BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Ummm, this is amazing! What do you do for a living that you've got all this equipment?
Haha, I design and manufacture accessories for Ford trucks (possibly adding Jeeps...)!
Matt this looks great! I like the style of the rack and the adaptability of accessories on the side. What is the height between the bottom of the rack and the bed? Oh and I sent you a PM by the way.
Got your PM! Bottom of the rack to the bed rails is exactly 6", which I believe makes the measurement to the bed around 23.5". All subject to adjustment though. I'm curious - to fit something specific?
Great work, Matt! I'm excited to see what else you come up with. I'm particularly interested in the PALS/MOLLE plates you've come up with for the bed. Especially something that ties into the trail rail system.

I mean, who doesn't have a plasma cutter?
Thank you! The Bedside Rack panels are coming together quickly. I'll try to put an update together here in a bit!

Matt
Sponsored

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Alright, I think I mentioned them in this thread, or maybe it was another, but I design and manufacture these 'Bedside Rack' panels for the Ford platform. We've finally got a full utility patent pending review, so I'm excited to explore the idea of expanding that product line. At the very least, I know I want a set for me own truck. :devil:
nc_oc=AQkZqHHyo1hV_uwNG2o_nFESYiXbME9ZyzXx_pbm3N4h4rbbvGitXCbN1pDMB0DVlMk&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

I threw together an embarrassingly rough 3D model of the contours in the bed and got to work after work one night last week. My JT doesnt have the trail rail system (although I pre-ordered the mopar kit, which will hopefully arrive soon) so I made them interface with the threaded features in the bed. Once I've got the rails, I'll revise and maybe make some adapters so they'll work for both. Anyway, to verify my model, I cut a test panel from thin aluminum and bent it up.
sAprUPy.jpg

Made a couple of quick adjustments and frantically sketched up a full panel to test out. From there, I 'flatten' the part in CAD, export a DXF file and bring it into a program called sheetcam, where I can generate the gcode for the plasma table. In this case, we're cutting the prototypes from 11ga mild steel.
oXNbh6J.jpg

Then into a program called commandcnc, which is what actually drives the table. As you can see, I decided to live a little and cut driver and passenger side simultaneously.
BNXs2Ju.jpg

Lots of cut time on the plasma table, but it went smoothly. My table has automatic torch height control, so as the plate deforms with the heat of cutting, the torch head maintains a proper distance and keeps the cut clean.
0SCx7gs.jpg

I didn't snap a picture of the least pleasant part, which is deburring the parts and cleaning them up, but these cut pretty well, so it didn't take much. Went ahead and bent them up using our little SWAG offroad finger break. This picture shows the cut quality we're getting from this Starlab table - pretty impressive for a plasma cutter.
rUT69SY.jpg

Finally, shot it with some paint and let it cook in the driveway before installing.
VTvtzwh.jpg

I finished the other side as well as some front panels and got them installed and attached some gear. I'll put some miles on them to make sure everything is good, but I'm super, super happy with how they turned out. This post juuuust might be the unofficial introduction of our first product for the JT platform. I'm excited to revise them for the trail rail system and refine the lower mounting point a bit, but for a first revision, these are super close. I took some 'installed' photos this afternoon, so I'll pull those off of my camera tonight.

Look out for a thread dedicated to the development of these in the next 24-48hrs. Probably in general discussion. I'd really love to get feedback and input from the group before we finalize anything. Now accepting submissions for a Jeep-worthy eastern egg to hide in here somewhere.

Matt

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Look out for a thread dedicated to the development of these in the next 24-48hrs. Probably in general discussion. I'd really love to get feedback and input from the group before we finalize anything. Now accepting submissions for a Jeep-worthy eastern egg to hide in here somewhere.
More parts, more parts! these panels are sweet.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Alright, I think I mentioned them in this thread, or maybe it was another, but I design and manufacture these 'Bedside Rack' panels for the Ford platform. We've finally got a full utility patent pending review, so I'm excited to explore the idea of expanding that product line. At the very least, I know I want a set for me own truck. :devil:
nc_oc=AQkZqHHyo1hV_uwNG2o_nFESYiXbME9ZyzXx_pbm3N4h4rbbvGitXCbN1pDMB0DVlMk&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

I threw together an embarrassingly rough 3D model of the contours in the bed and got to work after work one night last week. My JT doesnt have the trail rail system (although I pre-ordered the mopar kit, which will hopefully arrive soon) so I made them interface with the threaded features in the bed. Once I've got the rails, I'll revise and maybe make some adapters so they'll work for both. Anyway, to verify my model, I cut a test panel from thin aluminum and bent it up.
sAprUPy.jpg

Made a couple of quick adjustments and frantically sketched up a full panel to test out. From there, I 'flatten' the part in CAD, export a DXF file and bring it into a program called sheetcam, where I can generate the gcode for the plasma table. In this case, we're cutting the prototypes from 11ga mild steel.
oXNbh6J.jpg

Then into a program called commandcnc, which is what actually drives the table. As you can see, I decided to live a little and cut driver and passenger side simultaneously.
BNXs2Ju.jpg

Lots of cut time on the plasma table, but it went smoothly. My table has automatic torch height control, so as the plate deforms with the heat of cutting, the torch head maintains a proper distance and keeps the cut clean.
0SCx7gs.jpg

I didn't snap a picture of the least pleasant part, which is deburring the parts and cleaning them up, but these cut pretty well, so it didn't take much. Went ahead and bent them up using our little SWAG offroad finger break. This picture shows the cut quality we're getting from this Starlab table - pretty impressive for a plasma cutter.
rUT69SY.jpg

Finally, shot it with some paint and let it cook in the driveway before installing.
VTvtzwh.jpg

I finished the other side as well as some front panels and got them installed and attached some gear. I'll put some miles on them to make sure everything is good, but I'm super, super happy with how they turned out. This post juuuust might be the unofficial introduction of our first product for the JT platform. I'm excited to revise them for the trail rail system and refine the lower mounting point a bit, but for a first revision, these are super close. I took some 'installed' photos this afternoon, so I'll pull those off of my camera tonight.

Matt
Easter Egg better be a plywood badge etching! You know what I love about this? When you think all this stuff is what you do after work. Brilliant stuff and appreciated!

side012.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
These OEM floor mats are pretty excellent. Better than the weathertechs and husky liners I've had in previous trucks for sure. Integrating the floor drain is great. I haven't cut them out yet, but will.
j7ebdSU.jpg

8piJ3Qm.jpg

4u8oXVJ.jpg

KuRWvu9.jpg

Matt

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
These OEM floor mats are pretty excellent. Better than the weathertechs and husky liners I've had in previous trucks for sure. Integrating the floor drain is great. I haven't cut them out yet, but will.
j7ebdSU.jpg

8piJ3Qm.jpg

4u8oXVJ.jpg

KuRWvu9.jpg

Matt
Do you see any issues with installing the slush mats without the carpet installed?

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Do you see any issues with installing the slush mats without the carpet installed?
Hmm, that hadn't crossed my mind. The only thing I can think of is if the 'anchors' are a part of the carpets. I imagine you could get creative and work around that. I'll take a look over lunch.

Matt

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j7ebdSU.jpg

8piJ3Qm.jpg

4u8oXVJ.jpg

KuRWvu9.jpg

Matt
Dang, really? I was hoping the weathertechs would be better. There is a log of carpet by the go-go-foot that i thought weathertech covered.

I certainly prefer the JEEP and terrain topography details of the mopar ones though.
4u8oxvj-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Dang, really? I was hoping the weathertechs would be better. There is a log of carpet by the go-go-foot that i thought weathertech covered.

I certainly prefer the JEEP and terrain topography details of the mopar ones though.
I should clarify, I meant as far as quality, fit and finish. The weathertechs for this particular truck may provide better coverage - that I dont know!

Matt

Drysdale

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

4u8oxvj-jpg.jpg
What do you think they are rubber or plastic?

OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
What do you think they are rubber or plastic?
They're a stiff rubber.

I don't know if I posted these here yet, but I got all of the prototype gear installed and am really happy with it. Going to make some changes to accommodate the Trail Rail system, but as a concept, these are great. Here's some photos of the first gen prototypes.

Starting a bit of a group buy type of thing over in the bed mods forum. Click for more info - don't wanna derail this thread!

Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight's 2020 Gladiator Build Thread {filename}

On the driver's side, I've got a fire extinguisher and my Krazy Beaver Tools shovel, secured using a pair of our Riser Mounts.

On the Passenger's side, I've got a pair of our Super Clamp Riser Mounts securing a tie down strap and our Rotopax Adapter Bracket along with a Rotopax mount and gear can.

Next, time to pull it all off so that I can install the Mopar Trail Rail kit!

Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuiltRight

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Alright, so I finally got the Trail Rail kit that I pre-ordered a while back and had some time to strip all of the gear out of my bed and install them.

Initial impressions are that I always like receiving something that's packaged well and this fits the bill. No bells and whistles, but the pre-cut foam inserts did their job well. Removing one of the rails led to another surprise - these things are beefy! I was relieve to see this, as I'm hoping to mount my low-rise bed rack directly to the rail for reasons both obvious and not (I'll address that in a different post). The kit includes three rails and all necessary hardware. Tools necessary were a T30 torx socket, a torque wrench and a wrench and socket to fit the makeshift nutsert tool I'm about to show you.

Loved that they used a small amount of foam to protect the paint surface during installation. They also have push clips permanently installed, which as far as I can tell serve only to help initial positioning and single-handed installation, which turned out to be really nice.

And a look into the end of the aluminum extrusion with an end cap removed. Nothing much to see.

Installation

The first step in the installation (well, I suppose you could install the front rail first, but that's boring) is to install the nutsert that Mopar includes in the kit on each side. This fills the hexagonal cutout in the pillar at the rear of the bed, near the tailgate. I don't understand why they didn't just install a threaded insert from the factory like the other holes, but whatever.

This thing sorta sucks. The nutsert that they include is cleverly hexagonal as well and fits snuggly into the cutout in the truck.

That's where the fun stops. Instructions say to use one of the included fasteners to install the nutsert. Basically, you tighten it down, it bunches up the sleeve and locks the nutsert into place (see illustration). That's great, if the nutsert doesn't just deform and spin inside of it's hexagonal cutout. Womp womp. Now the nutsert is stuck in place but also spinning and useless.

Luckily, I've had some experience with these things and know that they don't need to be hexagonally shaped to work. In fact, most are round. The idea is to keep the insert from spinning and 'pull' the threaded portion back out towards you, sandwhiching the panel. We can accomplish this with a nut, bolt and washer in the configuration below. This is M6x1.0 hardware.

With the bolt threaded all the way into the insert, we push the insert into place (or install in place, if you get stuck like me). Next, use a socket to hold the end of the bolt and keep it and the insert from spinning in place. Then, tighten the nut against the insert and keep going. This should require firm force, but nothing near your body weight. as you tighten the nut down, the bolt will be pulled towards you, along with the threaded portion of the insert. This creates the sandwhich we need. When the effort required increased, I called it good.

With that, we can proceed with the rest of the very simple installation. Each rail has four T30 torx fasteners and the instructions call for a Torque in the neighborhood of 10NM. This is pretty important, I've found, as they rails are meant to hold a pretty decent weight. Under torquing can mean that the rail isn't transferring the load into the bedside wall as intended. Too much torque and you might over-stretch the fastener, causing or initiating early failure. Anyway, if you have a torque wrench, use it. if not, use this as an excuse to buy one.

That's all for now!

Matt
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.