Sponsored

More Dog Friendly

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
@ColdSRT , I like your plan. I too have been thinking about pulling out the back seats and storage container. The Seat delete with storage panels is a nice touch.

For anybody thinking about using the pickup bed for short trips, you might want to skip the factory spray in Bedliner. I just left my local dealer, and the black liner sitting in the sun was much hotter than the unsprayed white bed. I ordered my Overland in all white to keep it cooler in the sun, but would like to add a tan Bedliner instead of black to hopefully reduce the heat. Even so, we'll probably need to add a canopy or something to shade the bed for the pups.
Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Sounds like you are going all out. Your dog will sure appreciate it, as will you.

The second biggest thing I notice next to room for the pups is overall storage. The locking underseat rear storage is a good option for most, but doesn't work with the dogs. Haven't found any front undersest storage options yet. The rear of our cab is different than the JL so overhead nets aren't available yet, to the best of my knowledge. That should happen pretty soon I would think. I will be looking into one when available. For now, the best we can come up with for smaller stuff is MOLLE bags on the back of the front seats.

I can try and get measurements if you need them for the build. Take care.

As far as storage. I plan on having him address this underneath the platform. Hard to explain without graphics. Something similar to this would be ideal. Again with one for jack access, and other side storage. I would prefer the sides being a little more finished myself. Maybe room for a long gun underneath.

GG22.jpg

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
As far as storage. I plan on having him address this underneath the platform. Hard to explain without graphics. Something similar to this would be ideal. Again with one for jack access, and other side storage. I would prefer the sides being a little more finished myself. Maybe room for a long gun underneath.

GG22.jpg
My service dog travels everywhere as well and this is what I was thinking as well, and the platform will bring him up a little higher so he can see out.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
My service dog travels everywhere as well and this is what I was thinking as well, and the platform will bring him up a little higher so he can see out.

Time will tell. I feel this is not going to happen next month thing and will take myself and many other *hint, hint* to light a fire under goosegears ass to make a solution that fits our needs and does so elegantly!

I also would love to see a underneath the drivers seat drawer like that from a jk for a pistol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
Time will tell. I feel this is not going to me a happen next month thing and will take myself and many other *hint, hint* to light a fire under goosegears ass to make a solution that fits our needs and does so elegantly!

I also would love to see a underneath the drivers seat drawer like that from a jk for a pistol.
I'm also interested in underseat storage for the front. The gladiator needs all the help it can get with storage. Surprised there's nothing out for the JL yet, that I can find.

Sponsored

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
In the JL forum, TRZ posted about adding vinyl to the interior door panels for protection. I might give this a shot if I can figure out some way to protect the arm rest as well.

e24d464a-5542-40b2-865e-984424bb0029-jpeg.jpg

Based on another member’s post, I added vinyl to the top portion of the rear doors to try to prevent dog nail scratches. I chose carbon fiber look because of all the vinyl in my 3M sample book, the carbon fiber resisted scratches the best.

2DDF464A-8FE0-4613-B52F-662E1DB407EE.jpeg
I haven’t tested it out yet, but it’ll most likely be sacrificial, requiring periodic replacing. I saw no claw marks on the armrest, so didn’t bother, but the armrest is not a hard surface, so vinyl isn’t going to stick very well.

I bought 1’x5’ of this stuff off eBay: 3M 1080 CFS12 CARBON FIBER BLACK Vinyl Vehicle Car Wrap Decal Film Sheet Roll

OP
OP
ColdSRT

ColdSRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon--2018 Jeep GC Trackhawk--99 Jeep Cherokee
In the JL forum, TRZ posted about adding vinyl to the interior door panels for protection. I might give this a shot if I can figure out some way to protect the arm rest as well.

e24d464a-5542-40b2-865e-984424bb0029-jpeg.jpg

That would be a nice option for the top of the door. The big issue is the rest of the door like the OP pointed out. I'm afraid that there won't be a perfect solution for everyone.

On another note, I am still working on the modified Amazon covers. The shop I use is backed up with boat tops and other projects so the lead time is at least a couple more weeks. They probably would have knocked it out while I waited if it were winter. I will update when they're done.

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I'm very curious how this goes. The ONLY reason I haven't traded my JKU for a Gladiator to this point is we don't know how to handle the dog. We currently tow a pop up camper regularly with the JKU and we bring my 2 kids (4 and 6) both in car seats. My ~60lb 12 y/o lab gets the whole back of the JKU to herself. She's too old to leave randomly in the bed, and she's absolutely part of the family and needs to come with us.

The working theory is MAYBE we can put the kids on the "60" portion of the backseat and figure out a way the dog can occupy the "40" portion. I'm assuming the storage box is gonna have to go. I'm wondering if I can also rip out the lower part of the seat easily, or maybe even the whole seat? Anyone have any first-hand experience?
ac

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I'm very curious how this goes. The ONLY reason I haven't traded my JKU for a Gladiator to this point is we don't know how to handle the dog. We currently tow a pop up camper regularly with the JKU and we bring my 2 kids (4 and 6) both in car seats. My ~60lb 12 y/o lab gets the whole back of the JKU to herself. She's too old to leave randomly in the bed, and she's absolutely part of the family and needs to come with us.

The working theory is MAYBE we can put the kids on the "60" portion of the backseat and figure out a way the dog can occupy the "40" portion. I'm assuming the storage box is gonna have to go. I'm wondering if I can also rip out the lower part of the seat easily, or maybe even the whole seat? Anyone have any first-hand experience?
ac
Check my ARB fridge posts in Interior Mods. Pics of driver side rear passenger seat removed are there. Just a few minutes to remove the seat assembly.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ac
Took our dogs on a short trip today. Unless you plan on them using the seat, the box absolutely has to go. The floor between the box and front seat isn't enough space. We folded up the bottom portion of the seat, but I think they would be more comfortable with it removed. One pup is a 70ish pound Lab, and the other is a 30 pound Cavachon.

Sponsored

avc8130

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Took our dogs on a short trip today. Unless you plan on them using the seat, the box absolutely has to go. The floor between the box and front seat isn't enough space. We folded up the bottom portion of the seat, but I think they would be more comfortable with it removed. One pup is a 70ish pound Lab, and the other is a 30 pound Cavachon.
My thought is to leave the box, but remove the seat bottom. Then I'll build a new "floor" that is flat for as large as it can be in that area. Any pics of your pups in the space?

Bunker_Bear

First Name
Bear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I'd really appreciate any pics of dogs in the back seat area of a JT. I've got 2 Dutch Shepherd's (~65lbs each). They aren't BIG dogs, but I'm trying to figure out if they can ride comfortably in the back with the seats folded up. They ride happily in the back of an older GMC 2500 extended cab (suicide doors vs full 4) which is a bigger truck but I assume it has a smaller rear cab area.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-07-14.gif

My black lab is ~70lbs.
The covers make the back look a little more cramped than it actually is. We put the covers in to protect the back from muddy pups after a kayak trip.
The dogs went for a spin without the covers yesterday, and they had plenty of space. I'm still thinking about removing the rear seat though.

Troutman

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 jkx, 16 jkuhr, 2020 gladiator
i have used the hammocks in jeeps past and have never had any issue with them, i have a 140 lb Bernese mountain dog

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
Working on making the new Jeep more dog friendly. I have a 1 year old and a 9 year old Aussie. They love rides and I'm not in the least bit worried about the younger one, but the rear door isn't wide enough for his ramp that helps him get in and out without hard jumps Might work with removing the limiting straps.

For now, I have two schools of thought. First is what I'm working with now by pulling the underseat storage and making the floor as flat as possible. That leaves the standoffs to cover with a folded blanket but is otherwise flat. They ride pretty low that way so the second idea is one of those dog hammocks for the seat. It would get them up higher so they could see out but they look out, but they look like one of those things that looks like a great idea but is not even close in reality. Anyone use one in a JK or JL and have any input? Thanks.

Pics for reference.

81zfgpoAZDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20190621_114828.jpg

I go to pick up my Gladiator Monday and need to take out the underseat divider so my Service dog has room to sit. What tools do I need to remove them?
Sponsored