Sponsored

Rubicon Rear Differential

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Does anyone know if the Rubicon's rear diff is limited slip when not locked?
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
OP
OP
TheITGuy

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, thanks.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Okay, thanks.
I am pretty sure all JT, (including the Rubicon) get brake lock differentials (fake lockers achieved via applying brakes to the side without traction). Might want to fact check me on that.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I am pretty sure all JT, (including the Rubicon) get brake lock differentials (fake lockers achieved via applying brakes to the side without traction). Might want to fact check me on that.
This is true, and it works quite well. In reality, you could say that all modern cars have this, in the form of traction control.

Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
That's all part of the traction control sway and yaw control. I'm interested in how well it works. My Silverado has it along with a limited slip and it can be counter product with the two systems working. Had a few instances when the rear end would lock and the truck start moving only for the sway control to kick in and apply brakes but once the rear was lock it stopped the axle as a whole and stopped all momentum.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The BLD system on Jeeps is programmed a little differently than your average traction control systems. I have found that it works fantastic offroad and I prefer it over the Trac-Lok.

The TJ Rubicon is the only one that had the Trac-Lok and Tru-Lok combined in the differential.

OP
OP
TheITGuy

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The BLD system on Jeeps is programmed a little differently than your average traction control systems. I have found that it works fantastic offroad and I prefer it over the Trac-Lok.

The TJ Rubicon is the only one that had the Trac-Lok and Tru-Lok combined in the differential.
Okay, thanks. Any experience with snow covered roads?

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
This is true, and it works quite well. In reality, you could say that all modern cars have this, in the form of traction control.
So . . . the Sport S or Overland don't necessarily "need" to have a rear locker, because it's, lets say; muddy or sandy slippery situation arises, the computer will "take care of "business" sort of like in my WK2 Trail Rated in "auto mode" ?
Pardon my lack of expertise . . . I'm just a moron wanting to learn, so that I will feel confident on the trail in a Sport S or Overland without the rear locker option ! OR, should I play it safer and get the regular axles & the Locker Option ?
Most of you guys know I'm not your Traditionally "wacky" off Road "Mad" Crawler (kidding of course) . But Occasionally I'll find myself in a difficult to turn around situation of Mud or sand or bush lined narrow trail (in the WK2) - hopefully a JT (longer) by years end . :whatsgoingon: :headbang:

Last edited:

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Hi - I believe JT Rubicon does not get "brake lock differentials" as I think you described. Rubicon's have electronically actuated selectable lockers. They are open until the mechanism is activated and the differential is locked in place. See 14:19 of this video (explaining Eaton e-lockers which are mechanically the same principle). Rubicon axles do not use the brake system to simulate locked differentials. I believe what you are describing is how modern traction control system works and I believe that is how a JT's traction control system works when in 2H and 4H.

Sponsored