Ram new Diesel specs

Glady04

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
I have a diesel GC, and am switching to gas. 1) The regens are annoying if you don’t drive long distance. 2) The manual says change the oil every 8-10k, but with my driving patterns I’ve had to change at 5k intervals, which gets expensive. 3) Gas mileage isn’t much better in the city.

I do love the extra torque, and the sound, but doesn’t make since for me because I rarely drive long distance.
Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
So yeah, point being all of that will add more cost. Quite a few people are already sensitive to the price point on Gladiator, I'll not be surprised to see the final add on for diesel at +$5k or more.

Combine that with a lower tow rating because of "cooling?", and all of the reliability issues attendant with the Tier IV emissions packages, and I'll be surprised if they sell any meaningful quantities.

But who knows it may all be wonderful and cheap. I'll say after driving diesels from 1985ish to 2016, I won't be buying one again, because of the two factors I already mentioned.
I don't think at all that it is going to tip the scales at $5k or more. The diesel in my F 350 w/935 lbs of torque is just over a $9k option, this WAY more engine than what they are going to drop in a Jeep, for more complex and take a LOT of HD support packages to make it work. 450 or so lbs of torque is nothing in the gas or diesel world and the tech to support that is now commonplace. In addition not sure Jeep (assuming they are somewhat in touch with the buying base) will push the outer limits of cost to at or over $70k. My JT was around $63k ( I have since opted out of the order and am awaiting the diesel option).

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I don't think at all that it is going to tip the scales at $5k or more. The diesel in my F 350 w/935 lbs of torque is just over a $9k option, this WAY more engine than what they are going to drop in a Jeep, for more complex and take a LOT of HD support packages to make it work. 450 or so lbs of torque is nothing in the gas or diesel world and the tech to support that is now commonplace. In addition not sure Jeep (assuming they are somewhat in touch with the buying base) will push the outer limits of cost to at or over $70k. My JT was around $63k ( I have since opted out of the order and am awaiting the diesel option).
If price was dependent or based on HP/TQ which it isn't, you're talking 50% of what the Ford/Cummins/Duramax then it would be reasonable to equate cost @ 50% so $4-5k.

That upgraded transmission were talking about is what you elude to in other system upgrades, and those Tier IV emissions controls also add substantially to the cost.

I honestly can't imagine what you ordered for $63k, but I am believing that you were getting robbed with an MSRP+ price. I'd find me another dealer.

I guess a good measure would be how much premium the diesel comes at in a 1500 or GC?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I guess a good measure would be how much premium the diesel comes at in a 1500 or GC?
I would bet a crisp $1 bill that the Jeep upcharge will be more than the Ram upcharge.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I have a diesel GC, and am switching to gas. 1) The regens are annoying if you don’t drive long distance. 2) The manual says change the oil every 8-10k, but with my driving patterns I’ve had to change at 5k intervals, which gets expensive. 3) Gas mileage isn’t much better in the city.

I do love the extra torque, and the sound, but doesn’t make since for me because I rarely drive long distance.
Out of curiosity, what happens if you reach your destination and stop driving during a regen?

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I would bet a crisp $1 bill that the Jeep upcharge will be more than the Ram upcharge.
I wouldn't argue that, but I think it's reasonable to assume it won't be any less, so would at least provide a baseline measurement.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Out of curiosity, what happens if you reach your destination and stop driving during a regen?
Once or twice it's not an issue. But eventually the DPF gets 100% blocked and the jeep goes intonlimp mode until you go to the dealer and they force a regen. It hasn't happened to me yet though.
It'll complete a regen on the trail and in the city. It just takes longer, do you don't have to get to highway speeds.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant

I dont know what the v6 or v8 gas WK2s get, but ingest about 19 pure city driving. My wife's Chrysler Pacifica with the pentastar and 9 speed jets 17 city. So 2 more mpgs city is nice to me.
I agree the regens are the most annoying part, but the mpg, torque and sound are worth it for me

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Last ecoD. +4k in GX, +$4.5k in Ram both included transmission.

Today....F150 diesel upcharge is $4995. Chevys just announced new diesel is going for $2495..... kicking off price war IMO. Ram tbd....

Glady04

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont know what the v6 or v8 gas WK2s get, but ingest about 19 pure city driving. My wife's Chrysler Pacifica with the pentastar and 9 speed jets 17 city. So 2 more mpgs city is nice to me.
I agree the regens are the most annoying part, but the mpg, torque and sound are worth it for me
Right, I am with you. The price tag, and wait put the nail in the coffin.

Glady04

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have recently found you can do a regen in park. I usually open the hood (for heat), and put the pedal down, It will only rev to like 3500 RPMs, and it will finish the cycle. It smells bad, but works. Otherwise it will continue when you start driving again.
Sponsored