Sponsored

3.6L not direct injected?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hmmm, just heard that on Redline's review. Surprised no direct injection yet on the pentastar. Probably would have 15 more HP and a few better mpg. Guess they're waiting for the 3L straight 6 turbo for direct injection.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nope, no DI and none of the other over-engineered junk which is why the Pentastar is still a reliable engine that'll go forever. It's one of the big reasons I keep buying this engine in my vehicles. Excellent fuel efficiency, no carbon buildup, can run on any octane, awesome power, and lasts forever. FCA engineers were very wise to leave this engine simple.

Limamikemike

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Powerwagon
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hmmm, just heard that on Redline's review. Surprised no direct injection yet on the pentastar. Probably would have 15 more HP and a few better mpg. Guess they're waiting for the 3L straight 6 turbo for direct injection.
I'm going to wait for the ecodiesel, but I'll be hella choked if I buy and a couple months later they come out with a turbo straight six

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Rumors have been flying over that I-6 for a long time. But I'd be surprised if it happened.

Here's a snippet from Allpar:

"We were unable to confirm that the American brands would see this engine at all — indeed, we could not definitively say that a straight six was in the works at all, at least not for the near future. Still, straight sixes are inherently smoother than V6s, and have a bit of snob appeal, given their use by BMW and Mercedes; and the company needs a V6 producing V8 power, at lower cost than the current Ferrari solution and with higher output than the Pentastar-based Maserati mill."

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm still trying to figure out why supercharged V6s aren't in the mix

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I'm exceptionally fond of inline six engines but I do not see how you could ever fit one in the package of the relatively short engine bay of the JL/JT, unless it had silly-small cylinder bores and thus pointlessly small overall displacement.

Placebo12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

Jeep might be able to fit the inline 6 if they steal Mercedes' ideas. Jeep would be the king of the midsized truck segment if they managed to get the inline 6 and it’s hemi like power into the Gladiator.

Jeep already has the turbo 4, they could build the inline 6 on the same line. Replace the accessory belt with the E-Torque system, lower the bore, increase the stroke, and bam you have an inline 6 that fits in the same space the V6 does.

Last edited:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Don't hold your breath for it or the strait 6 . . . least not till mid cycle refresh in 5 years ! ? No, just my guesswork !

CAN I DO A SIDE NOTE / GRIP for a moment . . . this has been bugging me for a couple days now and more so today ! It all starts with Engine Options over at the JL Site, for the new 2020 JL's ! Lots of confusion, some speculating and some apparent Jeep-Factoids floating in the bowl on PRICES FOR & OPTIONS related to the 2.0L & the 3.6L -- with ESS or with eTorque or without eTorque verses the Manual and the 8-speed ? ? ? ESPECIALLY the NEW Pricing ! I just don't know how I feel about what the New Management shake-up is doing to the Decision Making here but I "smell a Rat" ! I'm truly getting Fed Up with the apparent B.S. Pricing and How or How Not we can or can't have our Jeeps . The Pricing, ugh, did I mention the INCREASES from the get-go & then the . . . . ugh . . . I just need to STOP . . . really, just stop before I work myself into a blood pressure crisis -- JEEP, IF YOUR LISTENING - I'M NO LONGER CONSIDERING ANY FORM OF JLU . . . AND IF YOU START F'ING WITH THE JT BUILD & PRICE IN A SIMILAR FASHION IN CY 2020 - I'LL BE "DONE THINKING ABOUT THE JT AS WELL ! I'll keep this WK2, shit can the ESS, put in a Dual Battery system and a few other OFF ROAD Goodies / damn the Warrantee and you can go F Yourselves . . . starting to make me sorry I even own a WK2 (even though I really do like its creature comforts . OK done . . . sorry :( :( :(

Hey jeep one more thing . . . this > :no: is for YOU !

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1929 Model A RPU, 1930 model A roadster, 1932 Ford 3 window coupe, 1952 HD FL, 1956 Chevy Wagon, 1969 Jeepster Commando, 2018 Dodge Charger Scat Pack,
Don't hold your breath for it or the strait 6 . . . least not till mid cycle refresh in 5 years ! ? No, just my guesswork !

CAN I DO A SIDE NOTE / GRIP for a moment . . . this has been bugging me for a couple days now and more so today ! It all starts with Engine Options over at the JL Site, for the new 2020 JL's ! Lots of confusion, some speculating and some apparent Jeep-Factoids floating in the bowl on PRICES FOR & OPTIONS related to the 2.0L & the 3.6L -- with ESS or with eTorque or without eTorque verses the Manual and the 8-speed ? ? ? ESPECIALLY the NEW Pricing ! I just don't know how I feel about what the New Management shake-up is doing to the Decision Making here but I "smell a Rat" ! I'm truly getting Fed Up with the apparent B.S. Pricing and How or How Not we can or can't have our Jeeps . The Pricing, ugh, did I mention the INCREASES from the get-go & then the . . . . ugh . . . I just need to STOP . . . really, just stop before I work myself into a blood pressure crisis -- JEEP, IF YOUR LISTENING - I'M NO LONGER CONSIDERING ANY FORM OF JLU . . . AND IF YOU START F'ING WITH THE JT BUILD & PRICE IN A SIMILAR FASHION IN CY 2020 - I'LL BE "DONE THINKING ABOUT THE JT AS WELL ! I'll keep this WK2, shit can the ESS, put in a Dual Battery system and a few other OFF ROAD Goodies / damn the Warrantee and you can go F Yourselves . . . starting to make me sorry I even own a WK2 (even though I really do like its creature comforts . OK done . . . sorry :( :( :(

Hey jeep one more thing . . . this > :no: is for YOU !
Well don’t hold anything back, tell us how you really feel...

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well don’t hold anything back, tell us how you really feel...
. . . hmm, well I would of, but like I said, it would probably "work me up" ! However, I'd sure like to see a few photos of your '69 Jeepster :like: ! Looks like, from your vehicle profile, a "well off" Collector of sorts -- and are you a beer breeding reverend ? :surprised:. Interesting !? Have you been following the "shenanigans" or because you already have your Glady-Con too much on cloud 9 enjoying it ? I'd enjoy my world a lot more if I wasn't concerned about the little things in life, like another $250 base price increase - please don't amuse me with "your take" on why it's a good thing . I've heard many of the stories before - like it will allow jeep to invest in better/bigger Plants etcetera . . . Too Bad they can't invest in Better Quality Control for their Vendors or Train & MOTIVATE Jeep plant employees to "do a better job" putting these things together :computerrage: :headbang: . There . . . I've given you a few What-ifs to amuse with . Those are just some of my deeply felt OPINIONS and they'll be MINE until things change - hopefully in a good way . Again, Sure would like to see that '69 Jeepster, bet @5JeepsAz would too . @steffen707 would probably figure a way to "Ply-it-up" ( a toast to the Plywood Generation ) ! Trying . . . really trying to stay positive and offer Jeep more of my hard earned money (JT Sport S in my near future?). :fist bump: :like:

ps; well in a weeks time I'll be pushing the Big Red Pause Button on my fly tying desk . . . heading to SW Montana for a "Long Respite-in-Heaven" :clap: :) . Gonna try to put "this" on the back burner till my return on Sept. "1st-ish" . Hope they don't mess things up more (at jeep world) while I'm "tuned out" ! ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
. . . hmm, well I would of, but like I said, it would probably "work me up" ! However, I'd sure like to see a few photos of your '69 Jeepster :like: ! Looks like, from your vehicle profile, a "well off" Collector of sorts -- and are you a beer breeding reverend ? :surprised:. Interesting !? Have you been following the "shenanigans" or because you already have your Glady-Con too much on cloud 9 enjoying it ? I'd enjoy my world a lot more if I wasn't concerned about the little things in life, like another $250 base price increase - please don't amuse me with "your take" on why it's a good thing . I've heard many of the stories before - like it will allow jeep to invest in better/bigger Plants etcetera . . . Too Bad they can't invest in Better Quality Control for their Vendors or Train & MOTIVATE Jeep plant employees to "do a better job" putting these things together :computerrage: :headbang: . There . . . I've given you a few What-ifs to amuse with . Those are just some of my deeply felt OPINIONS and they'll be MINE until things change - hopefully in a good way . Again, Sure would like to see that '69 Jeepster, bet @5JeepsAz would too . @steffen707 would probably figure a way to "Ply-it-up" ( a toast to the Plywood Generation ) ! Trying . . . really trying to stay positive and offer Jeep more of my hard earned money (JT Sport S in my near future?). :fist bump: :like:

ps; well in a weeks time I'll be pushing the Big Red Pause Button on my fly tying desk . . . heading to SW Montana for a "Long Respite-in-Heaven" :clap: :) . Gonna try to put "this" on the back burner till my return on Sept. "1st-ish" . Hope they don't mess things up more (at jeep world) while I'm "tuned out" ! ;)
Lou lighting it up! What's this about a price increase? Is that on JT? Will have to check that out. I know you are going to have a great trip. This rollout has stopped pissing me off; I'm in full study mode. wondering if this rollout is frustrating to jeep employees or if they are too focused on issues to see it. Interesting. The LE thing is a bad deal. Loyal first in jeep peeps not being first. Crazy! And don't get me started on ESS.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lou lighting it up! What's this about a price increase? Is that on JT? Will have to check that out. I know you are going to have a great trip. This rollout has stopped pissing me off; I'm in full study mode. wondering if this rollout is frustrating to jeep employees or if they are too focused on issues to see it. Interesting. The LE thing is a bad deal. Loyal first in jeep peeps not being first. Crazy! And don't get me started on ESS.
Hmm, it does kinda look like a Holiday Billboard ! Hi Guy . . . oops, sorry I mis-spoke about that Increase - didn't mean to alarm anyone; THAT is for the JL Guys for 2020 ! My angst must of let it slip out and I didn't catch it ! See I'm still sort of Cross Shopping (JT/JL) based on what will or won't be available by the time I'm ready to drive off the Dealer Lot ! But yea I''m really Pissed with JEEP and the crap they are pulling for 2020 on the JL's . . . that base price increase across the board, and then the Motor/tranny/ESS/BSG (eTorque) Fiasco ! I hope Jeep doesn't employ the same B.S. HERE (JT's) come CY 2020 (in 6 months). I could get angry enough to just keep the WK2, spend (only) about $5K making IT more off road worthy -- spend the other (saved) ~$25-$30K on ??? Apple Pie and French Vanilla Ice Cream ? ! You can find out the just of these things over at the JL site or the Mopar site .
ps; I'll send you (if I can via my iPAD (?) as a PM a few PICS if anything exciting happens in MT. ! :like:
edit / ps2; I agree with the members who do not prefer "INJECTION," . . . Fuel or any other ! ;)
This is one area where KISSing it is the simpler less castles down the road kind ! Coming from ME that's kinda strange cause on the other hand I've been really wanting to like (and prefer getting) the eTorque 3.6 -- which by the way will not be available for the 2020 JL's except for the Sahara -- one of the other ugly items I referred to .

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
DI comes with problems of it's own, specifically with carbon build up in the intake/intake valve due to crankcase ventilation.

Personally I prefer not to have GDI unless the crankcase ventilation is rerouted eternally, yes it makes more power, no I don't want to have the intake/cylinder head intake port cleaned.

Placebo12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
DI comes with problems of it's own, specifically with carbon build up in the intake/intake valve due to crankcase ventilation.

Personally I prefer not to have GDI unless the crankcase ventilation is rerouted eternally, yes it makes more power, no I don't want to have the intake/cylinder head intake port cleaned.

I have an ecoboost Mustang with just the direct injection. They moved to a combo of direct and port injection in 2017/2018. Carbon build up was an issue I was worried about so I installed a UPR dual valve catch can. It honestly collects a lot more oil than I thought it would. I probably collected about 16oz over 20k miles. The exhaust tips also get super sooty from the carbon.

Jeep might go direct injection in new engines for CAFE reasons but it would be nice if they made it DI/PI so that the port system could still clean off the intake valves and make it so you don’t have to ever walnut blast

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have an ecoboost Mustang with just the direct injection. They moved to a combo of direct and port injection in 2017/2018. Carbon build up was an issue I was worried about so I installed a UPR dual valve catch can. It honestly collects a lot more oil than I thought it would. I probably collected about 16oz over 20k miles. The exhaust tips also get super sooty from the carbon.

Jeep might go direct injection in new engines for CAFE reasons but it would be nice if they made it DI/PI so that the port system could still clean off the intake valves and make it so you don’t have to ever walnut blast
Worth noting that "catch cans" will not pass emissions tests in many if not most locales.

High revving relatively "loose" engines (by design and necessity) will have in some cases considerable crankcase pressure, and will aspirate a not insignificant amount of engine oil which will carbonized in the intake/intake port area disrupting air flow, reducing horsepower and in some cases intake valve failure.

My personal opinion is that the gains with GDI are not significant enough over port injection to make it worth the hassle. A hybrid design like in the EB mitigates the carbon problem at the cost of additional complexity.

I'd like to see FCA stay with port injection, reduce compression ratios, and add forced induction to make some more power. Couple to the existing 870RE and you'll have something.
Sponsored