Sponsored

3.6L not direct injected?

Placebo12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Worth noting that "catch cans" will not pass emissions tests in many if not most locales.

High revving relatively "loose" engines (by design and necessity) will have in some cases considerable crankcase pressure, and will aspirate a not insignificant amount of engine oil which will carbonized in the intake/intake port area disrupting air flow, reducing horsepower and in some cases intake valve failure.

My personal opinion is that the gains with GDI are not significant enough over port injection to make it worth the hassle. A hybrid design like in the EB mitigates the carbon problem at the cost of additional complexity.

I'd like to see FCA stay with port injection, reduce compression ratios, and add forced induction to make some more power. Couple to the existing 870RE and you'll have something.
Yeah, the catch can will make you fail the visual for smog here in CA. I agree that the gains from GDI or hybrid systems aren't worth it, but I think emissions and CAFE regulations will force automakers to design all their new engines with at least GDI.

I hope i'm wrongs but Jeep is going through a lot of trouble to make people adopt the 2.0L over the 3.6L. Its only a 2mpg combined increase in some models but the regulations are really forcing manufacturers to change up their least efficient models.
Sponsored