kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
Hey all,
I am new to the offroad world and would appreciate some insight into beadlock wheels. Could some folks more knowledgeable than myself please let me know about the benefits of beadlocks? I get that they hold the bead and allow you to run lower PSI. Looking for real life experiences and info on tolerances of standard non beadlocks (how low can you safely run your tires with X setup on X terrain). Pictures of ones you like or ones on your JT would be great too.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Hey all,
I am new to the offroad world and would appreciate some insight into beadlock wheels. Could some folks more knowledgeable than myself please let me know about the benefits of beadlocks? I get that they hold the bead and allow you to run lower PSI. Looking for real life experiences and info on tolerances of standard non beadlocks (how low can you safely run your tires with X setup on X terrain). Pictures of ones you like or ones on your JT would be great too.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve run beadlocks before, and put them at 4 psi. That was for serious rock crawling. For general use, I don’t necessarily recommend them unless you are really going to use them for what they are intended. You can usually run around 10-12 psi (I used to go 8 psi in my old 14.50 Super Swamper Radials) in a 12.50 tire for moderate rock crawling and off roading without issues as long as you keep the wheel width between stock and 9”. The main drawback to beadlocks (other than cost) on road is their weight, and the legal implications in some jurisdictions. AEV, Method, Mopar, Hutchinson, and Walker Evans are some of the nicer alloy beadlocks wheels. I don’t recommend steel beadlocks for on road use at all. That said, if I had the budget, I would go straight to AEV +25 Borah beadlocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve run beadlocks before, and put them at 4 psi. That was for serious rock crawling..
Hey thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you could run that low pressure safely w/o beadlocks. They almost definitely dont make sense for my application then. Do you reckon I could safely run 37x11.50 on the stock wheel? 12.50??

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Hey thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you could run that low pressure safely w/o beadlocks. They almost definitely dont make sense for my application then. Do you reckon I could safely run 37x11.50 on the stock wheel? 12.50??
I’ve run 37x12.50 tires on stock 17” JK wheels, and plan to do the same on my JT unless I can find a few extra dollars somewhere for aftermarket wheels.

OP
OP

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve run 37x12.50 tires on stock 17” JK wheels, and plan to do the same on my JT unless I can find a few extra dollars somewhere for aftermarket wheels.
You the man. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

BosRacing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2018 MegaCab, 2020 Gladiator
Please don't take this the wrong way....but if you are asking about the benefits of beadlocks, you probably don't need them.

Beadlocks cost more than standard wheels. Most beadlocks are not DOT approved, therefore you shouldn't run them on the street. The ones that are DOT approved, cost substancially more. Beadlocks require maintenance, whereas standard wheels typically don't.

As for me, I only run beadlocks. ;)

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
run a set of beadlocks daily, but I also use them also. I swapped them over from my JK. Hopefully at Silver lake Sand dunes here shortly

ups.jpg

wyldefreebyrd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Daily driver here with Method beadlocks. No issues, just check the bolts once a week or so and you're good.
IMG_1914.JPG

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
83C6E226-1545-493F-987F-E740AF4E17C9.jpeg
AEV Borah’s can be ran beadlock or non beadlock i run the non bead Rock rash.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Please don't take this the wrong way....but if you are asking about the benefits of beadlocks, you probably don't need them.

Beadlocks cost more than standard wheels. Most beadlocks are not DOT approved, therefore you shouldn't run them on the street. The ones that are DOT approved, cost substancially more. Beadlocks require maintenance, whereas standard wheels typically don't.

As for me, I only run beadlocks. ;)
I have been looking into beadlocks and was curious on what type of maintenance you or anyone else on the forum typically do on them?

Sponsored

Frostbite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have been looking into beadlocks and was curious on what type of maintenance you or anyone else on the forum typically do on them?
I just check the torque on the beadlock bolts every oil change during my tire rotation. I run KMC Machete Beadlocks daily.
Jeep Gladiator Beadlocks for the JT 20190914_101105

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I just check the torque on the beadlock bolts every oil change during my tire rotation. I run KMC Machete Beadlocks daily.
Jeep Gladiator Beadlocks for the JT 20190914_101105
Okay thanks! Thatreally doesn’t seem like a PIA.. I’ve been doing a little work and the only drawbacks I’ve seen is cost. Found a DV8 wheel on Quadratech going for $300 as the most reasonable so far.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/882-series-wheel

I like your setup. What wheel/tire combo are you working with??

Frostbite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay thanks! Thatreally doesn’t seem like a PIA.. I’ve been doing a little work and the only drawbacks I’ve seen is cost. Found a DV8 wheel on Quadratech going for $300 as the most reasonable so far.

It really isn't a ton of extra work. If you wheel a lot its worth it.

I'm running this setup..
KMC XD229 Machete w/ 3.5" backspacing
38x13.50 17 Milestar Patagonia MT
I painted the ring to match the red on the tow hooks and other things. They get scratched up in the rocks but they look nice when fresh.
Jeep Gladiator Beadlocks for the JT 20190831_183732_46925B09-1100-4454-B99D-7742BB64CD83

Frostbite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also... I think those wheels are pretty sharp. Almost like a Dirty Life wheel. Not to bash Quadratec (I like looking at their catalog as much as anyone) but I find that I can usually find parts for cheaper by emailing or calling the smaller - Mid sized shops. I would email Marcus at River City Offroad and see if he could get you a better price. I choose to spend my hard earned money with him. TBH there are a lot of good shops out there, but I have no shame putting him out there as one of the good guys. @River City Offroad

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also... I think those wheels are pretty sharp. Almost like a Dirty Life wheel. Not to bash Quadratec (I like looking at their catalog as much as anyone) but I find that I can usually find parts for cheaper by emailing or calling the smaller - Mid sized shops. I would email Marcus at River City Offroad and see if he could get you a better price. I choose to spend my hard earned money with him. TBH there are a lot of good shops out there, but I have no shame putting him out there as one of the good guys. @River City Offroad
Great points. I will give them a look. I think in these trying times the more local you can get the better.

Spoke to my local shop and he was all about getting the cheapest wheel you can. Mainly that if you use them then the abuse is unavoidable. So might as make it more disposable. Sounds like yours have been scuffed pretty good. I guess you can just repaint it too!
Sponsored