Trailer brake controller gone?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
So waiting might not be an option, but there has been confirmation that a factory (or maybe just mopar accessory) trailer brake controller is coming later this year. TFL confirmed this with Jeep.
...and it was in the pre-price builder..... something fishy
Sponsored

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2020 JTS
Occupation
Public Safety
For my JLU I went with the Hopkins Insight Trailer Brake controller, it comes with a black box that you place level along the left kick panel, a little digital screen and you stick on the dash somewhere, mine is stuck just below my drivers side right a/c vent, and the control I mounted just under my parking brake, easy to reach while driving, I will most likely do the same on my JT when I get one.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Good news is the elusive factory brake controller has appeared in the new brochure and says late availability...

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Good news is the elusive factory brake controller has appeared in the new brochure and says late availability...
The million-dollar question is what will it cost? And will it require dealer programming to interface properly with the Jeep?

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Based on other Mopar parts, I am sure it will be reasonable and doable but not until it actually gets a part number. That’s my million dollar question because at this point, according to every dealership and parts counter I can contact, this simply does not exist.

Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
What year Grand Cherokee? And are you certain it'll work on the JT? A brake controller is one of the first mods I actually need to do. I'm hoping to use the Redarc controller in the same position as the factory option on the dash.

Look at the redarc promaster brake controller. One of the best options on the market. Has a similar style footprint to the factory controller that they showed for the JT. It is a knob that comes out of the dash and a hidden controller. Take a look at their website. I am going this way as I feel it offers the best control and tuning for a controller, even Offroad, as well as easy to use and not an unsightly brick

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
Anyone have any new information on availability?

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Aftermarket seems better than stock as you lose the charge port in the dash with the factory option. Check out the Curt online. Similar look but you can mount anywhere you want and keep the charge port.

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
Aftermarket seems better than stock as you lose the charge port in the dash with the factory option. Check out the Curt online. Similar look but you can mount anywhere you want and keep the charge port.
How do you know that you will loose the charge port? Is there a picture showing where it will be located?

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
This all depends on your preferences and accessories. I don't remember the last time I had a use for a 12v socket, so I have no desire to keep it. I've used both aftermarket and factory integrated brake controllers in the past - to me a factory integrated controller looks a lot better and is generally easier to use. It's also possible it will interface with the Gladiator's control systems (e.g. sway control, traction control, etc.). I, for one, am waiting for the factory brake controller. Though I'm also waiting for Hydro Blue and not in a big hurry besides (I already have a Colorado).

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Another laughable update today:

Trailer brake controller part number 82215652 will not be available in December. (anybody surprised?)

“ Possible “ availability next February

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
With it coming and going in availability I am not sure I would want it. Seems to be a part Mopar has had difficulty with. Aftermarket is likely the better option.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I don’t think I would call it “coming and going “ though. It’s never actually been available. Just a bunch of untruthful crap from FCA. ‍♂
Sponsored