Sponsored

Do you think the $800 million fine will change or delay the Eco diesel further?

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Wow, that sucks. Hopefully you get it worked out. Would appreciate you posting up your ongoing results. For me, it's more like $6k back, because on top of the $3075, I'm gonna want my $3000 back for the 120k extended warranty I purchased for it as well.
Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

z06surfer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Have you noticed any negatives with the new flash? While I wouldn't mind a 3k check, I don't want it at the expense of stellar reliability that I've had with my 14 GCD. Some reports say it runs hotter, etc, just don't want any issues before I take the plunge.
Haven't noticed any negative effects, and I haul an enclosed dual-axle trailer in the mountains of NC weekly. I will say, having driven this GC since late 2013, that I do notice a small change in throttle positions to achieve the thrust I'm looking for. It's not necessarily a negative but in certain situations it does feel different. The change is small enough though that I imagine it won't take long to get used to. Turning off eco mode seems to bring it back to normal feeling.

Personally I think you'd be crazy to pass up the free 3 year warranty and 3k check. My def fluid sensor went bad after only 48k miles, I'm at 48.2k right now, and it was a $3,000 fix that got done for free. I rolled in to get the AEM done WITH that CEL on and they still fixed it for free since the AEM came with that warranty. The engine will last forever with proper care but the emissions systems in these diesels are so complicated to pass EPA standards that it's only a matter of time before something goes bad and when it does pretty much the entire emissions system is just stupid expensive to fix. The warranty it's under now is fully transferrable so I'm actually selling my GC. Sad as I am to see it go I can't pass up this opportunity for an easy flip.

z06surfer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Attachments

z06surfer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So took mine in Monday for the AEM. For some reason an 8AM appointment wasn't enough time to complete the upgrade so they put me in a rental. Picked up my GC yesterday (Tuesday).

This morning (Wednesday) I'm driving in to work and get a check engine light. My ScanGauge shows P2002 (Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1). Back to Jeep, and back in a rental (f**king minvan now so really not happy!). Still no update on a fix.
Make sure to keep documentation on all this. There's a clause in the consent decree that forces FCA to buy back your Jeep if it needs a certain amount of repairs and or time in the shop post install.

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Covers more than you'd think still. Here's what the tech left in my driver's seat post AEM install.
Make sure to keep documentation on all this. There's a clause in the consent decree that forces FCA to buy back your Jeep if it needs a certain amount of repairs and or time in the shop post install.
That's exactly the same list of components covered in the settlement forms I posted a link to. It's nowhere close a full vehicle warranty @NFRs2000NYC was thinking would get refunded.

Dealer never got back to me yesterday (Wed) so never even got a status update. I called this AM. Said he'd check and call me back in 5 minutes. Called back and said my vehicle was ready to go. Asked what they did to it. Oh, we did the recall software update. Reminded him they did that on Monday, I picked it up Tuesday, then left it with them again on Wednesday. Oh, let me get back to you...

Called me back at lunchtime (after they obviously finally started looking at my vehicle). Claim the regen cycle must not have completed correctly, so they ran another regen, drove it around the block, and said they'd do another drive around the block by close of business.

Not keeping this POS long enough to worry about a buyback. As soon as my Granite LE JT shows up, my EcoDiesel is gone.

EDIT: Dealer just did 2nd test drive. CEL came back on. Replacing the CAT and particulate filter sensor. $2500 in parts alone, but is covered under the recall warranty.

z06surfer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly the same list of components covered in the settlement forms I posted a link to. It's nowhere close a full vehicle warranty @NFRs2000NYC was thinking would get refunded.

Dealer never got back to me yesterday (Wed) so never even got a status update. I called this AM. Said he'd check and call me back in 5 minutes. Called back and said my vehicle was ready to go. Asked what they did to it. Oh, we did the recall software update. Reminded him they did that on Monday, I picked it up Tuesday, then left it with them again on Wednesday. Oh, let me get back to you...

Called me back at lunchtime (after they obviously finally started looking at my vehicle). Claim the regen cycle must not have completed correctly, so they ran another regen, drove it around the block, and said they'd do another drive around the block by close of business.

Not keeping this POS long enough to worry about a buyback. As soon as my Granite LE JT shows up, my EcoDiesel is gone.
I feel ya man. I was quoted that 3.8k repair before I knew we were getting free warranties. I was trading it in for sure just to drop it but at least now it's repaired and I got some time to sell it private.

Fan1983

First Name
Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Based on my reading, the diesel engine, no matter how "eco" they claim, is going to generate more harmful emissions (potentially carcinogenic) compared to the gasoline engine. I am not sure if you would want to have a diesel engine in an open-air vehicle.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

EDIT: Dealer just did 2nd test drive. CEL came back on. Replacing the CAT and particulate filter sensor. $2500 in parts alone, but is covered under the recall warranty.
Update: Almost two weeks later and still no Jeep. I guess the AEM must have exposed latent issues with the EcoDiesel exhaust system. CAT is backordered due to a recent surge in needs to replace them (dealer said they have a couple of vehicles waiting on the same part). Dealer said it could be weeks before they get the CAT in. Glad this is covered under warranty, but pissed this is turning into almost as much of a sh*t show as the JT LE launch.

lipsterc8

First Name
Michael Lipschu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda crv
Update: Almost two weeks later and still no Jeep. I guess the AEM must have exposed latent issues with the EcoDiesel exhaust system. CAT is backordered due to a recent surge in needs to replace them (dealer said they have a couple of vehicles waiting on the same part). Dealer said it could be weeks before they get the CAT in. Glad this is covered under warranty, but pissed this is turning into almost as much of a sh*t show as the JT LE launch.
So you decided to not wait for the diesel gladiator and opted to order the gas instead? reasons?

Sponsored

MeanMrWolf

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU "Hulk"
Doubt we ever see a diesel. It's been forever and too many restrictions. Electric and their Hybrids are the future and will kill off diesel within the next few years. The diesel in the JT tows less too. Just don't see the point in the premium for what you get. Jeep wants to commit to electric in 2020 with a wrangler hybrid. Heres some proof.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidk...omakers-are-dumping-diesel-cars/#49923d4765ec
I hope so, but then FCA has been talking up the BHEV powertrain on the wrangler for a few years, and now it's suspiciously quiet when the 2020 model year is approaching. BHEV haves some really compelling feature sets for the JL/JT.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'm kind of having a hard time understanding why people are chomping at the bit to get these problems in their Gladiators.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm kind of having a hard time understanding why people are chomping at the bit to get these problems in their Gladiators.
Because not all of our diesels have had problems. So far my ecodiesel has been good at 75K miles. Granted it is tuned. But I enjoy the fuel economy. I'm really wanting to see what the v6 with proper gearing and tuning gets MPG. IF it's acceptable to me, then I may cave and buy a gas. But range is my biggest reason for accepting the risk of getting a bad engine.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Because not all of our diesels have had problems. So far my ecodiesel has been good at 75K miles. Granted it is tuned. But I enjoy the fuel economy. I'm really wanting to see what the v6 with proper gearing and tuning gets MPG. IF it's acceptable to me, then I may cave and buy a gas. But range is my biggest reason for accepting the risk of getting a bad engine.
I absolutely understand the virtues of diesel and drove them for many years. The engines in question here I think are good engines but the federally mandated hokum that is strapped on them is not.

As far as the engine itself goes (these are the engines that had the cam gear problems early on right?) once the initial problems were ironed out they have been reliable and efficient.

That said it doesn't take "all of them" having problems before I throw a flag. Ford 6.7's have had massive problems with Bosch CP4 pumps, the people I know who have had problems are in the vast minority, but I know enough (6) who have had $7-10k repairs due to "fuel contamination", that I wouldn't buy one on a bet.
Sponsored