Pulling a Camper

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
So, does anyone have a picture of the mysterious brake controller dongle that lives under the dash? I'm on the verge of ordering/buying a Sport S with Max Tow ( I tow an RV) and the dealerships I have dealt with have no clue on whether or not this exists. Obviously some of you guys have installed it, I'd just like a picture or two to show my dealership.

Why could't they be like every big truck maker (including Dodge) and include the mating pigtail so that any doubts about being able to plug n play install a brake controller are gone?
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Why could't they be like every big truck maker (including Dodge) and include the mating pigtail so that any doubts about being able to plug n play install a brake controller are gone?
Rush to production, most likely...

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2020 JTS
Occupation
Public Safety

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2020 JTS
Occupation
Public Safety
So what you are saying is: The trailer/tow package does not come with a brake adjuster package to activate the electric brakes on your trailer???

IF that is the case [and I assume it is by your and other statements] then someone at Jeep needs to lose their job. To say that I am disappointed would the understatement of the year...This is a 2020 model for the year 2020! This also tells me that most likely it does not have a 7 pin connector.

"7650 lb towing capacity"

I can see a class action lawsuit in the making for this one debacle.

Jeep beating the band and touting their tow/haul and no braking system...I gotta ask does the radio come with SPEAKERS???
Any trailer over a certain weight rating needs brakes, and electric brakes aren't the only way to slow a trailer down, though I will agree with anyone they are preferred. Surge brakes are another form of braking a trailer. Also from all of the pictures I have seen all of the JT's have a 4/7way connector on the rear bumper to the left of the license plate whether they had the a tow group or not.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So, does anyone have a picture of the mysterious brake controller dongle that lives under the dash? I'm on the verge of ordering/buying a Sport S with Max Tow ( I tow an RV) and the dealerships I have dealt with have no clue on whether or not this exists. Obviously some of you guys have installed it, I'd just like a picture or two to show my dealership.

Just look on the left side kick panel under the dash, it's right there. I plugged my brake controller in and have used it twice so far, no issues at all.

Here's a video of how to plug it in on a JL which is identical to the JT. In the video he removes the kick panel but that's not even necessary, if you stick your head under there you can see the plug and reach up and plug in the Tekonsha plug - that's what I did. The full install took less than 5 minutes, 4 of which was mounting the brake controller. It's honestly so simple there should be zero complaints, it's almost impossible to mess it up. If you can figure out how to plug a 3 pronged electrical plug into an outlet that's behind a couch, you can plug a brake controller into a JT. Honestly, if you can't figure this out, you shouldn't have a Jeep as you'll never be able to figure out the removable top and/or doors. Well maybe if you get the power top, but then I think hooking the actual trailer up to the JT is more difficult than installing the brake controller.

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
JHonestly, if you can't figure this out, you shouldn't have a Jeep as you'll never be able to figure out the removable top and/or doors. Well maybe if you get the power top, but then I think hooking the actual trailer up to the JT is more difficult than installing the brake controller.

Well, I wasn't seeking help/instructions on HOW to do it (wiring up a brake controller is pretty basic). I simply wanted to confirm the presence of the plug since none of the dealers (sales/service or parts) seemed to know what I was even talking about. I always prefer utilize existing harness/plugs to splicing if they are available. One of them went so far as to quote me nearly $500 to install a brake controller (which is laughable) since they too didn't properly comprehend what I was asking.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Well, I wasn't seeking help/instructions on HOW to do it (wiring up a brake controller is pretty basic). I simply wanted to confirm the presence of the plug since none of the dealers (sales/service or parts) seemed to know what I was even talking about. I always prefer utilize existing harness/plugs to splicing if they are available. One of them went so far as to quote me nearly $500 to install a brake controller (which is laughable) since they too didn't properly comprehend what I was asking.
Can confirm it's there and works. Don't pay anyone to do it, because whatever you'd pay them would be a waste of money.

originaldarin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S
Let me first state that I've pulled this trailer with a Silverado 1500, Grand Cherokee Overland, and a GMC Canyon. My initial impressions:

1) I can't tell if the engine is struggling or if it just sounds like it is when accelerating and climbing. Seems to red line through the first 4 gears, but calms down once I hit 40mph.

2) Suspension is surprisingly better than I expected. Its feels more like my Silverado than the others. There's the typical bounce if I hit a bump, but it settles back in quickly. Way better than the suspension in my Hemi v8 GC Overland, but still a little squishy.

3) It brakes well, especially for not having a controller. Controller is definitely needed though.

4) The camera is hands-down the best in the world and I like that I can use it while moving if I need to check the hitch connection. Plus, the bed is so low that I don't even see it in my rearview.

Overall, it does what it's supposed to do. It may take some time getting used to the secret automatic tow/haul mode and the freakishly loud rpms at times, but I'm satisfied. Like others have said, I feel that it performs correctly, but there's still just a strange sense that something's not exactly right. I need more time, but I figure I'll eventually track down any deficiencies.

20190627_192431.jpg

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Let me first state that I've pulled this trailer with a Silverado 1500, Grand Cherokee Overland, and a GMC Canyon. My initial impressions:

1) I can't tell if the engine is struggling or if it just sounds like it is when accelerating and climbing. Seems to red line through the first 4 gears, but calms down once I hit 40mph.

2) Suspension is surprisingly better than I expected. Its feels more like my Silverado than the others. There's the typical bounce if I hit a bump, but it settles back in quickly. Way better than the suspension in my Hemi v8 GC Overland, but still a little squishy.

3) It brakes well, especially for not having a controller. Controller is definitely needed though.

4) The camera is hands-down the best in the world and I like that I can use it while moving if I need to check the hitch connection. Plus, the bed is so low that I don't even see it in my rearview.

Overall, it does what it's supposed to do. It may take some time getting used to the secret automatic tow/haul mode and the freakishly loud rpms at times, but I'm satisfied. Like others have said, I feel that it performs correctly, but there's still just a strange sense that something's not exactly right. I need more time, but I figure I'll eventually track down any deficiencies.

20190627_192431.jpg
Can I ask the towed weight of the camper?

Thanks

Sponsored

originaldarin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S
Can I ask the towed weight of the camper?

Thanks
Hard to say exactly, since I load it up with a ton of stuff for different occasions. It's 2800lbs dry and usually another 1000 with stuff.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say exactly, since I load it up with a ton of stuff for different occasions. It's 2800lbs dry and usually another 1000 with stuff.
Do you have the max tow package? Or just the standard tow package? Looks like the drop on your ball mount looks to be more than necessary.

originaldarin

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S
Do you have the max tow package? Or just the standard tow package? Looks like the drop on your ball mount looks to be more than necessary.
No max tow since I don't own anything heavier than 4k. Yes, the 6" drop is a bit low... of course I have a 0",2",and 8" hitch, but not the 4" that I need. Also, I've never needed a distribution hitch on my other trucks, but it may make a huge difference on the JT if I had one. I'll take a little weight off the tongue when I get the right hitch setup. If I feel any difference, I'll re-post.

Rwpoling95

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Unlimited 20 Gladiator LE
Just installed my brake controller on the Gladiator, hooked up to my camper, and ran it down the road! Tracks nicely, brakes are working fine, nice low first gear to get things rolling! Highway speeds were good w/ this 5000# trailer hooked to it!

1CB3F5A3-F727-47AA-8324-84054489002B.jpeg

190FA1D0-B61D-4AAD-BA23-1B5CE1964ACA.jpeg

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just installed my brake controller on the Gladiator, hooked up to my camper, and ran it down the road! Tracks nicely, brakes are working fine, nice low first gear to get things rolling! Highway speeds were good w/ this 5000# trailer hooked to it!

1CB3F5A3-F727-47AA-8324-84054489002B.jpeg

190FA1D0-B61D-4AAD-BA23-1B5CE1964ACA.jpeg
How long/wide is your trailer? How is the visibility on the mirrors?
Sponsored