyone know about how much it costs ( parts and labor ) to occasionally change a Jeep clutch? I’m thinking it might be worth it. I really want a manual

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Anyone know about how much it costs ( parts and labor ) to occasionally change a Jeep clutch? I’m thinking it might be worth it. I really want a manual
I've been hoping to find clutch options for the JL (assuming the JT is the same) but I can't find ANYTHING in the aftermarket!

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
After reading @avc8130's link, I have to wonder if it is infact possible to tow the same amount with the manual, with the understanding that performance would be less-optimal than with the automatic, as opposed to being in a situation where something might break. The number one issue that the article seemed to bring up as the limiting factor is sufficient component cooling.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
After reading @avc8130's link, I have to wonder if it is infact possible to tow the same amount with the manual, with the understanding that performance would be less-optimal than with the automatic, as opposed to being in a situation where something might break. The number one issue that the article seemed to bring up as the limiting factor is sufficient component cooling.

I am not an engineer but I think the limiting factor is the clutch. I think it’s possible to tow the same, do you like changing your clutch and machining your flywheel?

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
From what I saw, the limitation is less with the clutch as far as starting off, but slipping in gear- Just tow in 4th. Or re-gear to 4.88. 4.56 gears would be the same final drive as a JK-R in 6th. 4.88 would compensate for 35" tires.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Interesting. “ from what I saw...” from what you saw where?

I still really want a manual. 4500 pounds just might work for me but I might be dealing with a 600 pound tongue weight which is another issue altogether.

Currently, I’m using a V-8 Colorado with airbags on the springs. That’s a wonderful set up. Weight distribution hitches look interesting if downsizing to a Pentastar and softer springs but I’m guessing they are lousy off road.
Sponsored