Sponsored

Dropped a plastic clip in the hood

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
So, while I was installing the dirty acres grille insert, I accidentally dropped one of those plastic clips that hold the front grille down (the snap on clips) somewhere near the intake opening? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it - so will this do some damage if it gets into the intake or anywhere else or should I try to dismantle the nearby parts to look for it or let it go?

I will be removing a bunch of those things around the battery when I am installing the genesis dual battery kit so I could look for it then.

Has anyone done this? LOL
Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
If it gets sucked into the intake, your air filter will stop it. Might rattle around some, but I doubt it would damage it. If it fell into the engine compartment, most likely it will work its way out without any damage being that far forward.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
If it gets sucked into the intake, your air filter will stop it. Might rattle around some, but I doubt it would damage it. If it fell into the engine compartment, most likely it will work its way out without any damage being that far forward.
I agree

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
So, while I was installing the dirty acres grille insert, I accidentally dropped one of those plastic clips that hold the front grille down (the snap on clips) somewhere near the intake opening? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it - so will this do some damage if it gets into the intake or anywhere else or should I try to dismantle the nearby parts to look for it or let it go?

I will be removing a bunch of those things around the battery when I am installing the genesis dual battery kit so I could look for it then.

I've taken my grille off twice now, and both times dropped one of those clips. Luckily each time they found their way to the ground. I'd be surprised if it hopped into the air intake. That's almost flush with the hood. I'm temped to buy a bag of these because I know over time I'm going to lose them or wear them out.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Forget it and move on, it won't make it past the air filter no matter what. If it gets into any rotating bits on the outside of the engine, they will digest it. Any auto parts store will have them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forget it and move on, it won't make it past the air filter no matter what. If it gets into any rotating bits on the outside of the engine, they will digest it. Any auto parts store will have them.
Yeah, I plan on buying a few too @JT614 ... Plus, when I install my winch I noticed I can reuse some of those clips from the front bumper too... Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it!

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've taken my grille off twice now, and both times dropped one of those clips. Luckily each time they found their way to the ground. I'd be surprised if it hopped into the air intake. That's almost flush with the hood. I'm temped to buy a bag of these because I know over time I'm going to lose them or wear them out.
Yeah, what happened was it bounced off my hand into the opening LOL. I tried to grab it but it ricocheted in there I believe :headbang:

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Did you take any pictures!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean of the grill insert :blush:
LOL Sorry, I was being rather dumb there haha...

I didn't end up installing it yet, because it is not as straightforward as their video said and we have to remove a couple more bolts possibly they are collision sensors beside the camera in the LE? They look like horns... I figured I would do it over the weekend along with the 67 designs iPhone rail mount...

But, this is the grille insert:

Grille Insert.jpg

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL Sorry, I was being rather dumb there haha...

I didn't end up installing it yet, because it is not as straightforward as their video said and we have to remove a couple more bolts possibly they are collision sensors beside the camera in the LE? They look like horns... I figured I would do it over the weekend along with the 67 designs iPhone rail mount...

But, this is the grille insert:

Grille Insert.jpg
The collision sensors are in the upper portion of the windshield, right in the center, behind the rear view mirror... if equipped...

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The collision sensors are in the upper portion of the windshield, right in the center, behind the rear view mirror... if equipped...
hmm, in that case they must be horns (I'll take a pic later)? You are prolly a good guy to ask this question - do you know of a service manual that is the best available for the JT that shows what is what under the hood and explains the different parts? Too early for a Chilton? I would love to have a diagram of under the hood explaining all the different parts - I can understand few main things but something that depicts them all would be nice. Maybe there is a Chrysler service manual?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm, in that case they must be horns (I'll take a pic later)? You are prolly a good guy to ask this question - do you know of a service manual that is the best available for the JT that shows what is what under the hood and explains the different parts? Too early for a Chilton? I would love to have a diagram of under the hood explaining all the different parts - I can understand few main things but something that depicts them all would be nice. Maybe there is a Chrysler service manual?
Yea I doubt there is a third party one available.
Sponsored